Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Mast base

Windsurfing shop talk

by shmish » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:03 pm

I’m looking at getting a used 3.7 which also means my first rdm mast, which means a new mast extension. I have a couple of US mast bases with the rubber hour glass joint but I’m thinking about getting a euro pin base. Another $100 but I feel that a Chinook pro flex mast base would make it way easier to detach and attach the rig from the base while in the water. This would be nice for adjusting the mast base position without coming in, and with carrying the rig and board to the water separately when windfoiling. Has anyone used one of these bases, or is the euro pin easier for attaching rig to board on the water compared to US base?

https://chinooksailing.com/collections/ ... uro-pin-ex
shmish

by Brian C » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:47 pm

You should look at Chinooks foil-specific base. It has a rubber joint for shock absorption combined with a 90 degree u-joint so you can easily carry the foil board upside down without detaching the rig. Regular bogies and tendons are difficult to flex that far, whether euro or traditional US style. Mast base adjustments with the rig attached would be easier too.
Brian C

by arg » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:31 pm

From personal experiences, when swimming, there is no easy way to attach a mast extension to a base in the water, or for that matter, separate them. But presumably, your question is when standing in the water on the beach, and I haven't tried to de-attach while standing in water.

I now always triple check before leaving the beach that everything is sound and properly connected.

I switched to the Euro pin style when I purchased my first RDM. I really like the design.
The regular US cup still works on my SDM.
Its a personal preference, and $ preference.

Foiling, the new chinook tendon suggested by Brain C above sounds great for, especially for foils.
arg

Return to Windsurfing