Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

The skinny on 1001 steps

When there's absolutely no wind

by gabrielb » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:33 pm

Dave, on a strong SW and low/middle tide we'll try those spots. Glad you had time to get familiar with it. Only at 15 ft tide you will see water in that tunnel, otherwise all good, hope you had a good look at low tide of any rocks, etc.
gabrielb

by Brad R » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:29 pm

Hi Dave,

At the bottom of the steps I turn LEFT and hop the fence at the downed tree stump (use stump to hop fence). Once across the tracks about 25' to your right there is a path in the boulders down to the beach. Once on the beach head left to the big rock and concrete wreck on the point. This is where I put in if there is enough beach to hike there as it sets up real nice. Just take stock of large sunken objects prior to trying it. I then drift down and exit at the tunnel. If there is enough beach I will just walk up the beach back to the point. if not I take the trail and hop the fence again. I NEVER walk the tracks or the railway police will shut down access and/or someone will get hurt. The sound of a train is impossible to hear coming on a windy day as the sound only goes out to sea (bounces off bluff) on a blind corner so you won't hear it till it's right on top of you. The Amtrack flies through there at a pretty good clip. One slip and its over. The trail is also faster to run on. Best case is lots of beach to walk.

Also I usally get out at the tunnel because it seems to be the cleanest waves between there and the point and I have a good sense of what is underwater in that area. There are lots of mini rock reefs along this stretch but I know this one the best so I get out at the tunnel as my end of line.

As for Sullivan. I have seen people attempt to surf there but I have never seen anything worth surfing. Only in theory. Last thursday the current was setting up a bit of a current swell against the wind swell but I have yet to see anything worthwhile.

No swimmers itch in the winter - sometimes in the summer but only really in the water beyond crescent beach peir where it is muddy. 1001 steps is crystal clear and the best swimming in the summer.
Brad R

by Brad R » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:42 pm

I also noticed that on SW it tends to charge more at shore wheras on SSE it wraps nicely and you can ride parallell to shore with a certain degree of wind shadow in that short strech of coast. Long fetch from Lumi island and just enough angle to make it past Birch point... I have seen it best on SSE. Worth noting that the white rock side of the bay seems to blow SSE when the centennial side is blowing true SE. It works on SW but it is choppier and angle is not as good for long rides IMHO
Brad R

by keeldude » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:07 pm

Do you crawl under those twin metal wires which flank the railway, after hopping the chain link fence? I can only presume they are to detect wildlife or people in order to trigger an alarm of sorts? In the few times I have scoped the beach I have seen numerous people walking the railway tracks but it always seemed sketchy.. lots of alternating and fast moving trains on that stretch.
keeldude

by Solardave » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:25 am

Thanks Brad, GB, and KD.
Lots of good info.
Long rides?? What is that. I don't think I have ever had one of those.
Seaside Ore and Short Sands in Ore were fun but pretty closed out.
I could handle a long ride. That would be so sweet.

I noted a few big boulders but not as many as I thought there might be. For those to be in play the tide must be a lot higher than yesterday with not much walkable beach showing.
Solardave

by Solardave » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:31 am

Yesterday at 0930 the tide was 11 ft or 3.35 m.
Solardave

by gabrielb » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:07 am

tide and wind strength (surf size + depth at which surf starts to break) will make sense after a few sessions there, but Brad has written extensively about it and it is what it is ... you can never guarantee a proper session. Even Wreck Beach with sandy bottom is hard to predict (+ buoy to help), not fair to pressure Brad for specifics, all he has to say is that there is a break there, enough for me.

Best is to drive there on SSE, S, SW.

Coastal breaks and their closeout ...
Noride.JPG
Noride.JPG (27.75 KiB) Viewed 15743 times

That's why I keep track of local conditions, I get a longer ride on mostly medium surf locally, always fun (saves me time).

Nothing for a while locally, forecast looks flat. There was a 0.6m on Wed at WB, small surf at 5ft tide (5pm-dusk). May not seem much but i had 0.6m sessions that were waist high with a good ride ... just too busy to drive and take a look (15 minute drive); next time I'll check it.

There are 2 things that can hurt you at Brad's break, boulders & the train. Train goes pretty fast, even standing watching surf I always watch those tracks constantly (trains with100km/h+ speed). For the boulder part I am not afraid of putting my board between myself and a boulder to soften the blow, even if it means surfing over one, bailing out before I don't recommend.

Tofino right now... a nice 8ft+ closeout ... nobody can get that far paddling anyway, unless you've been surfing non-stop for months (left side looks clear with a few duck dives), and no christmas cookies.
tofino.JPG
tofino.JPG (31.47 KiB) Viewed 15725 times

Dave, i'll email you on a solid NW, glad you are getting into it again.

On a personal note: dearest friend passing away of pancreatic cancer today (single mom @46), I'd love to be on those 8ft closeouts right now, and hopefully she'll join me in spirit on the best rides this coming year.
gabrielb

by Brad R » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:38 am

Gabriel; so sorry for your loss. Condolences.

keeldude: I usually hop over wires, if i trip them it doesnt seem to cause a fuss. I think they are there in case a tree falls over the tracks or if there is a landslide as much of the bank is unstable and slides are common.

Dave: long for me is multiple turns with about 10 second ride, but if I had a long board I could cruise the shoulder for much longer as they roll along the shore. Pretty good for local rides anyway. I surf the coast regularly and it is not as punchy but also not as dumpy
Brad R

by Solardave » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:19 pm

Where do you surf the coast Brad?
Solardave

by Brad R » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:22 pm

during the summer sea breeze season I camp at Nehalem state park and do wavesailing downwinders from manzanita back to camp. in the mornings we surf at smugglers cove about 10 min up the road. have also done indian head and the nehakanie mountain cliff at manzanita, as well as nehalem main beach when there is no wind. It has become an annual binge trip and we stay for as long as we can and the forecast will allow!
Brad R

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing