Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Boundary Bay Wednesday

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:12 pm

Got in an hour this morning before the tide dropped too much. Feeling a lot like winter out there today, the Easterly winds didn't help for sure. Some nice waves with the dropping tide with some fun waist high ones up by the boarder. Lots of debris in the water though and a few close calls is what made me call it a day. One big surprise today when a sea lion popped its head out right in front of me. I think I scared him as much as he did me. I've never seen one in Boundary Bay before, has anyone else? Toe-side tacks coming along. Hope spring returns with some wind.
Attachments
IMG_C678BE9F4FD9-1.jpeg
IMG_C678BE9F4FD9-1.jpeg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 499 times
Michael

by Young » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:06 pm

Sealions. Ive had several encounters. Had a big one rise up and just stared at me. Felt like he was confronting me, not scared at all. Frightened me so I made a quick jibe and outta there. This was a km. or more off of Crescent Beach back in my windsurfing days. Similar encounter off sw corner of Roberts Point but close to shore in breaking waves where I went down when the bullwhip kelp caught my fin in the shore break. And another encounter off Garry Point Park. Several others off Oregonmand Vancouver Island. Theyre always big and mean looking.
Young

by LeopardSkin » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:20 pm

I've never seen a sea lion there, but I did see a small shark at the boat launch near 3rd. Joeblo stared down a bear at Centennial Beach a few years ago. I nudged something soft and squishy on the Oregon Coast too, probably a great white shark.
LeopardSkin

Return to Windsurfing