Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Saturday sailing report

Windsurfing shop talk

by Mike » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:21 pm

Saw wind graph spike so rushed out not sure where to go. Very low tide at centennial and unsure about point Roberts. Checked wind at MacDonald's in twassen and saw the wind had dropped big time but still sailable. Decide to hedge my bet and went to Ferry terminal where that was quickest and minimal walking. Satisfying session. Sailed to the border marker and though not super clean waves, found some nice front side? action. Sailed with a few others. Hope everyone found something. Saw Dave C on Columbia webcam.
Mike

by Alton » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:06 pm

Double session today!!! 2 hours kiting at 3rd Ave then 1 hour (5:30pm-6:30pm) windsurfing on 5.2/93L in S18-20 at the Boat Launch with Michael, Richard and Richi. Kinda choppy but sharp waist high ramps for some nice jumps.

Many thanks to Michael and Richard for movitating me and Richi to windsurf - totally worth it.
Alton

by Michael » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:14 pm

Hey Mike I was wondering where you ended up. I didn't get your message until we were done at Point Roberts and I was packing up to go to the boat launch. I just assumed you were over there. Point Roberts was not great, it was good to get over to Centennial, I had way more fun there. The tide was coming in by then so the waves weren't great but there were a few good spots. Glad you got out, sorry I missed your call.
Michael

by ShonanDB » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:20 pm

Mike, glad to hear that you got on the water today. What equipment were you on?

I went to White Rock as G-Spot was showing it filling in better there. Very gusty with the lulls dropping below 20 and then the gusts 25+ at times. I rigged my 5.3 and took out the 110L but it was too big so I switched to my 73L and sailed from about 2:30 - 5:00 and then the wind backed off a little so I switched back to the 110L and sailed until 5:30. It was still windy when I left. Should have rigged down to my 4.7 but with the walk back to the beach I just kept the 5.3 even though I was overpowered much of the time. The wind was shifting between S and SW most of the afternoon which is probably why it was so gusty. Waves built to about waist high on the outside but were fairly close together. Good port jumps and some decent front side riding to be had. Saw lots of weeds but just used a standard wave fin and it was fine. How was Point Roberts and the boat launch today?
ShonanDB

by Mike » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:23 am

Glad to here there was some Centennial action to be had. I was actually thinking of heading over after the ferry terminal session.

Darrel - I was on 5.9. The others that were there were rigging up to 5.5 to 6 noting how the wind dropped. I probably could have been 5.3 but was pretty lit, not overpowered, on 5.9. I was seriously thinking of White Rock as it is closest for me but in past found S to SSE to not be great there (though you note some SW also...). Good to hear you got a little wave action - sounds probably similar to the ferry terminal further out.
Mike

by C36 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:59 pm

Columbia Beach started off slow, but that allowed a for some SUP-sailing on the fun shin to knee high waves (sailing into the mouth of the French River and rode the small point break into the low-tide cove above Columbia. Was actually able to move around on the deck of the SUP and work the little waves some! Kus tried my SUP-sail later I tried his Quad 92. When the wind did fill in there were some modest frontside opportunities both left and right of the low-tide point (and that is what I went for), including a couple of three mini hit thigh-high waves! On the water from about 11:30 am until about 4:00 pm. Capped the day off sharing some awesome sushi with Dave M and Kus (and I ate a second dinner when I got home). Enjoyed it all! :D 8-)

Gear used: SUP/6.0, 6.0/110/26, 5.2/Quad 84, 5.2/110/23

Mid-session OSR here.
Post-session OSR here.

Pictures here.
C36

Return to Windsurfing