Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Oregon Coast

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by ezzylover » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:11 pm

Thinking about maybe going on the coast this summer during our annual HR trip , any recommendations ?
which spot to sail ?
where to camp ?
where to eat ?

thanks in advance
ezzylover

by Michael » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:39 pm

That depends on how far you want to drive and do you surf/SUP?
If you surf you can go to Westport first but it makes the trip to Hood River a little longer. If not you can go to Manzanita if it's windy on the north coast. I usually head straight to Florence ( 8 hours from Vancouver ) as it's my favourite place but usually not that windy. After Florence there a bunch of places as you head south. Your final destination being Gold Beach, ( 12 hours from Vancouver ) were you will get the most wind and can sail Cape Sebastian and Pistol River. I'll add more later but Dave will probably cover most of the stuff.
Michael

by Michael » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:55 pm

This is a good guide to sailing spots all the way down the coast.

http://www.cinematicsound.com/OregonCoastWaveSailing.pdf
Michael

by ezzylover » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:57 pm

Cool Thanks !
I heard about a spot with flat water, inland that gets wind from the ocean ....
ezzylover

by Alton » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:29 pm

ezzylover wrote:Cool Thanks !

That's Flora's Lake where I learned to waterstart 8 years ago. Shallow water and it turns on like clockwork. It's hot when there's no wind and freezing cold when the Ocean blows in. Call them for the forecast before you make the long trip down.

http://floraslake.com/flw2.html

Alton

by C36 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:53 pm

ezzylover wrote:Cool Thanks !

There is an on-line guide to Oregon Coast sailing spots shown in this post.

There is some info on places to stay here.

Places to eat (Gold Beach is not Hood River):

South of Florence
  • THE SOUR DOUGH BAKERY WINCHESTER BA, OR

Gold Beach
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurants-g51887-Gold_Beach_Oregon.html
  • INDIAN CREEK CAFE GOLD BEACH, OR (breakfast / WiFi)
  • LA CASITA DE ORO GOLD BEACH, OR (Mexican)
  • SUNSET FAMILY PIZZA (utility meal - pasta dish)
  • PORT HOLE CAFE (seafood & home style meals)
  • BARNACLE BISTRO
  • MANGA BUFF CAFE (Italian & West Coast) *this place puts on a good meal
  • DAIRY QUEEN (traditional walk-to desert spot)

Floras Lake may be the flat water place what you are thinking of (page 6 of the link M provided) - never sailed there. Nehalem Bay is another spot I have heard of people taking refuge from the ocean on really big days (just south of Florance) - never sailed there either.

:idea: If flat water is what you want there are a lot of options that are a lot closer.
C36

by ezzylover » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:39 pm

lots of good info thx !
ezzylover

by Uluwatu69 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:00 pm

Hey there,
If you go down to Oregon and pass by seaside, there s a nice left hand south of seaside. Next one over would be Indian beach, nice cove sheltered from the NW winds. It is located at the very entrance of canon beach but on a different cove away from the crowd. Look for Ecola state park. All levels, best at rising tide, good outgoing rip right the cliff, that makes the way to the line up pretty easy. You can try also south of the haystack rock, more advance with some good rip currents.
Many spots passed canon beach going south are great, manzanita is great. there is a nice cove also as you drive uphill in the forest right by a parking lot south of cannon which is really nice too. U can not miss it, if the surf breaks, lots of cars there but lots of room on the spot.
There are do many breaks along that drive that I forgot the names. Then there is Cape kiwanda at pacific city, nice place too, easy access, lots of spots. The Cape will shelter the NW winds too. Really for either surfing, SuPing...
Whatch for dori boats who run up the beach at full speed especially in fog, but they blow their horn pretty loud.
Cape kiwanda waves are pretty mellow, all level but you can get some nice little barrels at rising tides. Best in the morning and evening too. The rest of the day gets pretty windy, but you climb the huge sand dune. The north side is prettybpristin for paragliding if you have one. You can soar for a very longtime if the wind is right (17kts +) out of NW.

Hope you enjoy it.
I love post some pix if you need

Cheers
Ulu.
Uluwatu69

by Uluwatu69 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:31 pm

I meant "you can climb the sand dune" and " I will post some pix if you need"
Uluwatu69

Return to General