Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Boundary Bay today

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:01 am

Anybody going to risk the crank and tank this morning? It's about 30 knots right now but it's not going to last long. I'm going to wing so when it tanks I can swim in easy! :D
Michael

by Michael » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:55 am

Well that was crazy! I arrived at 7:30 just as the wind dropped to 20 knots. I figured it was dying so I rigged the 5M wing, wrong, when I hit the water it cranked back up to 30 knots! What a beat down! The waves were huge and I really snuggled to water start, and once going it was like trying to punch out of a mile of shore break, it was ramp city out there. Many crashes on the first reach trying to get out, I came up from one just to see my foil roll on top of my wing. I'm like noooooooooooo, and I desperately tried to get the wing out of the way, no luck. To my surprise the wing didn't rip!!! Thankfully those Sabfoil stabs aren't sharp! I managed to catch a few really nice rides but it was a lot of work. Once the wind dropped a bit, I managed to get a nice 20 minutes in before the wind tanked. Luckily I kept close to shore and the swim wasn't bad. The current was super strong though and although I was close to the beach it was a struggle to get in. I ended up down at Centennial with a nice walk of shame back to 3rd. Windsurfing would have been fun for like 20 minutes, but the swim in would have been a lot of work with that current. I'm looking forward to when I can handle a day like today, but Centennial is a challenging place to wing when it's full on.
Michael

Return to Windsurfing