Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

OR - Drysuits

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by Faceplant » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:14 pm

Anyone have any feedback on the ocean rodeo dry suits? I saw a Soul for sale used lately for 600, whereas new they are 850. Thinking of breaking the bank. Just curious about the dry suits without booties vs. suits with built in feet. I think the without option would be better due to the fact if the feet get worn (while walking or in foot straps) you won't worry about the integrity of the dry suit. Any body have the OR suits?
Faceplant

by Chris Klohn » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:24 pm

Hello,

I bought the Soul last Fall for cold weather sailing overseas. It's 110% worth the money in my books. It's as comfortable as wearing a Gortex jacket and bib pants, super light weight and tons of mobility.

I wear polypropylene long underwear underneath and have yet to be cold in water temperatures
down to 5 degrees. The construction has been bomb proof as well which is surprising given how light it feels.

I've put over 50 days on it this past year in conditions ranging from 2.7 - 4.7 and waves up to mast high. Never leaked, never been cold, never had an issue swimming for my gear after dozens of feet first and head first bails from high up.

I run Patagonia R5 boots and gloves with the Ocean Rodeo Soul and love the combo. I tried an Ion Fuse before I bought the Soul last year and couldn't get past the weight of it. The Soul felt like it weighed a 1/4 of the Fuse with 3 times the mobility. The durability has been outstanding so far.

I don't think you'll regret the choice or the $$$$ for a second after your first session. The boots, gloves and suit ran me about $1K with taxes shipped to the house.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by Faceplant » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:41 pm

Wicked! Awesome review. Tanks man!
Faceplant

by Chris Klohn » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:07 pm

No schwet :D
Chris Klohn

by LeopardSkin » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:15 pm

The OR Soul also has a fly. Super important when you have mis-session Black Russians.
LeopardSkin

by Chris Klohn » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:36 pm

LeopardSkin wrote:The OR Soul also has a fly. Super important when you have mis-session Black Russians.

:D
Chris Klohn

Return to General