Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Thursday - Last November Session

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Alton » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:38 pm

AdrienGrelon wrote:according to facebook I may have missed my official graduation ceremony today :roll: :lol:

Hilarious ... another day in the life of Adrien Grelon - our new fearless leader
Alton

by Chuck » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:39 pm

Michael wrote:
Double session, double country, double sport ...
Nice score Chuck and Alton!
The wind did pick back up after you left and I sailed another hour. Up and down day but still fun. As I was leaving at 2:30 Adrien rushed back in to see why the hell I wasn't out on the water for the best waves of the day! Sorry I missed that dude, your a machine! :D I was afraid that was going to happen when we hit the beach at 8 this morning. I knew that by the time the tide was low enough for some nice waves I would be totally wiped. Richi did you have to go to hospital, I hope you're feeling better! :o

Thanks! Glad we provided to sacrifice required to make the wind return but man, Locust was FUN :D . I don't think the graph indicates how steady the wind was and stoked to be kiting in the sunshine (for the first hour anyhow). It seems like the anti-Centennial, the sun comes out and the wind gets stronger (as opposed to dying off). I was pretty lit on my 9m kite and was actually considering humping down my wave board and 4.7 when the wind ramped up for about a 1/2 hr (yes Dave, it's true! :P ).

It must have been comical to watch the mad rigging frenzy as Alton, AJ and I arrived almost simultaneously and madly started pumping up our kites. I had the secret weapon tho, my new SUP pump which not only saves my back but pumps up faster...or maybe I was just the most motivated ;) Fortunately George showed up to launch last-man Alton as AJ and I were out ripping it up :P

It was just the four of us and one other on a Flysurfer/flying mattress (man those things really seem to like the water!) enjoying the Action! Guess all our American friends were busy stuffing themselves with Turkey

Good times!!! :D :D :D
Zero wait at the Borders (both ways no less) and .84/l gas made for a worthwhile trip
Chuck

by Chuck » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:43 pm

LeopardSkin wrote:Richi: pix or it didn't happen.

This from the man who has yet to be spotted at the Beach this fall :lol:
...unless you showed for the afternoon session....
Chuck

by LeopardSkin » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:50 pm

Chuck wrote:
LeopardSkin wrote:Richi: pix or it didn't happen.

This from the man who has yet to be spotted at the Beach this fall :lol:
...unless you showed for the afternoon session....

I'm the guy sliding on grass & rocks at Cypress.
LeopardSkin

by Brian C » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:53 pm

At Centennial, the four of us who stayed latest got the best conditions I think. Sunshine, rainbows in the distance, and strong 5.0 wind. Waves were still only to be found in a few spots out in the bay, but it was so beautiful out there that we kept looking at each other to see if anyone was going in yet. By 4pm we were all spent but happy, except for feeling bad that Richi missed it (see my other post).
ps - I mention no other names in case someone got in trouble for being late for picking up her daughter at the daycare :o
Brian C

by Alton » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:54 pm

Brian C wrote:ps - I mention no other names in case someone got in trouble for being late for picking up her daughter at the daycare :o

We don't call her BabyMama for nothing ;)
Alton

by nicolas » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:52 pm

Brian C wrote:At Centennial, the four of us who stayed latest got the best conditions I think. Sunshine, rainbows in the distance, and strong 5.0 wind. Waves were still only to be found in a few spots out in the bay, but it was so beautiful out there that we kept looking at each other to see if anyone was going in yet. By 4pm we were all spent but happy, except for feeling bad that Richi missed it (see my other post).
ps - I mention no other names in case someone got in trouble for being late for picking up her daughter at the daycare :o

Yes Brian it was awesome out there with beautiful sunshine in the end. Got on the water at 2:30pm, it was a bit light then it picked up the last hour after Adrien left and I was lit on my 5.0. That's it for me with winter sailing for a while as I'm heading south to Guadeloupe F.W.I. on Dec 5th returning on January 12.
Just board shorts ladies and gentlemen and big ramps for jumping and gybing!!
nicolas

by AdrienGrelon » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:06 pm

nicolas wrote:That's it for me with winter sailing for a while as I'm heading south to Guadeloupe F.W.I. on Dec 5th returning on January 12.
Just board shorts ladies and gentlemen and big ramps for jumping and gybing!!

Haha, enjoy Nico. Glad you got a good session in despite the later arrival. I got a good crack out of one of your duck gybe crashes today! :lol:
AdrienGrelon

by ShonanDB » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:34 pm

Richi wrote:Worst session of the year. While going out on my first run I decided my boom was a little too low, instead of coming in I decided to unclamp it and adjust it on the fly. I have done this dozens of times and never really thought it was a big deal. Somehow today I got my fingertip stuck in the clamp while closing the clamp and crap did it hurt. I looked down at my bleeding hand and the bottom of my fingernail was popped out. That was the end of my quick session, one run going out and one run coming in with my middle finger salute.

After going to the hospital and getting an X-ray I was told my fingertip was broken off, I guess thats what had pushed my fingernail out. the next step was cutting the rest of my nail off, cleaning the bone, and restitching my finger and old nail back on. After getting another X-ray they decided the tip wasn't in the right spot so opened it up again and tried a different technique to get it in the right spot. This time it looked pretty good, 4 hours later while looking at all the leaves blowing around in the parking lot!

Things I learned today, Don't adjust on the fly and Chinook triple clamp boom heads suck! They have been known to break masts as they have to much clamping force, american over engineered piece of crap!

Thanks for everyone on the beach telling me to go to the hospital, and Brian for cleaning and derigging my gear. Im glad everyone had some nice rainbow action at Centennial though :)

Richi - glad to hear that you got it looked at and that everything is sorted. It sucks getting hurt but getting all that done in 4 hours is pretty good. What hospital did you end up going to? Darrell
ShonanDB

by ShonanDB » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:53 pm

That was a fun day! Weird, but fun. Rigged my 5.3 but the wind backed off around 8:30am so I quickly re-rigged my 5.9 and took out the 73L board. Got on the water shortly after 9:30am and worked my way up to the boat launch to try to find the best waves. Found a nice spot just North of 3rd ave and stayed there until it started to get a little holey and did a slow downwinder back to Centennial. Glad I stayed long enough for the 2nd session as I caught about an hour from 12:30 until 1:30ish but then had to go and get downtown. Weird how the wind would channel through just off the beach and then shut down once you got out more than a few 100m. One time I could barely waterstart on the outside but once up and heading back in I was back in 20knots of wind. Everything was working today, just too bad that we have some cold weather coming in for the next few weeks allowing the rust to build again. DB
ShonanDB

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR