Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

PERFECT wave forecast this weekend!

When there's absolutely no wind

by Jaybrowner » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:21 am

Hi guys,

I'm heading to Jordan River / Sombrio this weekend to SUPsurf in the waves. The forecast is VERY GOOD! Maybe I'll see some familiar faces this time :) Come on out and have some fun! :D Post up if you'll be joining. It should be a warm weekend so camping should be great.
Jaybrowner

by Tony360 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:37 am

It has been epic conditions at Sombrio and JR for surfing in the last few weeks. I couldn't wear the GoPro at JR because I didn't want to get hassled by the locals but it was perfect on Sunday. Sombrio on Saturday was pretty fun too.... https://vimeo.com/88713299

Please don't take this the wrong way but after spending a day at Sombrio where all the bomb sets were picked off by a SUPer and hearing various gripes from other surfers about the SUPer I would just comment that maybe for the SUPers out there the etiquette should be to take a bomb on every third set if it's crowded - just so that the surfers who have a huge paddling disadvantage can also have a go at the good ones.
Tony360

by Slappy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:44 am

I haven't surfed Sombrio in over a decade but it's crazy to think that it's actually crowded now. Back in the 90's there was no line up.

Also can't believe that the JR locals spaz on people with cameras.
Slappy

by Jaybrowner » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:55 pm

Tony360,

I agree that the SUPers have a wave catching advantage, and that's why I don't surf much anymore...because I can catch many, many more waves in a day SUPing than I used to be able to while surfing. That's not because I'm a wave hog, it's because I can be out on the water for a whole day when I SUP. When I surf, I only last a couple of hours max because I get tired..then I'm toast. When I SUP, I can also ride the junky waves. When I paddle back out after a wave, I can get back to the outside faster. This all means more rides = more fun :).

In terms of the SUPer with the bad etiquette....that's horrible. I hope while people were griping about him someone actually took the time to talk to him (in a pleasant manner) to explain to him what he was doing was out of line. SUPing is growing like wildfire, and unfortunately some SUPers don't know a thing about surf etiquette because they are new on the scene..just like we all were at one time. Sure they should learn, but it's also our responsibility as surfers and other SUPers to educate the newbies. Newbies aren't just the SUPers...it's also all the new surfers. Not all SUPers are like the one you described, so it's not fair to make a general comment about SUPers based on your experience with one SUPer. The SUPers I know are aware of the rules and respect all others on the water. The same goes for all people out there in the waves. Etiquette is etiquette whether it is a surfer, a SUPer, a windsurfer, a kiteboarder or a kayaker. Just because surfing is older than SUPing (and this is arguable) it doesn't give surfers more rights. WE ALL HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS.

In my experience I've seen a lot of different scenarios brew in the line up between SUPers and surfers. Seeing it from both sides (while I'm out surfing or SUPing) I can honestly say there is WAY more poor etiquette displayed by surfers to SUPers than SUPers to surfers.

I've paddled out at Sombrio on a beauty day and warmed up on "Chickens" then paddled out to "Firsts" to hit the big A frame. There were about 10 guys in the line up..shoulder to shoulder and before I could even get close two of them were telling me to F-off. So, just an extreme example of poor etiquette.

Another time I was at Jordan River and the conditions were terrible, but I was having a blast trying to make the first section on the point break right hander. I was the ONLY ONE ON THE WATER. A lady who was about 60 years old put on her wetsuit and paddled out to tell me I couldn't SUP on that wave. :lol: She said it was a surfing only wave and I had to leave. Unbelievable. I could ramble on and on, but I won't. All I'll say is this....1) SUPing is here to stay, so everyone needs to accept that and learn how to play nice together :). 2) Don't assume because a SUPer is paddling out into the break that they are dangerous and uneducated when it comes to wave etiquette. Let them take a wave, give them some respect and see how it pans out. 3) If a surfer or SUPer clearly doesn't know the etiquette rules, take the time to give them some pointers. 4) We are all out there for the same reason, so let's have fun together and not ruin each others session. 5) SUPers, learn the rules of the road before you paddle out into a surf break.

The great thing about Jordan River and Sombrio is there are so many different breaks so everyone can spread out when it gets really busy. Another great thing about SUPing is you can easily paddle up the coast and discover your own private wave break with lots of space. :) I can't wait to get back out there this weekend! Forecast is looking Goooooooood!

Hey Slappy,

There's an unwritten rule at JR that you shouldn't film the surf. Kinda nuts in my opinion. The locals feel that JR is a "secret" and they would rather not have it advertised by people posting up on the net.
Jaybrowner

by Tony360 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:42 pm

Jay,

Good post. I agree with everything you said. The guy at firsts that was grabbing all the set waves was no noob though, he pretty much killed it and was clearly from the area. So none of the crew were speaking up.

It's just good to remind all wave riders of the surf etiquette rule "just because you can catch every wave it doesn't mean that you should".

As for SUPing at the point at JR, the vibe at that location isn't all that welcoming for surfers either, and it seems like the SUPers have a pretty good monopoly on rockpiles, so that one I guess will be up to the local contingent. Paddling out just to tell a SUPer to leave when there is nobody out is just nuts though in my opinion ;)
Tony360

by Jaybrowner » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:49 am

Looks like there will be plenty of wind too!
Jaybrowner

by Jaybrowner » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:16 pm

It was a great weekend at Jordan River! A fair bit of rain and HUGE swell. There were a few sets that were double overhead! I've never been in conditions that big and it was terrifying but so rewarding. Getting worked in tbe dark cold water made me realize I need to work on my cardio. SUPing with big wave Dave and his Crew was inspiring. They were ripping it hard in the massive swell on their 100l SUPs.
Jaybrowner

by Michael » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:39 pm

SUPing with big wave Dave and his Crew was inspiring.

Hey Jay, Glad you had a great weekend out there. Ya SUPing with those guys is something else, I spent a few days at Cape Sebastian with them and I just couldn't keep up, those guys can really rip. Learnt a lot from them though, awesome guys. :D
Michael

Return to SUP and Surfing