Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by Ryan » Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:35 pm

C36 wrote:
Thanks. Does that include using your 4.7 on your 104?

Yes, works great on a 4.7,( I'm 88kg)
Ryan

by C36 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:08 pm

S12 – Forlas Lake - windsurfing (2023 July 4)

Fresh water. NW flow battled the fog at the cape and the fog won. Drove north to Bandon and checked out Face Rock. Strange dumpy wave just south of the launch and light inside wind were a “no” for three and a “maybe” for one. Opted for the novelty session at Floras Lake. Halibut dinner at the campo.

Gallery (to view as a slideshow click on the screen icon in the top right)
C36

by Michael » Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:38 pm

Thanks for all the photos Dave!! It was a great trip. Best day winging ever to start the trip off and then my best day at the Rock, but can't believe I didn't sail one day at the Cape. :( Looking forward to next year already!
Michael

by C36 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:41 pm

Michael wrote:Thanks for all the photos Dave!! It was a great trip. Best day winging ever to start the trip off and then my best day at the Rock, but can't believe I didn't sail one day at the Cape. :( Looking forward to next year already!

:D :D :D

S13 – Forlas Lake - windsurfing (2023 July 5)

Seconds. Decided that staying in Gold Beach for one day out of sequence was high risk given the lack of ground swell and the lack of NW wind the last two days south of Bandon. So we decided to start heading north. Michael and I sailed a Floras Lake again with similar, but only slightly better wind. Jens kept driving and two of us made it to Tucker Park by 10 pm.

S14 – Viento - windsurfing (2023 July 6)

No solution. Got on the morning wind at Viento. First time sailing there for all three of us. Early wind called for big gear and was fairly steady. As the wind ramped up it became more variable with some crazy gusts rolling through! Michael looked a little warm in his 5.5 mm hooded winter wetsuit in the 30 degree sunshine. Finally all three of us called it and went into town for lunch at Boda’s Kitchen then some errands in town.

S15 – Doug’s Beach - windsurfing (2023 July 6)

Giant orange gummy. First day with two sessions. After most converged on Waterfront Park, the decision was to head out to Doug’s Beach. It was light by Doug’s Beach standards, but still was fun (more fun than Floras Lake) and gave Jens a taste of what it can be like. When I was out on the water I had an odd encounter with a giant orange gummy (it might have been Michael on his wing, but pretty sure it was a giant orange gummy). I gave the giant orange gummy a high five as I sailed by and it disappeared! Odd that. Wind filled in a bit and we called Jens out on the water. Fun sailing with Johnny too! Had my first huckleberry – thanks to Jens as he was tall enough to reach them. With Jens’ departure, then there were two. Glad he had such a great trip. Super to see someone enjoy the process of discovery so much! Sorry to see him go. Mexican for dinner at the Taqueria – really glad they served us at quarter to nine pm!

S16 - Waterfront Park – windsurfing (2023 July 7)

Windy. Leisurely breakfast at Tucker Park and then off for a look-see at Viento. Chatter on the beach was it was gusty and shifty like yesterday. Off to Waterfront Park. It was cranking on arrival. Easy decision to rig the smallest gear we had (3.4/74 for me). Once on the water my new-to-me high wind board was still giving me some control issues so I stayed below the White Salmon bridge with the others sailed up toward the Hatchery. I still got to sample some of the swell in the main channel, but it was a lot of work keeping everything together – there was a lot going on (wings, kites, sit skis, and more). After I gave up on the 3.4/74 combo, I took the opportunity to compare the Elite 3.4 to the Taka 3.8 and confirmed what I suspected the 3.8 offers more control even though it is slightly larger. Beware of the text option to pay for parking (it doesn’t work and some were issued a $65 parking ticket). Michael, Johnny and Heather all headed north today. Dinner at the Thai food truck ate outside the library overlooking the river. Another full day!

S17 - Viento - windsurfing (2023 July 8)

Over and under. A very unpleasant all (way too much) and nothing (no sail big enough) session. Took a few rides and it was worse than the other day so decided to look for something better.

S18 - Rowena - windsurfing (2023 July 8)

On and off. Found it – a nice cool-down 4.5 session. There were lulls, but the on was just right! Nice to leave the Gorge with a smile!

18 sessions in 16 days! Gorge and south Oregon coast! Windsurfing and wavesailing! New and old friends! Another great trip!

C36

by Cathulu » Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:01 pm

Great trip!

For me I am not a big fan of the Event Site / Jensens Beach because of the impact of Wells Island upwind leading to gusts etc. But the rigging is awesome and great for non windsurfing partners so I do sail there.

I prefer the Hatchery when wind is good in the corridor, basically that is where I mostly sail nowadays...

Also not sure how you drove back, but I often skip I5 and drive up at Marysville through Yakima. Then you can sail the Wall. I need to explore the Eastern sites a bit more!

When the Gorge is on it can be phenomenal.
Cathulu

by Cathulu » Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:04 pm

This is one of my fave Gorge videos... of the Wall

https://youtu.be/9WURL5bOvCc
Cathulu

by C36 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:35 pm

Cathulu wrote:...For me I am not a big fan of the Event Site / Jensens Beach because of the impact of Wells Island upwind leading to gusts etc. But the rigging is awesome and great for non windsurfing partners so I do sail there.

I prefer the Hatchery when wind is good in the corridor, basically that is where I mostly sail nowadays...

Waterfront Park was a work around as both Hatchery and Swell City were closed due to the Tunnel Five fire. Some homes were lost and some were just being allowed to return home when we were there.
C36

by Cathulu » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:30 am

Oh I heard about that fire. BTW I think I was camping across from you at Tucker, June 24 ish. The vehicle had a c36 on it iirc... I think we said hi but that was it. :D
Cathulu

by C36 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:09 pm

S1 - SUP - Wick (2023 July 24)

Sun beams. SE wind so did wind/surf checks at Long Beach (choppy and gusty – one person windsurfing) South Chesterman (onshore and one person kiting), and North Chesterman (flat). Then the SE was over. With the ocean stirred up on the SE wind thought it best to check Wickaninnish. Chatter on the beach was it was small, but punchy. It was on the small side but there was a working peak at about Lot D. Slack high of about 3 metres. Headed out at Lot C and worked my way down to the next peak to find Bamfield Dave ripping his shortboard! Beautiful evening to be out on the water.

Gallery (to view as a slideshow click on the screen icon top right)

S2 - SUP - South Chesterman (2023 July 25)

Practice. Checked out a new exclusive private campground in Ukee. Surf check at Wick and South Chesterman. Used the SE wind swell from the day before for some practice. Flooding mid-tide of about 3 metres.

S3 - SUP - South Chesterman (2023 July 26)

Warm-up. Morning warm-up session at South Chesterman. Slack low tide of about 1.5 metres.

S4 - wavesailing - Long Beach (2023 July 26)

Golden. Debated about going out as it looked small from the parking lot, but glad I did! Some super clean long period west swell was acting like background south swell and providing super clean widely spaced sets that were wrapping the whole bay. Set waves were chest high and super fun! Flooding tide of about 2.8 metres so the waves were staying open for a long time. Enough wind to catch most target waves. A little light at times resulting in some backside rides. One very memorable long ride of a least four bottom/top turns! Super fun session with no consequences!

S5 - SUP - Cox Bay (2023 July 28)

End to end. Morning session. Slack mid-tide of about 2.4 metres. SE wind made positioning a little tricky. Waves were round and hard to catch out front so I paddled up to Land ‘O and caught a few. Then paddled the length of the bay to try to the cove at the north end. Stopped at the peak out in front of Long Beach Lodge as it was empty and caught a few rights. End-to-end (almost).

S6 - SUP - Cox Bay + NC (2023 July 28)

Modest, but workable waves with good shape off Maltby path. Second session for the day this time on slack low of about 1.8 metres.

S7 - SUP - Cox Bay (2023 July 29)

Jello. So clam and settled the morning waves looked like they were made out of Jello. Slack high of about 2.5 metres.

S8 - wavesailing - Long Beach (2023 July 29)

Shorty. Arrived to more wind than forecast or expected. Rigged up and got out there only to realise the wind on the water was side onshore. Waves were really hard to catch or ride on this angle and it was mostly backside waveriding for me. Slack low of about 1.8 metres made the waves a little dumpy. Still fun, but not down the line wavesailing. Best part was the water was so warm I wore my shorty!

S9 - SUP - Cox Bay + Rosie Bay (2023 July 30)

Pros. Looked pretty modest, but it was glassy and uncrowded. The cove at the north end of the beach was calling on the flooding low of about 1 metre. Hit a few rapid fire waves on the right out from Long Beach Lodge on my way out and tried to grab a ride in the cove, but it proved pretty tricky. With some patience I got a few but it was tough. I decided to walk over Pettinger Point and have a look-see at Rosie Bay and glad I did. There was only one surfer out (pretty sure it was Pete Devries). As I walked across the beach to join him he ripped one overhead wave with top to bottom turns throwing buckets of spray with his vertical top turns to the hoots and hollers of the photographer and female pro surfer that had just arrived to join him. I paddled out and tried not to get in their way and grabbed a few rides and left to go grab my camera. The rain started and by the time I got back there were over ten skilled surfers out, but the waves had melted a bit on the deeper water caused by the flooding tide. Still impressive to see!

C36

by JonathanP » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:29 pm

Looks like some decent surf for the minimal swell forecasted. I'm just headed out today, hoping for some waves and wind!
JonathanP

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing