Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Tuesday SE?

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Brian C » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:13 pm

Glad everyone got out and in through the "river of wood" without incident today. Just fyi, tomorrow's high tide at 9am is more than a foot higher than today's at 8am, if the predicted storm surge happens, so watch out for another fresh load of junk in the water. have fun,
Brian
Brian C

by Alton » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:25 pm

Brian C wrote:Glad everyone got out and in through the "river of wood" without incident today. Just fyi, tomorrow's high tide at 9am is more than a foot higher than today's at 8am, if the predicted storm surge happens, so watch out for another fresh load of junk in the water. have fun,
Brian

Brian - you were bang on! In fact, Adrien noticed the wooden rectangular structure at the shore of 3rd Ave got wiped out (no longer existent) by the storm surge.

ImageIMG_7301 by C36_flickr, on Flickr
Alton

by Faceplant » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:05 pm

It's great to hear of all that scored. I got denied. Heading to Tofino Saturday for a week. Hope to score a day or two over there.
Faceplant

by Michael » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:37 pm

Congrats to Adrien 4.5, Ryan 5.0, Michael 5.2, Dave/C36 4.5 our fearless leaders who dodged (and survived) the train of fast moving logs and tree trunks at 3rd Avenue dawn patrol.

Hey Alton , glad you scored in Delta. What a crazy session that was! Ridiculously over powered on the 5.2 but got in some nice wave rides and a few good jumps. Mostly survival sailing in an angry mass of waves though. :o After everyone left I ran home and got my SUP. Actually got a few rides in on the nice breaking waves at Centennial ( Richi and Dave :D ), one was really sweet. Then I noticed the wind had come back up, because I was getting blown off my board, so I grabbed my 5.2/110 and scored another hour windsurfing with Brad and AJ. There were some big holes but it was a great way to finish off the day. Thanks again for rescuing my board! :D

Still of the day!! There were a few big waves out there today! :o
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 9.03.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 9.03.18 PM.png (955.16 KiB) Viewed 7930 times
Michael

by AdrienGrelon » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:15 pm

Awesome day, well worth the uber early wake-up.

C36 wrote:Once the flotilla of wood passed I launched, thankful to have an opening.

I wasn't quite so strategic, and just kinda ran at the shore break with my gear on my head :lol:

Michael wrote:Still of the day!! There were a few big waves out there today! :o

Nice! I had a couple of rides down those monsters, I swear it was more like dirt biking than windsurfing :D At least you had your 87l out to make up for the 5.2m.

Here's a quick montage of today's shots. It gives a good idea of the shorebreak/flooding zone for those who missed out.

The one forward I tried was garbage - sheeted in much too early when the nose was still high and it ended up as an ugly cheese roll... After that I went for my 2nd-7th ever starboard backloop attempts. They're looking awfully "panfryer", I must say :D Eventually things turned to surfvival, and upon coming in to grab the 3.7m the wind backed off.

Dave and I made it to White Rock for round II just too late unfortunately... Looked like a fun water state there. Now, let's see if I can pump out 2000 qualities words on this paper so I can make it to tomorrow's session ;)
AdrienGrelon

by 8mdude » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:29 pm

AM session at CNL: 3.4 m/83L and 4.5/83L (with Michael, Brad, Simon...)
PM session at TWSN: 8m kite (with Tony360)

I didn't think ferry terminal is kiteable on SSE. It's onshore but wind is wind.
8mdude

by Alton » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:39 pm

Adrien - love the video especially your jumps. Hilarious - looks like you just kicked the logs out of your way as if they were twigs.

Adrien.jpeg
Adrien.jpeg (36.1 KiB) Viewed 7909 times
Alton

by ShonanDB » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:39 pm

Wow, I wish BB would be like it was this morning more often! Arrived at CNL shortly after 8am and rigged my 4.2 and 73L and was on the water by 8:30. It was a little light right at shore but I waded out through the debris and slogged out the first 20 metres and then was fully lit bouncing off every wave. Couldn't keep the board in the water and could barely sheet in in the gusts - survival sailing for the first 4 runs. Came in to adjust my sail and headed back out again but found that the wind had backed off a bit and there were noticeable holes between gusts. The wind seemed to shift more South and get really holey for a while and it was difficult to stay up wind. Beautiful waist to shoulder high waves to play on on the way back in and as many ramps as you wanted on the way out. At one point, for about 15 minutes, I was sailing straight into the oncoming waves and it reminded me of Michael's SW video. Got some great rides on the way back in but the wind started backing off noticeably and I came in down in front of the concession. Had to dodge some big logs a few times today but timed it right each time and didn't get rolled in the shore break. I was off the water by 10am and as it seemed to be done for the day, I had a quick "sink shower" and headed to work downtown. Great start to the day but wish it would have lasted about 2 hours longer as I can't make it out tomorrow or Thursday. Rigged up my helmet cam today and will sort through the footage and see if there is anything worth posting. Darrell
ShonanDB

by Mike » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:33 am

Wow what a day.

Adrien - your video was great. Those logs look like leg breakers and I'm glad no one got hurt. The back loop work really shows well. From my few attempts it seems if you at least come down part on the nose it's a soft landing which is what you looked to be doing or very close. I read a previous post about you landing on your back and i know those "smart" :)

Michael - that still photo makes the wave look surfable. Had you dropped down on that one?
Mike

by Faceplant » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:14 pm

Nice Video Adrien. Given'r eh!?

Here is news clip of wave action yesterday.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1718169/update-state-of-emergency-declared-as-delta-braces-for-possible-flood/
Faceplant

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR