Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Spit rigging area

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by Michael » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:24 pm

I think it would be fine to move the rigging area but access to the river is more important. The STEPS OF DOOM SUCK! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
A launch like they have in Hood River at the windsurf park would rock and if it was accessible from the rigging area that would be even better! Which would save having to navigate your way through traffic. Not sure if that's possible though? I didn't buy a pass this year because of the launch and as with Brian sailed out of Nexen when I could and only went to the spit 4 times.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 8.11.36 PM.png
THE STEPS OF DOOM!!!!
Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 8.11.36 PM.png (340.32 KiB) Viewed 12828 times
Michael

by AdrienGrelon » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:04 pm

I agree that the stairs are definitely the priority issue. I bruised my heel this summer by recklessly getting out on the current "stairs" and wore booties exclusively for foot protection thereafter, as you never really know what you're stepping on (and can't feel a thing once your feet are numb).

Someone pointed out the current "windsurfing launch area", that I didn't know about, to me half-way through the summer. It's just before the honey hole, where all the kiters come ripping in to do their tricks, made of death gravel, and in a strong wind shadow... all the reasons most windsurfers opt to take the steps of doom instead. It was a nice gesture of the kiters to put that in for us, but it's a disaster :D

As for rigging, like Tony said, on super busy days you can always carry your gear over to the stairs and rig there. If you're quick about it, I don't see that being a problem. The land/launch situation is definitely the priority for our dying breed.
AdrienGrelon

by LeopardSkin » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:27 am

LeopardSkin wrote:I always rig at the south end of the spit anyhow. My favorite spot is near the top of the stairs. I don't know why I'm the only windsurfer who does this.

At low tide, I rig on the sandbar at the tip of the wooden pier.

Just carry your gear in one trip "Hawaiian Style." It's the same method of carrying gear at Doug's Beach.

At 0:20, you can see Iballa Moreno carry her gear "Hawaiian Style."

LeopardSkin

by Alton » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:25 pm

telus022420 wrote:There have been complaints of kiters jumping and almost hitting windsurfers on the beach as they walk their board along the shore near the honey hole.

How would the windsurfing crowd feel about moving the windsurfing rigging area to the southern end of the spit?

Pros:
Away from the honey hole and Jumpers
Quicker access to the wind
Easier to come in.
Will not have to cross kite lines with rigged gear.
Away from the dog area/tourist.
Shorter distance to the riverside?

Cons:
Longer distance to the turn-around.

If this matters to you then you should attend the SWS AGM tomorrow Tue Nov 18 7pm at West Vancouver Yacht Club, 5854 Marine Drive, West Vancouver
Alton

by LeopardSkin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:54 am

LeopardSkin wrote:
LeopardSkin wrote:I always rig at the south end of the spit anyhow. My favorite spot is near the top of the stairs. I don't know why I'm the only windsurfer who does this.

At low tide, I rig on the sandbar at the tip of the wooden pier.

Just carry your gear in one trip "Hawaiian Style." It's the same method of carrying gear at Doug's Beach.

At 0:20, you can see Iballa Moreno carry her gear "Hawaiian Style."

And here's Oda Johanne carrying her gear "Hawaiian Style" at the beginning of the vid. Easy!

LeopardSkin

by Adrian L » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:07 am

Moving the rigging area south on the spit wouldn't be bad at all. Though I agree with Michael that the stairs into the river suck and need attention. The event site in hood river has a great launch, for sure, but don't think we are permitted to place concrete on the riverside??? I'm happy this topic has resurfaced. I was thinking about this problem in september, and I would totally volunteer my time on this project, with the permission of SWS. If concrete stairs are not an option, re-leveling the old wall slabs/ filling in voids, and interlocking flat stone work into the gravel area which is exposed at low tide would improve thing quite a bit.
Don't know if i can make it tonight, but will try. Anyone else going to make it?
Adrian L

by AdrienGrelon » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:01 pm

Adrian L wrote:Anyone else going to make it?

Massimo and I are heading to rep the young windsurfing population! You should definitely come out, especially given your building and chainsaw-wielding experience.
AdrienGrelon

by Alton » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:25 pm

At the SWS AGM, Denim said the windsurfer rigging area will not move. Instead the SWS staff will continue to ensure windsurfers have clear paths to launch points. Windsurfers have top priority so if necessary any windsurfer should just ask the SWS staff for assistance and they will make it happen.
Alton

by LeopardSkin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:29 pm

This vid specifically shows how to carry your gear "Hawaiian style."

LeopardSkin

by C36 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:56 pm

LeopardSkin wrote:This vid specifically shows how to carry your gear "Hawaiian style."

Learned two tricks (mast extension in the footstrap = board handle, better way to 'bundle'). Thanks Tony. :D
:idea: I added links to the video to "Tips" sections of both Locust and the Spit sailing site info pages.
C36

PreviousNext

Return to General