Not for a 5m. :D
decman_r

by Alton » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:29 pm

Madness !!!

BoundaryBay_Tue_Jan_5.gif
BoundaryBay_Tue_Jan_5.gif (22.81 KiB) Viewed 7159 times
Alton

by 8mdude » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:41 pm

Windiest session of the year. Managed to control my 3.1m ^2 sail after removing my Covid 19 gloves
8mdude

by Mike » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:16 pm

Glad I got there early enough for a good session in "appropriate" conditions. Most folks left at the right time leaving a smaller group when it kicked into the mid 40s or so gusts. Rain and spray from water did a good job of exfoliating my face. I did not last long before conceding as it was all I could do to hang on and it seemed like something bad was going to happen any moment.
Mike

by johnny2 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:20 pm

A tale of two sessions today. First session, perfectly dialed on the 4.2/82L. Tide was pretty high all morning and there were a few scraps of rides to be found in amongst the messy chop. Lots of happy faces. Came in around 1pm for a water break as most of the morning shift crew were checking out and the afternoon shift guys were arriving. Hit the water again and after 1 reach, it was time to rig down to the smallest gear you had. 40-45 knots and I would have quit then if it weren't for the waves setting up super clean at first bank. So rigged up the 3.1. Got some nice rides with the 3.1/82L combo for 30 mins and then it just got silly. Sailing completely sheeted out and still insanely overpowered and tail walking. Rain driven by 50+ knot gusts pelting your eyes. Threw in the towel after an hour of survival sailing while I was still ahead. 2 guys still on the water when I left at 3pm and couple others waiting for the wind to die down so they could maybe sail some more. All in all, a great day. I was impressed to see two kiters still out on the water when I left.
Last edited by johnny2 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnny2

by imdmitry » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:22 pm

My plan was to windfoil at Jericho but couldn't open container with gear.
Had to go back home get small kite and go to BB. Launched under powered on 5m and surfboard, then it was perfect, but after 1:30pm, it became super gusty, nuking, and total survival. Fully depowered and still was too much. At that point didn't see any kite out decided to come back as well.
Had lots of fun wave rides far out and downwind from 3d.
imdmitry

by Brian C » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:05 pm

Nailed the “perfectly dialed 4.0/83L” session all morning! Sailed from about 10am - 1230 pm with one break to switch to the smaller board and refuel with a quick snack. Felt really good to sail “right-powered” for a change; could actually play on the waves when I found them. Once again, they seemed just as good at the 1st bank right off 3rd Ave as they were way outside at the 2nd bank.

Noticed it was suddenly nukin’ when I finished sailing and headed over to the concession to change and head home. Happy to have captured the civilized session!!
Ps - got the 340 mast top, thanks Dmitry.
Brian C

by Michael » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:23 pm

Wow! Showed up for the afternoon session and it looked like things had dropped off. Rigged 4.3, despite Mike's warning and the sound of the wind suddenly roaring through the trees. That was good for a reach and a half, then the 3.7 for 2 reaches, it was insane, at that point I thought I was done. Then I remembered I had an old Revo 3.4 in the van. I've been holding on to that sail for years and never used it. Like Mike said today was the day!
I can't believe how nice that sail is, I was really sceptical and almost didn't do it but glad I did. Even with the 3.4 I was over powered but felt mostly in control except for a few jumps. After a couple of reaches my confidence was up and sailed out a little farther. I found some nice waves on the outside, not big but lots of clean space between them and ripped into what felt like my fastest jibes ever, I was lit! It must have been close to 50 knots on the outside, I couldn't believe I actually made those jibes and survived, flipping that small sail was such a great feeling. Although the last reach I was totally out of control and just exploded into the water. A little shaken up after that I came back in and called it a day around 3:30. 2006 Revo saves the day, next trip to the Oregon Coast that sail is coming along!
Michael

by nicolas » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:55 pm

Glad I called sick today. Came in for the morning shift and sailed from 10:30am until 1pm. Used 3.7/80l combo. Sometime "undergunned" but overall a good decision based on my weight. It was nice to be in control for a change compared to last saturday. When I left, the nuking silly wind had just arrived as it could be heard roaring through the trees. Not too surprised to hear Michael rigging down two times from his 4.3 to 3.7 and then 3.4 as the graph looked absurd post 1pm :shock: .
Lots of happy faces as usual. Session enjoyed by 15+ windsurfers according to Tony including Gayle who was nailing it big time :D.
What a promising start to 2021 it has been my friends!
See you all for next session!
nicolas

by Jens » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:26 pm

That was nuts. Arrived for the afternoon shift. Choppy water a barely enough power with my size for 4.0. But that sure changed quick. Flattened it out as much as I could and did some survival sailing. Too scared to try to jump haha, did have a couple nice wave turns though:) been using my stock fins instead of weed fins last two sessions, what a difference!!
Waited around a bit more to see if it would drop a little but it just kept going!!

Took a few pictures today too:
https://jenskristianballe.com/Private/Boundary-Bay-Jan-5-2021/12/thumbs
Jens

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR