Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Surfing / SUPing next weekend

When there's absolutely no wind

by Brian C » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:20 pm

Yes I think that's who it was. I sailed an older JP SUP with a 5m sail in very light wind at Baja one day last year. Although i wasn't even planing, I enjoyed how lightly the board skimmed along the water and how it got a little push from the smallest of waves when you turned "down" them. It was much more entertaining than the old days of longboarding and made me think that the right type of SUP offers the best potential for light-wind, small wave entertainment. I still think the right board is key though, because I also sailed a full-size entry level Naish SUP that was too unwieldy and low-performance; it didn't feel light underfoot and it flexed noticeably on little waves and chop. I look forward to hearing your impressions of the Fanatic, which looks very promising to me.
Brian C

by Jaybrowner » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:11 pm

That size seems like a wise choice Dave. If I was to have one board that would be the size I'd want too for surfing. Currently, I love my Naish MANA for junky medium and small surf, and I'd like to trade in my C4 Subvector for a Fanatic Pro Wave or a Naish Hokua. I'm keen to get to the next level where I'm short board SUPsurfing in the waves.

We all need to do a camping weekend on the coast!
Jaybrowner

by C36 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:05 am

Jaybrowner wrote:That size seems like a wise choice Dave. If I was to have one board that would be the size I'd want too for surfing. Currently, I love my Naish MANA for junky medium and small surf, and I'd like to trade in my C4 Subvector for a Fanatic Pro Wave or a Naish Hokua. I'm keen to get to the next level where I'm short board SUPsurfing in the waves.

We all need to do a camping weekend on the coast!

Thanks for the reassurance Jay! 8-) :D

I hear you about a camping weekend on the coast. This is another reason I picked one up as I am setting an intention to do more trips to the coast! 8-) :D
C36

by C36 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:04 pm

I took my first flat water paddle on my new SUP today - 2013 Fanatic AllWave 8'10" x 31" (145 L) and I am pleased with first impressions. I was surprised at how much fun I had enjoying being out on the water tooling around exploring. :D

I also tried three paddles (Windglider aluminum adjustable (thanks Richi), Kialoa Hapa Large 80" x 8.75", Kialoa Hapa Small 76" x 7.5") and liked the Kialoa Hapa Small 76" x 7.5" the best so far. Lighter in the hands and easier to deal with. :D

The funniest part of the day was spending about an hour looking for the 'vent plug' :twisted: and finally saying "I'll just tape it up for now and go anyways!" :idea: only to realize later that the HRS versions don't have vent plugs and I taped up the mast base plug! :shock: :oops:

Looking forward to my first real ride on something with a push and very curious to try it with a sail! 8) :wink:

FULL SIZE. No Flickr login? Try this

\edit (2014 Jan 29) year = 2013
Last edited by C36 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by C36 » Thu May 22, 2014 4:58 pm

Awesome video of Long Beach SUPing by DaveM (sailor who 'escaped' the Lower Mainland for the island). :D

The "head on a swivel" down-the-line action brought be back to PSC. ;) Fun, fun, fun! :D

C36

by C36 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:01 pm

Good overview of wave-SUP basic.

C36

by AdrienGrelon » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:32 pm

Jem is the man. He's the one who got my stoke-ometer reving high back in 2010 during one of his clinics. His level of stoke is unmatched, except when England loses in football :D
AdrienGrelon

Previous

Return to SUP and Surfing