Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Surfboard - wax vs non-skid vs deck pad

When there's absolutely no wind

by C36 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:16 pm

I just picked up a used BIC surfboard for my kids (5'10" x 20.5" x 2") and while removing the old wax was reminded how much I dislike this task. I am seriously considering apply a permanent non-skid surface (redeck or deck pad). I prefer the non-skid (low cost) and my son wants deck pad.

I am biased. Having spent more time windsurfing and wave-SUP'n than surfing so using wax on surf boards strikes me as:

• labour intensive
  • temporary
  • dirty (sand)
  • gets other stuff dirty too

Using non-skid or applying a full deck pad would eliminate all of these issues.

I can understand why surfing purists would use wax, especially in warmer climates. But we are looking for low maintenance convenience.

Any thoughts?
C36

by spinmaster3000 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:24 pm

Hey Dave,

I'd agree for low maintenance and cleanliness a pad is better. I wax my kiteboard but have a deck pad on my SUP.

I don't have any experience with the other option you were mentioning - the stick surface, unless it is that sandy grit stuff on windsurf boards that takes your skin off... ;) I wouldn't recommend that!

I did some research on deck pads as I was considering regripping my SUP and the X-Trak had good reviews...

http://xtremebigair.com/X-TRAK-SeaDek-S ... P1376.aspx

Cheers,
Jeff.
spinmaster3000

by Tony360 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:26 pm

Wax has the advantage of less chafing and rash, if you are surfing in warm water.

If you were only using the board in cold water (wetsuit) I think a deck pad would probably be the way to go for pure functionality.

The only other consideration is the kook factor of surfing with a front deck pad, which you hardly ever see anymore. This is only an issue at the more crowded and localized reefs and points on the south island or Oregon, not a problem at the beach breaks in Tofino or Westport (or around Vancouver for that matter).
Tony360

by gabrielb » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:28 pm

when I started windsurfing I thought why windsurfer don't use wax?
Then I realized it's all about the grip.
The sandpaper paint windsurfers use to grip their feet on the board is way better than wax, but don't surfers use that paint instead of wax?

It's all about your chest hairs, wax is easy on skin when your body is on the board.

If you are lying on your board with whole body, use wax.
if you are always standing up on your board use padding/paint (SUP's, etc).

of course there in no rule, it's just that waxing a board is a pain, I forget, then there is no grip, start missing waves, I start placing padding when deck goes to crap.

also when standing up on surfboard your hands are on the sides, there is no padding there, you rely on wax for grip at that point, padding alone won't do it.
gabrielb

by Faceplant » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:14 pm

You nailed it Dave. If its for your kids deck pad. Easy and clean.
Plus if you have a dog it good grip for paws.
Faceplant

by Slappy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:08 pm

Go with Clear Grip, that way you don't get the kook factor but keep it clean.

http://agendasurf.com/shop/wakesurf/wax ... ction.html

One thing though, I have super wussy feet and I actually need the padding the EVA foam gives over Clear Grip or else I get these weird bruises on the bottom of my feet. Especially if doing airs.
Slappy

by tweegster » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:40 pm

Such good points made, left of Dave's original question, but my 2 bits of experience

White deck pads don't stay white.... fish blood, human blood, crab guts & dirty feet.

I have had sups with both grip and pads, pads are much warmer.

Wax smells better and having bits melted into your van interior is part of the whole experience.

So based on that, wax all the way.

:mrgreen:
tweegster

by gabrielb » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:01 am

Dave, i think i know where you are coming from...

. removing wax on hot days is a common mistake, it will stick to anything.
. Cold temperature is what's needed, will make wax harder and brittle, easier to remove, grab like a plastic lid and scrape the wax off (3 minutes), then add wax again (3 minutes) ... simple.

I can picture you removing wax at 35 degrees in the sun and bitching about it, I would be too.
gabrielb

by Craig » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:23 am

Not sure if this is on topic or not. but if you use deck pads for regular surfing without wetsuit AND booties, it is almost as abrasive as the paint on sandy skin remover (think magic eraser). You can always tell who took a surf lesson and didn't wear booties with soft tops. Every bone in your foot that sticks out will wear clean through the skin and leave a scab. Look at people on the ferry next time, beginners have a rash on the back of their neck from crappy old Velcro on rental wetsuits, and sores on the top of their feet from the soft top boards (if they didn't wear booties and are wearing flip flops on the ferry).

If your kids plan to surf, use wax (for the gentleness and the kook factor noted above). If you plan to only kite with it, then your choice is the paint on or the deck pad....I would stay away from wax for this given the maintenance and the grip level.

I remember playing around on a windsurfing board at the lake in boardies and had lots of scrapes later in the day...

my 2c.
Craig
Craig

by C36 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:42 pm

Thanks for all of the thoughtful responses. Likely going to try the wax (for surfing) and see how it goes.
C36

Return to SUP and Surfing