Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Vancouver Island sailing late May

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by Mike » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:48 am

Well looks like my Oregon coast trip is off. Looking to go to Vancouver Island. Even though I've been in this for decades, I've only been to Columbia Beach a few times - that's it for my island sailing.

Not looking at Nitinat as need a little more civilization over camping if I'm going to maintain my company :).

Kiting or windsurfing.

To my eye, things around Victoria part of the island have the best odds??? Any suggestions/thoughts appreciated.
Mike

by Michael » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:32 am

Mike wrote:Any suggestions/thoughts appreciated.

Hey Mike, you are probably right about the south Island having better odds for sailing. How long are you going for? If possible wait for the forecast and then decide. I know it's hard to get accommodation last minute but if Long Beach has wind it can be an amazing place. Saying that though, if you haven't been to Long Beach it's worth the trip, even if you don't get to sail. Being able to kite improves your odds there as well though and May is one of the better months for wind so you might score. Plus, Long Beach is dog heaven! I just got back and I regret not taking my dog, he loves it out there.
Michael

by john m » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:40 am

Gordon’s beach in Sooke is good as well
john m

by Mike » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:23 am

Thanks Michael and John. This is what I was thinking but I appreciate any confirmations as I don't really know. Length of time is uncertain as still may do Oregon coast later in summer. Gordon's beach is a good heads up as I've heard of it but needed the reminder. And yes, re Long Beach will get on the list. I haven't been there so even if there's no wind, it'll be great especially with the dogs.
Mike

by Slappy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:23 pm

You also have PA as an option, both in town and China Creek which is only a 25 min drive from town. You could also camp at China Creek but I don't think they have wifi and I'm not sure if you'd get cell service there or not.
Slappy

by Mike » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:08 am

Slappy wrote:You also have PA as an option, both in town and China Creek.

Thanks for this. It was completely off my radar and would be an interesting area to explore.
Mike

Return to General