Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Any crystal ball reading for surf/sup session?

When there's absolutely no wind

by Uluwatu69 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:25 pm

Hey guys and gals,

Brand new to this awesome site...
Does anybody out there see anything coming for the next few days for a surf/sup session in Van?
Cheers
;-)

Ulu...
Uluwatu69

by Alton » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:38 pm

Ulu - welcome to WTF. Gabriel (gabrielb) is our surf guy.
Alton

by Uluwatu69 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:20 pm

Awwwwwesome thks.
I can tell Gabriel knows the area.
;-)
C ya guys out there
Ulu...
Uluwatu69

by Richi » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:05 pm

Nothing in sight for the next week, only wet cloudy easterlies and southerlies in the forecast. If you see any sunshine in the forecast, theres a potential for Northwesterlies in the straight, thats what we need for local surf. See you out there.
Richi

by gabrielb » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:24 am

Hi,
I posted as much info as I know, not an expert (going by experience). Going through this website you'll know as much. Sadly there is no surf/sup NW for the next week. Great SE for windsurfing on Wed.
Check forecast every 3 days for NW winds and Halibut bank buoy.
I had sessions where HB showed almost no height (North wind), and there was some at Wreck Beach.
I am going to Tofino this weekend, remote cabin, may not be able post any local surf (Thursday to Monday). My last 2 sessions I was alone in the water, any new sup/surfers are welcome.

Friday, late afternoon surf seems to be brewing (after 5pm, sandy ambleside, check camera, otherwise WB, go to UBC spit, left side there is a sweet left break at 4ft tide) ... but I wont' be able to confirm.
gabrielb

by Uluwatu69 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:20 pm

Okeydo.
Thanks Gabriel, I really appreciate all your efforts. Have fun in Tofino.
I fly for a living here, so when we take off on the 26L in yvr I am able to have a very quick glimpse at the spit and WB and I knew there was something cook there but was never able to confirm it with the timing and my sched.

Ulu...
Uluwatu69

by gabrielb » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:47 pm

I'll post if I see anything in the forecast:
I am changing the main subject of the post "SUP surf - none in the forecast" to "SUP surf- March 27, WB, 5pm-" to give people time to clear their schedule.

I am trying to get at least 6 people into local surfing, as everybody is busy with family/school/work ... because at the end 2 will probably make it regularly (safer than surfing alone). Past surfers gave up as it's hard to forecast, and only come out when it's 100% sure there is surf (i.e. 3 hours after surf starts, which by experience it's usually too late). You'll have about 2 days per year when surf lasts 7+hours, advanced surfers will then show up, they'll skip all other days.
gabrielb

by Uluwatu69 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:40 pm

Totally understandable. I have been kinda spoiled during my youth with surfing and having 80 to 100 days of surf a year. Consequently you become more picky about the conditions. After moving to vancouver, I had to adapt and wait longer for not always great conditions around Tofino, Oregon (love Oregon coast though, easy access).
But now realizing that I want to be more on the lifestyle side, that lack of surfing is taking its toll and wanna be in the water than ever.
At this time, my sched changed and work on weekends and have 1/2 weekdays off, so I am staring at the conditions and wait for an opportunity to get out. When flat, I go paddle my semi race board trying to stay in shape .
Enjoy Tofino. Get some nice pix
Cheers.
Ulu...
Uluwatu69

by gabrielb » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:50 pm

local SUP - from forecast:

small chance: Sat 28, early morning WB (needs 0.5hb+).

Looks great: Next Tueday 31. Ambleside. noon-dusk (looks like 0.9hb+).

If windy on Tuesday, as soon as wind is done at Acadia surf will hold for 2 hours after, you may head to WB / aside for SUP after work if you couldn't get any sailing.
gabrielb

by Richi » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:56 pm

Thanks for the heads up Gabriel. I will go to church and pray that something materializes. Im getting tired of all these forecasts not panning out, its time for more sizzle and less fizzle :D
Richi

Next

Return to SUP and Surfing