Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Summer Wind

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by AdrienGrelon » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:43 am

Was the salmon run mild last summer? I spent a lot of time in the river and I don't remember it being an issue.

Jack, last summer was my first summer here and I progressed more in a few months than in the last couple of years. My money is on you ripping seriously hard by the end of the summer :D
AdrienGrelon

by Jack1587 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:01 am

AdrienGrelon wrote:Jack, last summer was my first summer here and I progressed more in a few months than in the last couple of years. My money is on you ripping seriously hard by the end of the summer :D

Thanks :D Squamish is awesome. I can't wait for summer. Winter was annoying because falling meant a crazy head rush/brain freeze :lol:
Jack1587

by Michael » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:10 am

Jack1587 wrote:Winter was annoying because falling meant a crazy head rush/brain freeze :lol:
Actually I think the Brain Freeze factor is higher at Squamish in the summer than Boundary Bay in the winter. I'm sure the water temp is colder in that river than anywhere else all year long. :o :shock:
Michael

by tweegster » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:50 pm

AdrienGrelon wrote:Was the salmon run mild last summer? I spent a lot of time in the river and I don't remember it being an issue.

Pinks come earlier AUG - OCT vs OCT - DEC for Coho & Chum. They only arrive every odd # year for our coast (wierd eh). They also come in Massive numbers compared to the coho & chum runs. Pinks are smaller and tend to die faster.

I paddled up to the salt water line and caught them there. Very chrome, hard strikers and decent, mild flavor to eat. Pinks tend to go soft quickly and are not considered a high grade salmon. Don't eat em if you can catch them with your hands, floating upside down, or swimming downstream. :lol:

Probably can just follow the foilers around and collect fillets this year no? Well, If I could keep up with the foils.
tweegster

by spinmaster3000 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:19 pm

HAHAHAHAHA...love it...great advice on all fronts!

2 year life-cycle for pinks. Sockeye are 4 years...hence why this past summer was massive on the Fraser, as the offspring of the last big run, 4 years back, returned to spawn...

tweegster wrote:
AdrienGrelon wrote:Was the salmon run mild last summer? I spent a lot of time in the river and I don't remember it being an issue.

Pinks come earlier AUG - OCT vs OCT - DEC for Coho & Chum. They only arrive every odd # year for our coast (wierd eh). They also come in Massive numbers compared to the coho & chum runs. Pinks are smaller and tend to die faster.

I paddled up to the salt water line and caught them there. Very chrome, hard strikers and decent, mild flavor to eat. Pinks tend to go soft quickly and are not considered a high grade salmon. Don't eat em if you can catch them with your hands, floating upside down, or swimming downstream. :lol:

Probably can just follow the foilers around and collect fillets this year no? Well, If I could keep up with the foils.
spinmaster3000

Previous

Return to General