Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Locarno Saturday

Windsurfing shop talk

by Mike » Sun May 16, 2021 7:10 am

Nice windfoil session. Not really a test of the "classic" 10 knot Jericho day but still some things learned.

A good number of other windfoilers and kite foilers, a few on fin (occasionally when wind was up). Saw some wingfoilers but I didn't actually see any make a go of it (not up on foil - maybe some did?).

Started 6.8 (powerful foil sail) on 76 Slingshot foil in say 12-13 knots. Very easy to get going - minimal pump. After an hour or so wind was up to say 16 (17?) knots. 6.8 still ok but feeling big so in to re-rig to 4.8 freestyle sail as my 5.3 is under repair. Wind dropped back to 12-13 as I was re-rigging! Went out anyways to see what would happen. After a short bit of sholging & failed pumping the wind came back to maybe 15-16 knots. I looked at the Jericho sensor wind history after and it showed 15.5 knot gust. With some solid pumping effort (like sprinting) the 4.8 was enough to get and go. This, I can see, is where windfoiling is at since the small sail was very sweet once up on the foil. Was able to push with confidence whereas a bigger sail I would have held back to maintain control. So, if Squamish ceases to exist (hopefully not) then it turns out the 4.8 freestyle sail will have a new use.

Super warm water - swimmers out. Should have used my lighter/cheaper/older 4/3 wetsuit.
Mike

by imdmitry » Sun May 16, 2021 9:55 am

I had best foil day of the year at Jericho.
Very steady wind, bear foot, sunny and warm water. The whole bay was filled in. Going half way close to tankers still windy, coming back to the beach and kite still stay in air (not dropping as usually).
Started at 8:30am with 13kn and went all the way to second dolphin, swell was bigger and wind picked up almost to 17kn. Then sail between Locarno and Spanish banks in 16kn, on my 9m sometimes depowred a little.
Finished at 3pm, still was windy, but couldn't do it anymore.
imdmitry

by Slappy » Sun May 16, 2021 11:45 am

It wasn't so consistent up at Acadia but still a fun day out on the water.

Slappy

by shmish » Sun May 16, 2021 2:00 pm

Mike wrote:This, I can see, is where windfoiling is at since the small sail was very sweet once up on the foil. Was able to push with confidence whereas a bigger sail I would have held back to maintain control. So, if Squamish ceases to exist (hopefully not) then it turns out the 4.8 freestyle sail will have a new use.

Money notwithstanding and for those that are interested, I think getting a cammed foil sail and a race foil could be the future for summer sailing. According to the interwebs, people are using the IQFoil kit (900 cm high aspect wing, 9m^2 foil sail, 95cm wide board) from 6 knots to 25 knots. Certainly no one will be missing out on swell in a local 12 knot summer breeze. Out of that 6-25 k range, I wonder how much of it people consider to be fun?
shmish

by Mike » Sun May 16, 2021 4:55 pm

shmish wrote:Out of that 6-25 k range, I wonder how much of it people consider to be fun?

Kind of out of my area of actual practice but I'd guess it's the classic 10-12 Jericho that is most fun. Up and go easy then you work the apparent wind to more than wind speed so it feels fast. I suspect that as the wind speed increases, so does the top speed and technical aspects. Could be fun at the low end too but I suspect there's some work and skill at getting going.

I think that kind of gear is quite specialized to do one thing (and do it well). The variation would be wind speed.
Mike

by JonathanP » Sun May 16, 2021 9:23 pm

Will definitely be interesting to see what future gear can do! I'm super impressed with the wind range that feels comfortable on old sails and only second gen foils. I'd imagine Jericho could be foilable regularly on a 5-6m sail with some improvements in foil efficiency and lighter weight gear all around.
JonathanP

by max.spock » Mon May 17, 2021 8:30 am

I've been using my 96L freestyle board, Severne Freak 5.2 with the Neilpryde Glide Wind Foil, Medium Slim Front Wing (1300cm2) in 10-12 knots at Cates Park and Dundarave. I'm 65kg and not very experienced with the foil but it seems to work just fine in those conditions. My recommendation is big wing small sail for those light days.
Cheers
max.spock

Return to Windsurfing