Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Punta San Carlos - When to go?

Windsurfing shop talk

by babymama » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:58 am

Hey guys
I have paid for wave camp in Punta San Carlos.
I have originally reserved the May 3 - 10 time slot, thinking that it would be a good way to start the season.
My concern is if at that time of the year:
- it's too cold? too big waves for me to learn? or too windy?

Please let me know your thoughts about what time of the year would be the best to learn wave sailing in Punta San Carlos.

Thanks
babymama

by babymama » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:31 pm

Michael or Dave are u guys planning on going
babymama

by Michael » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:24 pm

Hey Maryam, Dave is going in May. I will probably go in September for Matt Pritchard's wave camp. From what I've heard May can be cold. Check out Daves links below for wind and waves.

http://thewindsurfer.com/files/media/10924.full.San%20Carlos.pdf
Michael

by Ryan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:53 pm

Stop being a baby, just go.
Ryan

by Jennifer » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:57 pm

That's what the teachers are for! To help you choose the right spot and the right wave. Go conquer the waves big or small. It's not wave sailing if you're not a little bit scared the whole time!!

P.s there's almost no such thing as too much wind. Just too big gear.
Jennifer

by C36 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:14 pm

babymama wrote:Hey guys
I have paid for wave camp in Punta San Carlos.
I have originally reserved the May 3 - 10 time slot, thinking that it would be a good way to start the season.
My concern is if at that time of the year:
- it's too cold? too big waves for me to learn? or too windy?

Please let me know your thoughts about what time of the year would be the best to learn wave sailing in Punta San Carlos.

Thanks

Maryam: The link M shared tells the storey as I understand it - warmer water and true wavesailing conditions (lighter wind and cleaner waves) are to be had in Aug-Sept (ideal for a 'first' trip). That would have been my first choice, but some of the others I will be travelling with really wanted to go in May because of their schedules (so we may get stronger wind, chance of south swell (larger waves) and it will be colder (both the water and the air - particularly sleeping at night). If you have ever camped on the Oregon coast in fog or NitNat in fog you will have a sense of how "cool" it can be in May.

Take a look at the videos in the first post in this thread (I have set them up by month). Watch for the wind and wave size (and how warm the sailors are dressed) and choose conditions you would like. Then go! :D ;)

I hope that is of some help.
C36

by C36 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:43 am

MA:

Any more thoughts on when you'll go?

I went back and looked at the 'calendar' of videos in my first post and there really is no 'bad' time to go - even if a large south swell rolls through when you are there, it wouldn't likely last a week, unless a miracle happens ;) The PSC Experience video was a good summary of how approachable this PSC is for EVERYbody! :idea: Check out what WM says starting at 2:20 and TP says starting at 4:20!
C36

by C36 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:12 pm

"When is the best time to go?" KP has your answer at 00:01. :D ;)

C36

by babymama » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:41 pm

Dave
I guess that's what I am doing then. Just stick to the time I have picked I guess is the key.

It would be nice if we go at the same time. When are you going? If May 3rd, have you arranged your flights to San Diego.

To not bore other kids on the site, maybe you can please respond to marmogh@gmail.com

Many thanks :)
babymama

by Michael » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:18 am

To not bore other kids on the site,

Hey Maryam, Glad to hear you're going! Please keep the posts coming, I'm interested in what you guys are planning. What flights are you getting to San Diego? Planning exotic windsurfing trips, "boring" not at all, pictures of hamburgers and discussions on preferred condiments..... funny but.... I think I'll take the Punta San Carlos thread please! :D If we are reading these posts we are probably bored and dreaming of wave sailing or any sailing at all for that matter.
Michael

Next

Return to Windsurfing