Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Shipping sails

Windsurfing shop talk

by Connor » Sun May 02, 2021 11:31 am

For people that have shipped sails out of Vancouver is there anywhere to source a free cardboard box for a 3m sail?

How was your experience shipping sails via Canada post?

Thanks
Connor

by grantmac » Sun May 02, 2021 11:56 am

Tape cardboard around the leech end and thick poly around the rest. The tighter you roll them the better they'll ship.
grantmac

by adam2 » Sun May 02, 2021 12:09 pm

I shipped a relatively lightweight 6.4 earlier this year to small-town Ontario for around $190 via UPS. Canada Post wouldn't touch it as it was too big and UPS tried to squeeze me for more money between when I had it quoted to when I shipped it. They are terrible, but the buyer was fine with paying.
adam2

by Bryanl » Sun May 02, 2021 3:15 pm

I shipped 3 sails back to Sailworks - made 1 cardboard box out of 3 - lots of tape.
Shipped Fed Ex - took it to their depot- went perfectly.
Sorry - don't remember the cost.
Bryanl

by Connor » Mon May 03, 2021 3:51 pm

Thanks for the experience and advice. Since this sail is so small it is quoted around $50 to ship to Ontario.

Does anyone know If Canada post allows you to ship "Normal" sized items without a box? I am a bit nervous about shipping it without one but maybe it can be done?... if rolled tightly(reaching inside the sail and grabbing the top of the mast sleeve to get it nice and tight) maybe pack newspapers inside the sail and put some cardboard along the sail inside the sail bag or tape around the leech as mentioned above since that is the weakest area of the sail. I think this will work as long as something with much weight isn't put on top of it. Box would be better if we can find one.
Connor

by ZeroR2 » Mon May 03, 2021 6:46 pm

Connor wrote:Thanks for the experience and advice. Since this sail is so small it is quoted around $50 to ship to Ontario.

Does anyone know If Canada post allows you to ship "Normal" sized items without a box? I am a bit nervous about shipping it without one but maybe it can be done?... if rolled tightly(reaching inside the sail and grabbing the top of the mast sleeve to get it nice and tight) maybe pack newspapers inside the sail and put some cardboard along the sail inside the sail bag or tape around the leech as mentioned above since that is the weakest area of the sail. I think this will work as long as something with much weight isn't put on top of it. Box would be better if we can find one.

Are you asking if you should ship a sail without a box?
ZeroR2

by Richi » Tue May 04, 2021 11:06 am

Hi Connor, just wondering what courier gave you the best rate ($50)

I might be shipping some equipment to Ontario soon, so would be helpful.

cheers, Rich
Richi

by imdmitry » Tue May 04, 2021 11:45 am

Richi wrote:Hi Connor, just wondering what courier gave you the best rate ($50)

I might be shipping some equipment to Ontario soon, so would be helpful.

cheers, Rich

I sent a 3.0 to ON via Canada Post at the end it was $62.
Got the free box from Northshore Ski and Board, when I was there to buy a new spreader bar.
imdmitry

by adam2 » Tue May 04, 2021 12:05 pm

I know when I shipped via UPS I made a box and tried to make it conform to the sail bag as much as possible, even then it added significantly to the cost. That said, neither the buyer, nor I, felt comfortable shipping it without the box.
adam2

by Connor » Tue May 04, 2021 5:54 pm

Thanks for all the replies!
Got it all sorted out. About $60 to Ontario seems to be the going rate with Canada post in a box with sails of this size. My buddy got a 3.8 from Winnipeg for $50 shipping. I think the cost goes up quite a bit on bigger sails as many carriers don't want to deal with the length of some of the sails unfortunately.
FYI most music stores give free gutair boxes just have to ask. But getting the ideal size box from a windsurf shop is always easier.
Connor

Return to Windsurfing