Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

The Official WTF OR Coast 2016 Thread

Windsurfing shop talk

by Alton » Tue May 31, 2016 10:14 am

Faceplant wrote:I'd like to go down there. Do the kiters and wind surfers inter mingle freely? Or what? Looks like a blast. Was looking at renting a cheap yurt. Looked good for the family. Close to the beach. Don't want to organize something to find out it's not kite friendly.

Kiters best to avoid the American Windsurfing Tour (AWT) June 8-12.

Pistol River and Cape Sebastian are kiter friendly as long as you're prepared for real ground swell and giant waves. My first day at Pistol River was chasing my windsurfing gear overpowered on 2.7m in 35-40 knots.
Last edited by Alton on Tue May 31, 2016 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alton

by Alton » Tue May 31, 2016 10:15 am

Michael wrote:
Alton wrote:Is that Ryan and Jen?

Yup!

Very cool!
Alton

by Johnny » Tue May 31, 2016 11:57 am

Sign up for the AWT 2016 Pistol River Wave Bash and join the fun! Join Peter and represent Vancouver. The Inn of the Beachcomber is very friendly to windsurfers and offered us a special rate when we were down there.
Attachments
pistol 2016.jpg
pistol 2016.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 23293 times
Johnny

by C36 » Tue May 31, 2016 12:11 pm

Faceplant wrote:I'd like to go down there. Do the kiters and wind surfers inter mingle freely? Or what? Looks like a blast. Was looking at renting a cheap yurt. Looked good for the family. Close to the beach. Don't want to organize something to find out it's not kite friendly.

Lucas: Thanks for asking the question directly. To my understanding it is a bit of a sensitive subject. The Oregon Coast Windsurfing Guide by Isobars 2009 Update says both the rock is "Not for kiters!!!!!!" and Cape Sebastian is "Not safe for Kiters", but does suggest that Pistol River proper (south of the rock is the place to Kite). From what I have seen, kites are often given the stink eye and 'talked to' when launching at the rock. I have seen similar reception issued at the Cape as well. Also note the section on "localism". A trip to the the South Oregon Coast can be a bit of a mission - not the best place for a 'family' holiday IMHO what with the blasting wind, driving sand, pounding surf and cold water/air. For your consideration.

Slappy wrote:Not sure about Pistol River but Floras Lake is just 1 hour North of it and it's one of the top kiting spots on the Oregon coast.

Although Floras Lake is on the Oregon Coast is a totally different (flat water) experience. Just say'n. You can walk to the ocean from the far side of the lake, but the shore break there was less than inviting when I saw it.
Last edited by C36 on Tue May 31, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C36

by Michael » Tue May 31, 2016 12:29 pm

Oregon Coast Wave Sailing Guide
I also uploaded it here.
http://www.cinematicsound.com/OregonCoastWaveSailing.pdf

It's a great read if you are heading down. It covers most of the spots.
Michael

by C36 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:47 am

S1 – SUP – Florence (June 19)

Father`s Day Special. Drove as far as Salem after making the late-in-the-day decision to head for the coast after all based on the rebounding forecast. Overnighted in the Walmart `superstore` parking lot (felt like I was sleeping under the `bladder of lights` at a soccer stadium). Awoke early, drove out to the coast and met Michael at the south Jetty on Florence where M decided that he was hungry for a SUP, not brunch in town. Waves were VERY approachable for Florence (from what I have seen) – there was no huge swell pushing up the throat of the river today. Fun session with cleaner, softer, more open waves than the last time we SUP`d here together! Lots of rides, lots of smiles, and a few `surprize` waves rolling through. Beautifully clean water and a seal fishing in the break with us. Wind freshened, but waves were bunched really close to shore so we packed up and headed south looking for other options for windsurfing.

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

S2 – windsurf – Bandon, Face Rock (June 19)

Seal (too). Quick lunch at the Sourdough Bakery north of Coos Bay, then off to Face Rock in Bandon to check out the conditions. Lots of wind in the harbour, but looked a little lighter ocean side. There were modest waves on offer, but we decided to take it as M has not sailed here before. Just as we were rigging Kus and Jelly showed up to join in the fun. I mentioned to Kus that Bandon can feel a lot like Long Beach and after the session he thought that was a pretty good comparison. Kus seemed to like Bandon. M then treated us to Mexican food in “old town” Bandon (nice, fresh food and a close second to the burritos in Bingen according to Kus) –thanks M - before we headed to camp at Floras Lake (the polar opposite of the Walmart parking lot). Beautiful sunset and warm tea to cap the day! So far so good! With a little luck the wind and waves keep coming!

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

by ShonanDB » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:55 pm

C36, was that Busch Lite tea?
ShonanDB

by george » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:55 pm

Outstanding work Dave and Michael. Hope it continues for you guys. Will you be staying south, or is the plan to follow the wind/waves anywhere? How long are you guys going to be down there?
Keep up the good work, and keep posting.
George
george

by AdrienGrelon » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:14 pm

C36 wrote:M decided that he was hungry for a SUP, not brunch in town.

Love it :D See you guys down there shortly!
AdrienGrelon

by 8mdude » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:42 pm

At the Gorge from Jun 25th - July 1st. At the Coast July 1st - 9th..

I can take a 2 weekend break from Squamish.
8mdude

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing