Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Tuesday NE

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Michael » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:28 am

Richi wrote:How do you get an invite to this party, it seems like it's the one not to miss this season. I may be down there in a few days, so I may do some scouting.

I haven't been up to Lily point yet, but I noticed on this picture that there is a clear line going to the desired beach. Any chance there is a shortcut?

At the end of that line is a cliff. Alton and I walked out there last year on a big SSE day to check it out. The tide was high and the water was just really choppy.

Don't get too excited, searching for the Holy Grail never ends well. :D
holy-grail.jpg
holy-grail.jpg (60.99 KiB) Viewed 17077 times

Just ask these guys.

Holy-Grail-monthy-python.jpg
Holy-Grail-monthy-python.jpg (822.66 KiB) Viewed 17076 times
Michael

by Richi » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:24 am

Haha Michael, that's pretty accurate. Now how tall an extension ladder do I need to pack with me next time, how high is this cliff? What are the laws in Washington about running ATV's down the beach, that would give PR a nice Baja feel to it. :)
Richi

by Alton » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:30 am

This forum gets more interesting when there's no wind. WTF ???
Alton

by Michael » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:39 am

Alton wrote:This forum gets more interesting when there's no wind. WTF ???

I was just picturing us on the edge of that cliff last year falling to our death in the quest for DTL sailing. Actually I'm surprised you didn't jump in with the Monty Python references earlier!
Michael

by ShonanDB » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:47 am

Great reference Michael! I have always found that the quest/journey to find the "Holey Grail" is half the fun. John Cleese is in town by the way.
ShonanDB

by Alton » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:59 am

Michael wrote:I was just picturing us on the edge of that cliff last year falling to our death in the quest for DTL sailing. Actually I'm surprised you didn't jump in with the Monty Python references earlier!

Alton

by C36 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:54 pm

Richi wrote:How do you get an invite to this party, it seems like it's the one not to miss this season. I may be down there in a few days, so I may do some scouting.

I haven't been up to Lily point yet, but I noticed on this picture that there is a clear line going to the desired beach. Any chance there is a shortcut?

There is at least one staircase down the south face there, but I am pretty sure it is on private property. I drove down to the foot of Claire Lane and took a quick look, but did not see any public access. The other issue is you are on the wrong side of Lilly Point and the cove is quite a walk from there (~800 m even once you are down a beach level).

Michael wrote:At the end of that line is a cliff. Alton and I walked out there last year on a big SSE day to check it out. The tide was high and the water was just really choppy...

M: Were you able to reach the beach from the end of the road? Or was your viewpoint at the top of the cliff?
C36

by Chris Klohn » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:33 pm

You guys are definitely on the right track. An angled gravel bar that extends right out into very deep water with the huge fetch to the SE has some serious potential.

Sounds like Shonan already saw the 90 degree wrap out there last year on the 18-20 knot Point Bob day he had.

I would guess on a low tide you could stay far enough upwind from the bluff and to the east that you would escape the loss of wind strength as it lifts up over the face.

I'm picturing chest to head high wind swell hitting that huge, shallow gravel bar extending out to the ESE off the point on a low tide.

Looks very promising!
Chris Klohn

by AdrienGrelon » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:58 pm

I used to use coconuts to give my Chariot of Glory™ an authentic feel, and that way people always knew when I was approaching the lands of Acadia.

I will definitely go far and wide to get a taste of some DTL action. ATV's on the beach are a bonus, if we can arrange that.

AdrienGrelon

by Michael » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:32 pm

M: Were you able to reach the beach from the end of the road? Or was your viewpoint at the top of the cliff?
You can't reach the beach it's just a cliff. There is a path down that brings you out at the very south tip of Lilly Point though.

Westport looks sweet though. Has anyone ever sailed there?

http://magicseaweed.com/photoLab/viewPhoto.php?photoId=314518&browseSession=44b32b50f78ee4320af5a689fda81d61
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR