Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Gorge Camping

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by jking » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:14 am

heading down to the Gorge this weekend and was wondering if anybody has camped at either
1. Memaloose State Park (just east of Hood River)
and/or
2. Horsethief Lake State Park (just east of the Dalles on the Washington side)?

thanks
jking

by Michael » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:29 am

2. Horsethief Lake State Park (just east of the Dalles on the Washington side)?

If you camp there let me know how it is. I was looking at camping there last year with my family but couldn't go in the end. It looks like a very nice park. I posted the same inquiry last summer and got no response, I was surprised no one had camped there. Have fun!
Michael

by Brian C » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:17 pm

Memaloose is okay but they've closed off the river access due to liability with the trains, which can be frustrating for the kids. It's also a bit noisy due to trains and trucks, but not as bad as Viento. Upside with Viento is that it has a beach and (sometimes) sailing right there, but the trains are even noisier so it's best not to be tenting.
Most people prefer Tuckers about 15 min S of Hood River because it's quiet (only the rushing sound of Hood River), and cooler on hot days.
I didn't know you could camp at Horsethief - better check on that.
Brian C

by jking » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:57 pm

thanks boys...

will report back..

cheers
jking

by Luis » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:05 am

I was at Memaloose on the Canada day long weekend. Friendly people, clean showers and washrooms , large sites with lots of grass, some sites with water and power. The only problem was the noise from the highway. After a day of windsurfing and a couple of beers the problem was solved :)
Another good thing is that you can reserve your camp site online.
Luis

by jking » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:36 pm

just got back from the Gorge last week...

here's my two cents..

1. Memaloose (OR)- stayed there one night..$19/night

Pros..
1.friendly people (lots of Canadian windsurfers)
2. great view of the Gorge
3. plenty of campsites with shade

Cons..
1. highway noise (although didn't notice it) - alcohol was involved so......
2. train (didn't really notice it during the day but definitely was woken up during the night (once/twice)..tolerable i thought..

all in all, i would definitely stay here again for one or two nights...friendly wind enthusiast at the campsite and overall good times

2. Tucker (OR)

I've heard this is a popular campsite amongst the 'crew' but thought it was a little ways out of town..plus when i was there, they had a record heat wave...it seemed very hot at the campsite and decided to stay by the gorge (Memaloose)- was a lot cooler..

3. Rufus (OR)

did not camp here but kited here...i was told that it was a free camp site (there are basic washroom facilities..no electrical or water hookups..right by the river..would definitely stay there..it is by the highway but didn;t really notice the noise...i would think rigging a windsurfer and launching would be not a problem there but in my opinion, it would be nice to have a person to launch/ land a kite.

4. Maryhill campsite (WA)

just drove past but looked like a decent campsite...will definitely stay there next time and try it out..looked like there was a beach to launch kites...on the WA side...
jking

by jking » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:29 pm

just an update on Gorge camping..

just got back...

regarding Horsethief Lake..
1. great little area to spend the day (by the lake) but camping was a little disappointing...the camping area seemed to be by the parking lot..in fact, the tent camping looked like it was sectioned off in a gravel parking lot setting..ended up not staying there and moved on..

Maryhill State Camping

-looked liked a very nice camp site..didn't stay there as I was leaving that day but would definitely come back and camp there. Day area was nice with grassy shaded areas as well as a small beach by the river to go swimming.
jking

by Slappy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:26 pm

I've stayed at Memaloose with the family before. It's a decent spot but the wind at night can make for annoying fires with shifting smoke that chases you around. I didn't have any issues with the noise level but the tracks are really close.

There is loads of shade at Memalose which is really nice to have but with no river access you'll always be driving away for most of the day.

I'm curious if anyone has stayed at Koberg Beach State Park? It looked nice but lacks shade.
Slappy

by max.spock » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:27 pm

Just came back from the Gorge. I've camped at Memaloose and I found the train activity very annoying. Solutions: ear plugs, alcohol (must be abundant), noise insulated tent (??!) :D :D :D
max.spock

by BanjoHips » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:55 pm

We are thinking of heading down there this weekend and looking to tent camp. Any suggestions as to which campsites are the best for leaving your tent all day as you chase the wind?
BanjoHips

Return to General