Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Sunday AM SW

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Patrick » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:50 pm

Super fun day! I was at the beach later in the day and found someone's self launcher. If it's yours let me know and so I can get it to you.
Patrick

by Ryancr500 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:36 pm

Thanks for posting the photos, they look great! What an amazing day!! First time sailing at White Rock and it was awesome. Big swells close to the pier. Spent most of the day fully powered on my 4.4/74 EVO though sometimes overpowered just trying to keep the board in the water. Great to see such a large group out on the water too. Looking forward to the next windy day. Nice having a pub across the street too. Ryan
Ryancr500

by Lubo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:08 pm

Awesome day at Ferry Terminal
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (96.71 KiB) Viewed 19136 times
Lubo

by Michael » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:29 pm

Lubo wrote:Awesome day at Ferry Terminal

Glad you had a good day Lubo! Sorry I didn't join you, I hadn't sailed White Rock in so long I thought I'd better get over there while I had the chance. Looks like you got some nice wind though.
Michael

by Lubo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:37 pm

Michael wrote:
Lubo wrote:Awesome day at Ferry Terminal

Glad you had a good day Lubo! Sorry I didn't join you, I hadn't sailed White Rock in so long I thought I'd better get over there while I had the chance. Looks like you got some nice wind though.

Wind was solid and sensor is bang on.
Lubo

by ShonanDB » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:01 pm

It was great to get out today at WR. For how long the wind lasted I could have gone to Point Roberts but WR was a lot of fun. Fully lit to overpowered on my 4.7 and 73L most of the morning except for the lull around 9ish. Switched to my 110L for half a run but realized that the wind had picked up again and I couldn't keep the board on the water so I went back in and switched to the 73L again. Some fun port jumps on the way out especially early on and found a few breaking waves on the way back in to smack and catch some air off of. The rollers over by the pier were nice when they set up and I was able to reach down and drag my back hand on a couple hero jibes. :D Was pretty tired by 11:00 and called it a day as I went over the handlebars a few times in the white water and was starting to get sloppy.

Thanks for the pics Tony and Dave and welcome back Mike. :)

Lubo, was there anyone else at the Ferry Terminal today? How high could you point up towards Point Roberts? I've only sailed there on a SSW or NW days and I found it really choppy.
ShonanDB

by Slappy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:44 am

My first session at WR and I was blown away with the quality of waves.

The wind was a mess but the waves more than made up for it. Spent 2.5 hr with 7m and SB.

There were some really nice waves just south of the pier but only me and a guy with a TT and Orange North kite were hitting them. Not sure why most of the kiters stayed down around the launch as it was mushy there.

It was cool to see a SUP out catching some waves. He really should have moved up to about 1/2 way between the launch and pier as there were great breaking waves there but it was a bit too close to the rocks to kite in on shore. Or at least gone to the pier so he could paddle out in its wind shadow.

That high tide launch is super sketchy though. Saw others launch from the grass so I gave it a go. No margin for error with those trees right there. The grass was crazy slippery and I went for a 15 foot mud slide that ended with 2 of my lines slightly tangled in a tree. Thanks to the guy who grabbed my harness for backup while I got them free. Always nice to have support. A very scary way to start the morning and from now on I will only be launching from the beach with the kite on the grass or beach.

I'll definitely be coming back to WR for those waves though. How often does it deliver waves like today?

Some pics here https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A55oqs3qG9JUbD
Slappy

by Alton » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:32 am

Slappy wrote:I'll definitely be coming back to WR for those waves though. How often does it deliver waves like today?

Every time I've windsurfed White Rock on SSW to SW (prevailing direction) from 18 to 30 knots, those beautiful big waves by the pier have always been there. The only problem is the wind is very weak near the pier so I'm often too underpowered to complete a good gybe off those waves - but when I can it's ecstasy.

However, when blows westerly at White Rock, it's paradise. Huge smooth waves inside and out. Westerlies are generally weaker at White Rock so it's very rare - only had 1 westerly session at White Rock in 2014.
Last edited by Alton on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alton

by Alton » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:37 am

I'm so sore this morning I can barely move. Glad there's no wind today - need some rest.
Alton

by C36 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:24 am

Slappy wrote:I'll definitely be coming back to WR for those waves though. How often does it deliver waves like today?

Alton wrote:Every time I've windsurfed White Rock on SSW to SW (prevailing direction) from 18 to 30 knots, those beautiful big waves by the pier have always been there. The only problem is the wind is very weak near the pier so I'm often too underpowered to complete a good gybe off those waves - but when I can it's ecstasy.

However, when blows westerly at White Rock, it's paradise. Huge smooth waves inside and out. Westerlies are generally weaker at White Rock so it's very rare - only had 1 westerly session at White Rock in 2014.

Glad to hear you were impressed and had fun. :D BradR encouraged the windsurfing community to try this spot a few years back and we are thankful to him for doing so. He knows this spot really well and has graciously shared his knowledge with us.

Here are a few more points BradR had mentioned mixed with my own observations to add to Alton's post.

How often? Single digits each year from what I have seen. Not as often as most would like, but just often enough to keep you coming back to see if it one of those magical days. Waves can set up on SW through to NW. The last part is really a bit of mystery to me as I understand W shifting NW, but I wouldn't think there would be enough fetch inside Boundary Bay to produce large swell on NW alone and I wouldn't think they are wrapping around Point Roberts, but I have seen the swell/waves on a NW.

As for wave quality it is the closest thing to a coastal wave that I have seen here in the Lower Mainland (shape, speed and behaviour). On certain tide depths the swell/waves can also roll down near the boarder marker too. In general mid-tide (high 2's to 3's M) seems to be the favoured depth. Yesterday was mid 3's the whole time. When the bank is exposed (less than 1.5 from my notes) you don't get waves, you just get rolling swell out in the deep water off the bank.

I find it is a moody spot. Yesterday was unusual from what I have seen - similar wind strength, wind direction and tide height the whole session. Often there can be wild swings in direction and strength that can leave me yelling out load in frustration at times and in bliss at other times (there was some of both yesterday for me). When the wind is side-on the apparent period between waves on the way out is increased (as you are travelling further before you hit the next one) allowing you to spool up more speed and take as much air as many times as you wish (or have the strength to). This can also increase the opportunity for frontside riding as well. In general the SE is the puffiest wind and the more it rotates to the W/NW the steadier the wind can get (especially once it is clear of the point to the SW).

Tricky kite launch - yesterday was one of the more challenging days for sure (straight onshore wind and high-mid tide, but not the worst I have seen as there was no real shore break as can occur on 4 M plus storm surge conditions). Clay was saying that they walked a kite or two out into the water for a safer launch - something to consider in future in similar conditions.

Why were so many kites sailing to the south? You mentioned the rocks / shore break immediately south of the pier and Alton mentioned the unsettled wind lofting in front of the bluff. Those are two reasons I can think of. There is also the issue of wind strength and water conditions (more wind and flatter water to the south). But I know Cam really enjoys the waves out near the pier kiting on similar days in the past.

When the stars align this place can produce truly golden moments. :D ;)

Hope some of this makes sense. Others should feel free to comment on this as well.

:idea: I would really appreciate hearing how yesterday at White Rock compared to your wave sailing recon mission at Iona Spit.
Last edited by C36 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C36

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR