Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Madagascar

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Monette » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:14 am

Last few days have been what people would call light out here...

I finally managed to grow a pair and unhook after almost two weeks, had a couple of good sessions well powered on 9m.

First session strapless with the surf two days ago, that was fun!
Managed to switch feet four times with a good hundred of faceplants.
The excitement didn't last too long thanks to a grade 4 case of Malagasy tourista.

Back at it on the surfboard today, nailed about a third of my gybes and even surfed a couple waves. That thing should be fun once I get the hang of it. Can't wait for the next session.
Monette

by Faceplant » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:40 am

Sounds like a wicked place! Water must be cool? Wetsuit required?
Food is good?
Safety? Crowded? That is a loooooooong way from Vancouver. It'd be nice if we had a flight direct from Vancouver to Johannesburg. Unfortunately most trips go through London, Amsterdam, or New York if you're lucky. Flying time somewhere in the 22 hour range.
Faceplant

by Alton » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:03 pm

Monette wrote:First session strapless with the surf two days ago, that was fun!
Managed to switch feet four times with a good hundred of faceplants.
The excitement didn't last too long thanks to a grade 4 case of Malagasy tourista.

Back at it on the surfboard today, nailed about a third of my gybes and even surfed a couple waves. That thing should be fun once I get the hang of it. Can't wait for the next session.

CONGRATS! Welcome to the strapless surfboard club!
Alton

by Monette » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:55 am

The flights are a pain for sure...
We got the shortest one Vancouver-Paris was 11-12 hours
Then Paris-Antananarivo for another good 11 Hours.

Since air Madagascar was on strike at the time we spent two days on a road worse than the spit road to get to Diego Suarez.

Safety at baie de sakalava is pretty good since it is a closed bay with side on wind but if you are in the waves you will be in for a decent swim, the waves are about 800m from shore. Depending on the tide you could also walk back from the waves. The tidal range is only 2m and at low tide there is a few sandbars showing. No fancy Squamish jet skis though.
Monette

Previous

Return to Kiteboarding