Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Moving

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by Chris Klohn » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:36 pm

100% on the boat. The two bays on the east side of echo island are awesome for sailing out of and camp. Great memories there too in my teens and twenties. Hope the scene has changed at Bear Creek. It's been 8 years since my last trip there.
Chris Klohn

by Brian C » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:40 pm

Yes, Bear Creek is usually windier than Rivtow (the breakwater launch near town). There are a few days a year when it blows late at Rivtow but never makes it to Bear Creek, but those are worth the risk of missing the Rivtow wind because the sailing at Bear Creek is so much better.
It's a bit of a long haul on the rough road (about 45 minutes of gravel each way) and going fast is a bad idea because of the embedded shale that can slash sidewalls. I've been there about a half dozen times and always been okay in cars and trucks, as long as you drive gently.
Once there it's worth staying overnight because it usually blows later in the day, and the campsite is beautiful at dusk and dawn. The rowdy-problem has been much better in recent years since there's been a camp host (and a fee), but I'd still avoid long weekends. Also, it can be hard to get a site on weekends if you're sleeping in your vehicle; most of the vehicle sites were washed away in the storm of 2007 but they built a really nice tent campsite with lots of well-spaced sites that you walk into. So if you have a truck or camper van, don't expect a spot on Fridays or Saturdays.
The wind is purely thermal so you ideally want it a bit cooler on the coast and it has to be hot in the interior. Don't bother with cloudy days. Bring a variety of gear - I've enjoyed everything from big-gear slalom to 4.0 bump-and-jump (with pretty decent waves due to the long fetch, unlike Rivtow). Also, there are VERY few boats down there on windy days, so don't sail alone and expect a rescue.
As for water temperature, it can be warm in August but it's a deep snow-fed lake so it's cold before then. It's super-clean and refreshing, unlike most of our favourite sailing spots.
I only seem to get there every few years now, but always love the spot. The scenery is gorgeous and the lake is great for paddling on no-wind days. My kids like it too.
Brian C

by Faceplant » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:52 pm

That sounds like a really nice alternative to going to Nicola (as nice as it is). I think a recon mission is in order to check out the drive, the site, and look for a boat launch. I'd be willing to camp there for a few days. Kiting being the number one objective, but having the boat for insurance. Maybe a group trip can be arranged. Claim a few spots, and keep our gear safe.
Faceplant

by tweegster » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:45 pm

I haven't camped at Bear Creek for at least 12 years, not since being a stupid rowdy teenager... would be fun to ride there.
tweegster

Previous

Return to General