Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

the best bits of the bay

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by Brad R » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:54 am

Hi all,

Seems like there is a little chatter about waves in White Rock: I have been exploring the various spots for a few years now and am posting a brief list of the best bits.

- in front of the river just north of the Peace Arch; this is wayy downwind of east beach but is really sets up the closest I have seen to down the line in the area. Dont know what it is about th shape of the river coming onto the sandbar but it sets up great on mid tide dropping with SW to NW wind... just watch out for small exposted pilings from old jetty.

- near the border marker (concrete monolith) on a lower tide at east beach - SW to NW

- By the south end of the pier breakwater (as you all discovered). the closer you get to the breakwater the spicier it gets! SW to WNW

- White rock west beach at the foor of the bluff - SKETCHY SPOT but amazing rampy waves. the trick is if you get too close to the bluff the wind back eddies and dies out while big waves deposit you onto moving boulders with no beach. Gary and I almost git seriously hurt here while we were seduced by the sweet waves there and have not been back since. Wrecked some gear too! If you keep your distance from the bluff and watch the wind line it is fantastic - SW to WNW.

- west side of pier - really fun shallow but long banks of gunbarrel straight waves just inside the pier. The wind is pitchy but its worth the struggle. really fun on WNW wind

- 1001 steps ; SSE to NW majic spot, deep water, no weeds, whales and porpoises in the spring. Big rolling swell that doubles on top of the chanel current out of cresc beach on dropping tide. shoreline produces fun waves; watch out for boulders just under the surface. Have surfed here on days too windy to sail. SE wind shadow makes it a great surf spot as waves wrap. One memorable party wave with Gary there.

- 101 steps: just moved to the top of this beach access so this will likely be my default spot now; it really has lit up the last couple of SW winds including this past sunday. It is basically the same setup as WRB with deep water breaking onto shallow sandbar. No weeds on this end of crescent, lots of room to launch (and change - clothing optional beach lol) . Have had one killer session here so far - great for goofy footed folks like myself - best SSE to NW

thats my teaser; if anyone has any questions about any of these ill do my best to explain. The main area at east beach is not neccesarily the best asiling area of the bay.

I missed out on Sunday because I had to do some work but wish I had played hookie after hearing about it!
Brad R

by Michael » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:49 pm

Thanks Brad! Hope to join you out at 101 steps one day. Missed you on Sunday!
Michael

by C36 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:34 pm

8-) Thanks Brad. Sorry you weren't on the water on last Sunday (you would have enjoyed the port favoured jumping).

Looking forward to sharing a session at either of the steps sites in future! :D

For clarity 101 steps and 1001 steps.
C36

by tweegster » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:15 pm

West side of the pier on mid tides is my favorite for SUP surfing on a SW to NW. Pier shots are doable on waist highs, very fun. Laps are easy using the pier to beak up the wind and waves, you can paddle out on the east side, duck through to west side and catch a wave back through. :mrgreen:

This was my sad pre-kite life, :lol:
tweegster

Return to General