Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Wing Board Wanted

For sale, wanted and promotions

by mjamero » Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:08 am

Wing board wanted. 110l would be ideal. Would also consider 115 or 105. Message me with details if you have one to sell. Thanks.
mjamero

by mjamero » Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:29 am

Thinking more... even larger sizes in the 115-130 kind of range might be OK too. 110 would still be ideal though. Looking for a "large" beginner board for a light person (115 lbs). Already have an 85L Fanatic Sky with appropriate foil. Just need a larger board to learn on for a while.
mjamero

by Slappy » Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:55 am

At 52 kg they would probably do just fine learning on the 85L board, that's like 150% of their weight in buoyancy why go bigger?
Slappy

by mjamero » Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:23 am

Slappy wrote:At 52 kg they would probably do just fine learning on the 85L board, that's like 150% of their weight in buoyancy why go bigger?

Thanks for the feedback Slappy. For my wife. She took her first private wing lesson with Windsure on the weekend. It was a success and she did well. She has several years windsurfing experience and also took a group wing lesson last year. However, the Windsure instructor advised her to get one or two more solo sessions of paddleboard wing practice in before her next lesson with a big wing board/foil. AND... after the second lesson to get some solo experience in on a big wing board/foil before moving to her 85L.
mjamero

by Slappy » Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:54 am

To me "big board" for her is 85L though. Her on an 85L board would be like me being on a 125L board.

Board stability does matter though, if the 85L board is under 25" wide she might struggle.
Slappy

by mjamero » Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:03 pm

Slappy wrote:Board stability does matter though, if the 85L board is under 25" wide she might struggle.

Her 85l Fanatic Sky is 5'2" x 25".
mjamero

by adam2 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:09 pm

I agree with Slappy, 85L should be plenty for her to learn on at Jericho given her light weight. My suggestion is that she give it a go in good conditions then decide after that if a big board is still necessary. This should be a size that can keep her occupied until she's jibing then she could look at moving down to a ~50L board which is pretty much prone foil board territory or find a mini downwind board to get the most time on the water locally. Good luck!
adam2

by mjamero » Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:22 pm

In the beginning you are in the water a lot. The width advantage of a "big board" really comes in to play as its less tipsy when frequently climbing on. Especially at Locarno where we sail. When you get out past the JSCA pier (either side) the swell and sloppy chop can sometimes really pick up and catch you off guard. The last thing you want as a beginner going solo for the first while is to be caught out there drifting with the tide/wind and unable to climb or stay on your board. We've all had situations of being caught out there at some point beyond our comfort threshold. It is no fun at all. That feeling should be a very rare situation. Not part of regular progression. Damaged confidence and the fear that comes from being caught in conditions like this is her and I's biggest concern. If you have to struggle, it is better to struggle with a board that is too big or have outgrown than a board that is too small. While I agree even an 85l is ultimately too big for her. It would be scary for her to take it out on a reach solo, fall in the water, and be able to get on or stay on her board reliably. Fear kills confidence and lack of confidence kills the will to continue.
mjamero

by mjamero » Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:34 pm

adam2 wrote:I agree with Slappy, 85L should be plenty for her to learn on at Jericho given her light weight. My suggestion is that she give it a go in good conditions then decide after that if a big board is still necessary. This should be a size that can keep her occupied until she's jibing then she could look at moving down to a ~50L board which is pretty much prone foil board territory or find a mini downwind board to get the most time on the water locally. Good luck!

Thanks adam2 (and Slappy). What would you consider good conditions to give it a go? I've only winged once myself (on a SUP), never windfoiled, and am pretty much the only regular slalom fin windsurfer regularly out there. As such, my perspective is heavily skewed. Her and I are relying very heavily on the instruction, direction, and experience of her Windsure instructor. We also really value the feedback and experience of local wingers who learned to wing around Locarno and Jericho and continue to regularly wing there. Her and I want to ensure she gets a good solid start and foundation.
mjamero

by adam2 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:00 pm

Learning at Jericho can be a bit of a drawn out process given its reputation of unreliable winds (as you know of course). She'd probably be best off learning on the days where you are enjoying yourself on your big slalom gear. I see so many people trying to learn in light winds because they are intimidated by stronger winds, or because that's when their lesson is, but the stronger winds give beginners the power they need to get flying. Light winds can be very frustrating for beginners, everything is more difficult. Stronger winds (15kts+) let beginners get going with less than perfect technique. Light winds are, are in my option, the most technical, and arguably the most difficult conditions for wingfoiling. That said they can be some of the most rewarding too.
adam2

Next

Return to Buy and Sell