Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Cape Sebastian Oregon

Windsurfing shop talk

by C36 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:19 pm

Ryan: Thanks for the update! Please post when you can - those left behind appreaciate it! :D

Hope the south swell forecast arrived and the Cape was firing today!!! :D ;)

Ryan wrote:...We're still here, five days with no wind...

That's weird, would have thought there would have been SOME wind on Friday and/or Tuesday - were there days when you were socked in with fog?

Ryan wrote:...but back strong today and for the foreseeable future...

Both pressure forecast (which I still struggle to read) and the PR nearshore (forecast for dummies) look STRONG for the next week. That would make sense as we are forecast for 'heat' here and I have noticed in the past we we get 'heat' here it can mean good wind there - high pressure to the north of you and low to the south, that is what Morewind watched for in the pressure model, if I understood his tutorial correctly.

PR forecast (Jun 4).jpg
PR forecast (Jun 4).jpg (122.17 KiB) Viewed 14247 times

I have never seen one look that strong on so many days. :shock: Early morning sessions might be worth considering if it really lets loose.

Ryan wrote:...Some pictures from today.

Thanks for the pictures! Great to see what's 'happening'! :D
Especially since the IATB surf cam is pointed at the parking lot. :? :oops:

IOTB (2015 June 4).jpg
IOTB (2015 June 4).jpg (44.01 KiB) Viewed 14247 times
C36

by Jennifer » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:23 pm

Thanks for all the tips Dave. We've met both Dana and Leo, both have lots of knowledge about the area like you said. Your comments about Cape in the am and the rock in the evening held true today. That's pretty much the way the crowds (of 10 sailors) moved around.

Today the winds definitely kicked in. I was on 4.2 at the Cape in the morning and then 3.7 at the rock. Generally super gusty and quite onshore. We missed the nice 10am 4.7 session at the cape before the winds got crazy. Despite the crazy winds there was some nice swell today, the sets were nicely spaced out so getting out wasn't too hard. Between shoulder to logo high sets came through. It was just so windy that I found it was hard to control on the waves....although Ryan and the locals all caught some good rides. Lots to learn and lots of fun :)

Hopefully see some of you down here next week?!
Jennifer

by Ryan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:13 pm

Today was tough, super gusty, but some nice waves were coming through.
Pistol River was very onshore.

I had two long chases after my board down the beach during our Pistol River session, my new strategy is to head directly for the beach once I lose my board then run along the beach to try to catch up with it.
Ryan

by C36 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:56 pm

Jennifer wrote:Thanks for all the tips Dave. We've met both Dana and Leo, both have lots of knowledge about the area like you said. Your comments about Cape in the am and the rock in the evening held true today. That's pretty much the way the crowds (of 10 sailors) moved around.

Today the winds definitely kicked in. I was on 4.2 at the Cape in the morning and then 3.7 at the rock. Generally super gusty and quite onshore. We missed the nice 10am 4.7 session at the cape before the winds got crazy. Despite the crazy winds there was some nice swell today, the sets were nicely spaced out so getting out wasn't too hard. Between shoulder to logo high sets came through. It was just so windy that I found it was hard to control on the waves....although Ryan and the locals all caught some good rides. Lots to learn and lots of fun :)

Hopefully see some of you down here next week?!

8-) Glad to hear some of my ramblings have been some help.

AWESOME to it all!!! Meeting 'the resident' (Dana) and Leo; double-header of the cape and the rock in one small day; crazy wind; and sounds like the south swell showed up (icing on the cake)!!! :D :D :D

If that forecast holds true, early starts at the cape may serve up the best conditions of the day. The Cape can get blown out before lunch and the afternoon at the rock may turn into full-on freak show! Sounds like some of that may have unfolded today. Waiting for the wind to back off crazy days is a crap shoot - it can sometimes rock to dark on big days ~

If wave forecast holds true the wave spacing may begin to tighten up as the south swell may be over now (hope they are wrong and it lingers longer).

"Lots to learn and lots of fun" :D :D :D I can sense the BIG smile afterglow from the challenging day! :D :D :D

Ryan wrote:Today was tough, super gusty, but some nice waves were coming through.
Pistol River was very onshore.

I had two long chases after my board down the beach during our Pistol River session, my new strategy is to head directly for the beach once I lose my board then run along the beach to try to catch up with it.

I really respect your frank comments Ryan! Haven't seen you challenged very often locally, so it must have been a pretty challenging day. I can TOTALLY relate to heading straight to the beach and letting the gear fend for itself on 'tough' days - sometimes it comes down to conserving as much energy as possible (and getting organized and going again in the 'death zone' is faint hope and can be a HUGE energy sponge - for me anyways)!

Not sure if the rip / channel is still there south of the rock, in years past the littoral current increases in strength the further south of the rip you get (making catching up to your gear that much harder). On those 'tough' days I would try to tuck up close to the islands to the north (like getting into the lee of the south jetty at Newport) - smaller waves and less current. Hope that makes sense. I have seen BWD and TheLaw (and others) score really clean rides up there on certain days.

My impressions are confused waves are common at Pistol River, but the wind us usually steady, so what you got today is hopefully 'unusual' and wind should be more side-onshore and steadier in future.

I sense you will both sleep well tonight!!! Enjoy the well deserved rest. :D ;)

Thanks for sharing! :D :D :D
C36

by C36 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:38 am

Ryan/Jen:

Using your descriptions of the conditions and pictures, I took a quick look at the wind graphs from the last two days looking for a proxy for the Cape/Pistol River (I have looked in the past and couldn't find one):

Floras Lake (to the north)
  • usually less wind than the Cape and Pistol River
  • reporting SLIGHTLY LESS wind than the Cape and Pistol River the last two days

Gold Beach (in town)
  • reporting SIGNIFICANTLY LESS wind than the Cape and Pistol River the last two days

Port Orford Bouy (off shore)
  • can blow day and night offshore
  • reporting MORE than the Cape and Pistol River the last two days (except in the peak of the afternoon if the wind comes to shore)

Brookings (to the south)
  • reporting ABOUT SAME wind than the Cape and Pistol River the last two days

Crescent City (to the south just inside CA)
  • reporting ABOUT SAME wind than the Cape and Pistol River the last two days - this is unusual to my understanding (and worth keeping an eye on IMHO)

PR wind graph (2015 Jun 3).jpg
PR wind graph (2015 Jun 3).jpg (95.3 KiB) Viewed 14198 times

PR wind graph (2015 Jun 4).jpg
PR wind graph (2015 Jun 4).jpg (98.79 KiB) Viewed 14198 times

Let us know if these two graphs look like what you got the Cape/Pistol River on Wed and Thurs. Thanks!
C36

by C36 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:18 am

More news from PR here - Thursday sailing log.

C36

by Ryan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:20 am

C36 wrote:Ryan/Jen:
Let us know if these two graphs look like what you got the Cape/Pistol River on Wed and Thurs. Thanks!

That looks about right, maybe the average was a couple of knots higher, we got about the same, I was on 4.5 overpowered which usually for me is 30 + gusts.
Conditions were so gusty, everyone felt the same about the wind.
Ryan

by Ryan » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:33 pm

Great day at Cape Sebastian Today

P1030853.JPG
Making the most of little waves #photo
P1030853.JPG (724.64 KiB) Viewed 14183 times

P1030756.JPG
Ryan backloop attempt, clearly not looking at the landing spot #photo
P1030756.JPG (753.14 KiB) Viewed 14183 times

P1030757.JPG
Eject! #photo
P1030757.JPG (750.6 KiB) Viewed 14183 times

P1030758.JPG
Board still wants to land it #photo
P1030758.JPG (761.32 KiB) Viewed 14183 times

P1030736.JPG
One of Jen's Backloop attempts #photo
P1030736.JPG (531.98 KiB) Viewed 14183 times

P1030716.JPG
Jen on a wave at Cape Sebastian #photo
P1030716.JPG (730.68 KiB) Viewed 14183 times

P1030698.JPG
Shore Break at Pistol River yesterday #photo
P1030698.JPG (751.91 KiB) Viewed 14183 times
Ryan

by LeopardSkin » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:37 pm

Go Brawzinho!
LeopardSkin

by C36 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:44 pm

Shore break at Pistol yesterday (June 5) looks really heavy! :o

Cape with enough to jump today (June 6), you guys are getting the royal TREATment! 8-) :D ;)
C36

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing