Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Tuesday - Thursday NE Outflows Where To Go?

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Chris Klohn » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:16 am

AG I hope this answers some questions............

There's an epic forecast shaping up for Howe Sound this week and possibly good for BB too. It looks like a multi day outflow event is on it's way. Tuesday is definitely the day to go as the temps will be much better at the start of the outflow versus later in the week when the cold air layer starts to build.

If the outflow is exceptionally strong at BB, 30+ knots, and it has lots of North in it, there is actually some nice wave action 1-2 miles south of 3rd on 2.5 - 3.5 meter tides. The sandbars and drop offs set up nicely for N-NE wind swell. I believe Michael got into last year on his -7 frozen board, sail, wetsuit day with Alton.

IMHO the Howe Sound downwinder, with a group, was always way more fun than mowing the lawn at BB in 20 knot onshore conditions. The downwinder options are either B-Beach to Porteau Cove or Furry Creek to Porteau Cove.

I did the former last year and it was no problem. I'm not sure about water access at Fury Creek now? In the 90's we used to rig on the 14th green and launch from there with one car parked on the shoulder of the highway :D

It's best to get a few people together and take two vehicles. One parked at Porteau for pickup and one at the launch spot, either at Furry or B-Beach. You need to make sure Pam Rocks is blowing N-NE. If it's showing ENE there will be a 150-200 meter wind shadow close to shore and you either have to catch a gust in/out or swim 15 minutes with your gear.

When you launch from Britannia you need about 1/2 meter larger sail size compared to Porteau. I've never had issues planing straight off the shore when the wind is reading N-NE at Pam Rocks. Count on the wind strength being about 5-10 knots less than whatever Pam Rocks is doing.

The swell in the middle is overhead, smooth and wide with the wind strengths they are forecasting on Tuesday. As you sail closer to the shorelines things flatten out into 1-3 foot chop. You'll know your in for a good one when you can see the sheets of spray at the bottleneck just upwind from Pam Rocks.

With a couple people going it's an absolutely epic sail. Swell riding and never worrying about staying upwind for 10 km on small gear. Very similar to sailing from Blaylock Canyon to Arlington in the Gorge or Stevenson to the Event Site. Don't worry about the temps on Tuesday. They will be nothing like those pictures of Michael and Alton frozen solid at BB last year! If you got on the water at 1000am you'd still get 4-5 hours of what looks like 3.5-4.0 wind :D

Worth a try with a few people...........

Cheers,

Chris
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (144.47 KiB) Viewed 7235 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (204.88 KiB) Viewed 7235 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (116.5 KiB) Viewed 7235 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (188.85 KiB) Viewed 7235 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (297.94 KiB) Viewed 7235 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (252.17 KiB) Viewed 7235 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (282.48 KiB) Viewed 7235 times
Last edited by Chris Klohn on Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Klohn

by AdrienGrelon » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:38 am

CK, you're the man! :D Thanks for the info! Adrian L was telling me about how the strong outflows can be epic, and we've been discussing trying to catch one.

Is that second pic from Howe Sound?! Holy sh!t, I'll remember to pack the 3.7m :o

I wanted starboard jumping opportunities.... looks like this could be the holy grail! Last week we hosted the WTF Centennial Classic, now it's time to bring on the Tim Horton's Storm Chase!
AdrienGrelon

by Chris Klohn » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:47 am

Hey AG,

It's a view from a BC Ferry deck coming into Howe Sound I dug up in an archive online with the other picture. Spent many o' days sailing outflows up there in the winter in my late teens and early 20's.

Almost always sub 4.5 wind with lots of mid to low 3 meter stuff on a forecast like this Tuesday. That was at 225 pounds on a 78 litre wave board...........20 years ago :roll:

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by Chris Klohn » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:49 am

It's going to crank from B-Beach to Pam Rocks all day Tuesday.
35-50 Knots and +5 degrees......... strongest winds and coldest temperatures before lunch.
Chris Klohn

by Michael » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:42 am

Hey Chris, does it have to be a down winder? isn't there a place you can just sail from the shore and back?
Michael

by C36 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:03 pm

Here are a few more shots of what an arctic outflow can look like in November. :shock:

2006 Nov 27 - "Artic outflow over the Sunshine Coast and Howe Sound. It was a chilly one!"
C36

Return to Weather Talk and OSR