Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Spit Webcam

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:34 pm

Webcam's down, it's been stuck on the same image for days.
Michael

by LeopardSkin » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:56 pm

I'll give a visual report.

It currently looks beautiful on the spit!
LeopardSkin

by Michael » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:58 pm

Thanks for the update, were there a lot of rescues today?
Michael

by LeopardSkin » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:16 pm

Probably the usual. I wasn't paying attention.

Wind was super steady. Nice flat smooth water too. The nicest conditions I've seen in a long time. It was beautiful.
LeopardSkin

by Mike » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:49 pm

Tony's report is true for him as he was smart enough to wait until the wind kicked in. I (and a few others) tried early when it was up and down (really down a times) as you probably saw on the graph. Definitely a few sketchy moments with more outgoing current than wind power. The temperature was really high so maybe something to do with that?
Mike

by Alton » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:32 pm

Very sketchy indeed ... hope Monday's better

Squamish_Sun_Jul_13.gif
Squamish_Sun_Jul_13.gif (22.62 KiB) Viewed 11972 times
Alton

by Michael » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:13 pm

Mike wrote:Tony's report is true for him as he was smart enough to wait until the wind kicked in. I (and a few others) tried early when it was up and down (really down a times) as you probably saw on the graph. Definitely a few sketchy moments with more outgoing current than wind power. The temperature was really high so maybe something to do with that?

Thanks for the report Mike. I almost pulled the trigger but then looked at the graph just before I left. Tony you must have got the power hour. Glad I didn't go, hoping tomorrow will be better.
Michael

by Faceplant » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:18 pm

I was out from 12 till 2:30. It was not like the graph shows. I did hit a couple of dead patches out there towards the end of my session across the sound by the highway, but turned around and a hundred meters the other direction everything was fine.
Definitely glad I chose the 12M. Had the 9, pumped and ready, but wind dropped at the spit, so I decided to go big. It was a wise choice. Worked on jibing with the directional again. I was able to complete a number of them. Happy, sore, and nasal cavity full of water due to epic face plants.
Faceplant

by Alton » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:30 pm

Lucas - great job on the gybing the surfboard. You're almost a windsurfer now. Next time we meet we'll talk more about the surfboard.
Alton

by AdrienGrelon » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:37 pm

The power hour was absolutely awesome, in synch with the low tide and glassy flat water. Yet again a bit of sh!t show in the river, not always easy to find an unobstructed patch of flat water for moves, as both kiters and windsurfers hoarded to the best spots :D

I broke a footstrap during a Vulcan, so had to take some time off to (gratefully) replace it with Simon's spare. By the time I got back out, it must've been the 4:30pm dip in wind, as the wind was grade some A bullsh!t, and I only managed to get 3 loop attempts before calling it as it was simply too gusty and weak. On one attempt, though, despite the low wind I felt like my rig position was a lot better before pulling the trigger.

Some kiters were very stoked on their boardshorts evening session, and I guess it was that last peak of wind between 5pm and 6pm they were stoked on. I might try boardshorts tomorrow just to say I did it. The ice cold water would probably help with my tendonitis.

Other highlights included beers on the sandbar with Rob from UBC. It's important to take breaks when sailing hard. Move of the day, voted by the windsurfers who witnessed it, was my mast-on-water-handbrake duck gybe to 12 foot swan dive.

Tomorrow should still bring flat water but without the crowds. Stoked!
AdrienGrelon

Return to Windsurfing