Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Need advice on second smaller SUP

When there's absolutely no wind

by Jaybrown » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:47 pm

Hi guys,

I finally made it onto this forum, and I have some questions about board options. I already have two boards but I'm looking at switching them both up and trying something new.

I currently ride a Naish MANA 9'5" x 31" which I believe is about 160L and a C4 Subvector 9'6" x 29" which is about 135L. I'm a fatty at about 195 and 5'-8". I find I use the MANA about 80% of the time and usually in ankle to head high conditions. Clean waves or choppy it seems to do it all but doesn't really excel at anything in particular. It's an easy board to paddle so I usually gravitate towards it for our typically mushy surf conditions ridden with wind chop!

Then there's my SUB VECTOR. This thing is designed for riding bigger faster, hollower waves than what we typically see here in BC. It's surprisingly stable to paddle out on but obviously gets a bit tippy in the line up when the seas get choppy. I've had only a couple good days on this board but don't feel it's the right board for BC.

So, my issue is I want to get to the next level with my supsurfing where I'm generating speed on the wave and snapping turns. I can get my MANA turning but it is cumbersome and can't seem to generate speed when carving down the line. It's more of a gliding board with the odd turn here and there. My SUBVECTOR needs to be going fast to turn...needs a really powerful wave to get it performing, which doesn't happen too often. I usually ride at Jordan River or crumbly beach breaks like Seaside Oregon or Indian Beach.

So what would the ultimate quiver be for a guy my size, at 195 pounds? A bigger board that is a wave catching machine that can turn and a second smaller snappy board for when I'm feeling aggressive and also in the bigger surf. Suggestions please :)
Jaybrown

by Jaybrown » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:52 pm

So far I'm thinking about keeping the Naish MANA 9'5" and swapping out my SUBVECTOR for the Naish HOKUA RAPTOR V128. It looks like so much fun! Or, go more conventional and get a Naish HOKUA 8'8" X32 GT.

check out the vid for the raptor on the nasih site!

http://www.naishsurfing.com/product/hokua-raptor-v95/
Jaybrown

by gabrielb » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:07 pm

I find two boards may have the same volume, if most of the volume is in front it's easier to catch waves but slower on the turning unless at speed; if volume is at back it's harder to catch big slow moving waves but once planing it's easier to turn and your upper body has a better control of turns. Best thing is to watch youtube suping, watch the surfer and what he can do with that board, even great surfers cant do much if the board is not right for the conditions. I don't sup but it should apply as well; Ulu could've answered that sup question more in technical terms;
gabrielb

by Michael » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:43 pm

Jaybrown wrote:So far I'm thinking about keeping the Naish MANA 9'5" and swapping out my SUBVECTOR for the Naish HOKUA RAPTOR V128. It looks like so much fun! Or, go more conventional and get a Naish HOKUA 8'8" X32 GT.

check out the vid for the raptor on the nasih site!

http://www.naishsurfing.com/product/hokua-raptor-v95/

I was going to say keep the Naish but go for a smaller board around from 8'2" or 8'6" as your second.
The Starboard Widepoint 8'2" is very stable but a little wide. The Quatro Carve 8'4' looks nice and the Starboard Pro 8'5" also but if you can get a Fanatic Prowave they rip. I'm looking to get a 8'4" to replace my 9'2" it's a very fast board!

Edit
Starboard and Fanatic also have boards like the Raptor and they do look fun!
Michael

by Slappy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:53 am

That Raptor board looks like a good option but I would expect it to paddle like a dog, so if you take the Mana because it paddles so well you might never want to be on the Raptor.
Slappy

by AdrienGrelon » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:54 am

Michael wrote:Starboard and Fanatic also have boards like the Raptor and they do look fun!

There's a young guy in town who can help you get on a Starboard ;) Just send an email to adrien@tridentsports.com to discuss options.

I have a 2016 Starboard 7'4 Hyper Nut AST Electric that could have your name on it :D This could be right in the money for what you're looking for!

http://star-board-sup.com/2016/boards/7-4-x-30-hyper-nut/

AdrienGrelon

by C36 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:56 am

JB:

Here is a link to the one you tried on the weekend (2013 Fanatic AllWave 8'10" x 30", 146 litres, 25 lbs actual), as a point of reference.

And here is a link to the smaller one that is available for demo next time we are out (2013 Fanatic ProWave 8'10" x 29.25", 119 litres, 18 lbs actual) .

Even though these two are the same length, there is a BIG difference in the way they feel and perform (both can be SUP-sailed). Sorry we didn't pull the smaller one out on the water on Monday when it calmed down and wasn't so rolly.

:idea: One other thing you may want to look for in a SUP is a mast base. I like having the flexibility to paddle in no wind/light wind, snap 5.3 on when there is wind (~8 mph+) and then move the sail over to my light-air windsurfing hull when the wind picks up (~16 mph).
C36

Return to SUP and Surfing