Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Salmon strikes = no like

Windsurfing shop talk

by Cathulu » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:27 pm

I hate when it happens, it jars the board and diminishes the stoke I feel on the water.

Likely the Salmon is dead or mortally wounded and suffering because of my "fun" - and I am not in the position to recover it for my larder.

Honestly I like my fun to have minimal impact. Like camping without a trace...

It will pull me off the water if it happens. I will need to find an area to sail where I can avoid them!

I guess I am a softie :D

Hopefully tomorrow at Squamish I can get away without a strike!
Cathulu

by LeopardSkin » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:21 am

One time at Pistol, I hit something squishy. Probably a great white shark.
LeopardSkin

by JonathanP » Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:37 pm

I think they're actually quite durable, if you've ever seen them bashing into rocks at full speed over and over again jumping up waterfalls that might help your conscious. But also sailing farther from the river mouth/estuary or more upwind where the water is clearer could help. I've hit many things in the ocean around here, but never seen anything wounded/dead floating around other than salmon already wasted away after spawning.
JonathanP

by Alton » Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:40 pm

No salmon strikes today on our surfboard fins. I think it's only foils that more likely to strike salmon in Squamish recently.
Alton

by Cathulu » Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:50 pm

Was out learning windsurf foiling today after a hamburger and coke and no salmon strikes. Was a great day, thanks to the organizers for putting it on the social barbecue. Busiest I have seen the Spit in a long while!

PS maybe the Salmon knew the barbecue was on and split!
Cathulu

Return to Windsurfing