Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

2014 Year End

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by tweegster » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:37 pm

Michael wrote:That's awesome! I wanna try that out, what were you using and where were you, near the pier?

[/quote]+1 for amazing! What an incredible experience! 8-) :D Would love to hear more too.

Enjoyed your 2014 summary too DB! :D[/quote]

First off... I am by no means a proficient or even competent fisherman, and would quickly starve if my life depended on it. So bare this in mind...

The little Campbell outlets into the bay down by the native reserve and has a small hatchery (Semiamoo Rod & Gun) on 12th ave.
http://www.sfgc.ca/#!hatchery/chy6

In September/October the Salmon come into the bay. They never seem interested because you can sight fish them and basically bounce the spoon off their head, but have never had them go for it. I spent two years doing this, made a seal friend and basically dicked around after work. I think the bay is too warm, although I would try paddling out fairly far. After the first October rain they all boogie up the river, so the actual "run" is very short.

I had been using spoons, but I talked to a guy who looked like a fisherman and he suggested spinner for the slow water and go right to the mouth of the river on the incoming tide. (I had tried trolling in the bay with a spinner before, but the eel grass makes it very frustrating and futile).

I did as he suggested and the first time out a fish savagely took the spinner. He spent more time airborne than in the water, it was really fun. I was totally jacked with adrenaline by the time he was tuckered out enough to get him on the board.

By the pier I have caught, and seen others catch little steelhead. They are so small I would feel bad keeping it, but others have said they make a good side.

In WR bring your crabtrap.

Looking forward to the pink run next year, Squamish 2013 was ridiculous. After kiting (lessons then), paddle out to the tide line, use a buzz bomb and catch your four salmon (half hour max). Makes the wife a little happier with your trip. After landing on your board, I was trying to kill them with my paddle, but a knife works much better. Bring a rope and run it through the gills and to your leash in case your fish slide off the board. Seals will stalk you.

In any rate its something to do when there is no wind.
tweegster

by Brian C » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:29 pm

Michael,
Tyson Poor is the champion at fishing from an SUP while sailing. He does it regularly at La Ventana. Wyatt showed me when I was there but I didn't have the knack on my first try.

Tyson has made a fishing rig that he attaches to the boom and board so he can troll while sailing. The trick is to get the speed right - subplaning but still fairly quick.

I think he has a video on the ProWindsurf La Ventana webpage but it's more of a promotion than a lesson. If you like I'll take some notes and pics when I'm there next month.

Brian
Brian C

by tweegster » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:49 pm

http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/v ... roduct=264

My buddy put one of these trolling mounts on his board, there are a few different ones on the market. Most manufactures now have a dedicated fishing sup in their lineup.

I use my dads old fishing lifejacket, it has pockets for lures, license and holds my reel at my chest with the rod over my shoulder. Its very comfortable to troll with.

Problem is that Sept/Oct also coincides with the eel grass molt in WR, making it frustrating. Probably had the wrong spoon/spinner at the wrong speed too. Either way I did not have much luck, but have caught a few steel head that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SjxKAiEezQ

Thresher shark landed on a SUP :shock:
tweegster

Previous

Return to General