Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

JWSP - Thursday Late Afternoon / Evening

Windsurfing shop talk

by Chris Klohn » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:39 pm

Hey Guys,

Looks like potentially another good session in store for late Thursday afternoon / evening at JWSP. GFS shows more wind then the MM5 models and the NAM. NWWS is calling for 20-30 knot Westerlies through the East entrance to Juan de Fuca. Local forecasts are 20-30 mph winds with gusts to 40 in the evening.

Looks to be lighter than Monday evening but still worth watching very closely. There's a stronger southerly gradient forecast to be in place prior to the switch to Westerly. This could delay and lighten the winds at JWSP.

Watch for the issuance of a Gale warning for the East entrance by the NWWS and Ault Field's TAF 24 & 12 hours out on top of the usual actuals to the West. Hope it fires for you guys again!

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by george » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:20 pm

Rats, scheduled to work but trying to change it as I type this, here's hoping.
Thanks Chris, so much for these notices. They make a huge difference to the soul to get a chance at these days! Some work out, some not so much...but that's just the way it goes.
Hope you're getting some on the way over there.
George
george

by Chris Klohn » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:35 pm

No sweat George.

Whidbey on SE winds over the winter season, October-March, is where it's at. I'd say I spend 6 days on SE winds for every W day at JWSP. The water conditions don't get as big but the wind is much more consistent. The Westerly pushes usually happen once or twice per week during the spring and summer months.

I'm back home now but have moved all of my wave gear overseas.
I just sold the last of the big Freestyle Wave gear to Brad R's good friend Scott today. Stoked he has some sweet, new equipment to start on :D My floaty wave board is on the way as is my light wind wave sail.

For now it'll be dirtbiking and fly fishing until I arrive back to Azerbaijan with the full wave sailing kit. I've got a beginner board / SUP lined up at AirTime to teach my wife and son on this June at Nicola when I return........should be fun :D

I'll keep you updated on any forecast that looks good for Whidbey.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by george » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:32 am

Looking more like a Fri dawn patrol, WR, Birch Bay, or JWSP...hopefully the wind will stay up through the night and morning. Might be bigger gear, but also maybe very nice waves.
George
george

by Chris Klohn » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:10 pm

Big SSE for Crescent Harbour Thursday afternoon.
Chris Klohn

by Chris Klohn » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:43 pm

Anyone catch the solid SE session from 1pm until 6 pm at Crescent Harbour today on Whidbey Island?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (677.8 KiB) Viewed 14194 times
Chris Klohn

by Chris Klohn » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:47 pm

Cranking now and building to golf umbrella size by dark :shock: Exact same setup as the three of you had a few days ago. Would have been a sweet 8 hour day of ripping on Whidbey SE and W!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (253.71 KiB) Viewed 14194 times
Chris Klohn

by Richi » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:56 pm

Haha, your awesome Chris. Your enthusiasm for whidbey makes me believe your the whidbey mayor, or are planning to sell us all time shares in the near future.

What sup did you buy at airtime?
Richi

by george » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:16 pm

Work tonight otherwise I would've been there Chris, the harbor for the SE, then JWSP for the W...hoping for some am leftovers.
Got out at 3rd with a few of the other chronics, Clay and Jerry, et. al., for a big kite day that turned out pretty good.
Sure would rather a 4.5m-6m day at WB though. Keep the reports coming Chris...we will make your efforts worthwhile!!!
Thanks very much.
George
george

by Chris Klohn » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:44 pm

Hey George,

Glad you got some TOW today. Richi, I've thought about an old surf house a few times in Coupeville. 55,000-70,000 for a new double wide on an acre five minutes from Ebey. The could film Trailer Park Boys down there :D

Seriously, just stoked that guys are trying something new and scoring good conditions. I 'm fortunate Steve G, Clay and the old school gang showed me the place 18 years ago. Lots of epic days then and over the past two years as well.

On the SUP front, I've already got a JP 12'6 Super and will be picking up a Starboard Rio M for my wife and 7 year old son to learn windsurfing on and paddle when it's calm. No racing or waves so just two big boats that will float a family and glide okay with a sail :D

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

Next

Return to Windsurfing