Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

2014 Year End

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by tweegster » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:18 pm

I will cross post this from Kiteboard BC...

2014 started off not being able to ride upwind, had a blast progressing through the year.

Favorite Sessions,
Westport Washington Sept Labour Day weekend - first time kiting my shortboard, first time in solid open ocean waves (gentle jetty giants) had a blast, was less of a cluster than expected. 6'6" Anacapa Pro Standard & 13.5 Kahoona
Canada Day WR, Extended family picnic on the beach, scored an hour sunny board short session, showed off for grandma & Grandpa. 145 Best Breeze & 13.5 Kahoona
Late July, First Squamish session, totally intimidated, got on the water and realized all my garbage WR wind sessions made this a piece of cake. 140 Element & 10M EVO

Worst Session,
August Crescent beach swimmers itch, still makes my skin crawl.

Goals for 2015,
Get comfortable riding & jumping unhooked, strapless airs, increase my 50% gybe success rate & 0% tack success rate, have fun & get exercise.

Bring on the 2015 Spring Storms!!

Wife and Baby just woke up, Happy New Year!!

Jeff
tweegster

by Michael » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:14 pm

but surely there are a few more to report in (looks like there will be lots of time to do so before the next session :roll:

Highlights....
Learning to jibe in the straps, still can't do a normal carve jibe but who cares. :D
Sailing Switch planing!
Helitacks! and short board tacks!
Duck Jibes.
Backside riding switch!
Driving 24 hours to sail 2 days at Cape Sebastian!!! one of which I got the biggest ass kicking of my life. :o
20140630-_MG_5719.jpg
20140630-_MG_5719.jpg (120.62 KiB) Viewed 14952 times

14370806189_3fb2ebae62_b.jpg
14370806189_3fb2ebae62_b.jpg (266.24 KiB) Viewed 14952 times

Sailing a SW at Boundary Bay and the Clew-View boom mount!

Biggest Disappointment..... This fall season and No Loops! :evil:
Michael

by Mike » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:51 am

2014 was the best & worst year for me.

The worst in that various physical issues seriously cut into my time on water this year. I, however, fought it with a total of 69 windsurf sessions and 5 kite sessions. Total days ties my best which was my first full year in 2005 in which I was chasing any and all puffs of wind.

Windsurf: Highlights was definitely Maui wave sailing, a first for me in true surf waves. Most memorable is the epic wave rides and the couple of "surf warning, red flag" days with stunning 20 foot faces. Losing and chasing my gear a number of times also sticks in my mind. By the end, I prefer "surf advisory" days. 2015 goals include spocks, flakas and some Oregon coast waves.

Kiting: Pulled the trigger. As strange as it sounds, I consider this my "old man" sport as it's easier on the body and will hopefully allow me to save myself for the best windsurf days. The 5 session count may be a bit optimistic as a few of my sessions were quite short as the solo landing circumstance kept me to approx. 20 minutes tending downwind sessions. 2015 goals include TOW and all the basics eventually leading to a surf board.

SUP: No session count but was numerous surf sessions on no wind days in Maui. Never surfed before so my level was for much smaller waves than in windsurfing. I found this to be fun with some great R&R sessions but not jumping to get my own SUP especially since we don't have local surf conditions. Maybe in the future?

Alright, now that I'm back, turn up the temperature and turn on the wind!
Mike

by Michael » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:42 am

Alright, now that I'm back, turn up the temperature and turn on the wind!

Hey Mike, welcome back!! Hope to see you on the water again soon!
Michael

by Alton » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:58 pm

Mike wrote:... various physical issues seriously cut into my time on water this year ... Kiting: Pulled the trigger. As strange as it sounds, I consider this my "old man" sport ...

Hey "old man" - kiting sounds like a good fit for you now ;)
Once you start doing tricks, kiting will give you quite a workout. Hope to see you on the water soon.
Alton

by tweegster » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:24 pm

If we are counting SUP, after 3 years trying, my 2014 highlight was catching a coho in WR. I have SUP caught pink salmon before (in squampton), but the Coho was a whole new level of fight, and deliciousness.
Attachments
IMG1392.jpg
IMG1392.jpg (772.76 KiB) Viewed 14913 times
tweegster

by LeopardSkin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:30 pm

2015: I wanna learn a trick.
LeopardSkin

by Michael » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:07 pm

tweegster wrote:If we are counting SUP, after 3 years trying, my 2014 highlight was catching a coho in WR. I have SUP caught pink salmon before (in squampton), but the Coho was a whole new level of fight, and deliciousness.

That's awesome! I wanna try that out, what were you using and where were you, near the pier?
Michael

by ShonanDB » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:12 am

2014 was a mixed year for me. Least number of days on the water since 2009 and although some of the sessions were good, they weren't epic. About half of these sessions were less than an hour on the water as the wind backed off or died completely and I only had a narrow window of opportunity.

The Good
- my balance (and tacks) improved considerably due to many occasions of having to limp back to the beach on my 73L when the wind died
- found some new launches (Lily Point & Gulf Rd PR and Garry Point, Steveston)
- best jumps/most air in years on the days I did get out
- no long swims or injuries

The Bad
- Had my tie down straps break on the highway on the way home one day and watched (in my mirror) my quiver, 2 masts, and one of my booms blow off the roof and land on the road partially in the HOV lane with some gear getting run over (no accidents resulted thankfully!)
- broke some gear on the water but I was able to get back in and replace it quickly

In 2015 I want to:
- get more TOW
- get to Columbia Beach on a 4.0 day
- sail Lily Point more often
- get over to Bowen Island on one of those nuking outflow days as I found out a friend has recently moved there and there are a couple locations to launch from
- get down to the Oregon Coast at least once this Spring/Summer
- get down to the Gorge for a few long weekend trips
- surf locally (Ambleside, PR, or Wreck Beach) as well as get to Tofino or Jordan River a few times

Great sailing with everyone last year and I look forward to a windy and stormy 2015!
DB
ShonanDB

by C36 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:53 pm

tweegster wrote:If we are counting SUP, after 3 years trying, my 2014 highlight was catching a coho in WR. I have SUP caught pink salmon before (in squampton), but the Coho was a whole new level of fight, and deliciousness.

Michael wrote:That's awesome! I wanna try that out, what were you using and where were you, near the pier?

+1 for amazing! What an incredible experience! 8-) :D Would love to hear more too.

Enjoyed your 2014 summary too DB! :D
C36

PreviousNext

Return to General