Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Tuesday NE

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Brad R » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:38 pm

Dave; if you are going to try this one day from that beach you mentioned let me know if you want a wingman; I'd love to try this place! :D

Thanks to Slappy who posted this!
Brad R

by Michael » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:59 pm

Brad R wrote:Dave; if you are going to try this one day from that beach you mentioned let me know if you want a wingman; I'd love to try this place! :D

Thanks to Slappy who posted this!

I'm in! I think it was Jonathan that brought it up though. I think he actually posted about this spot a year ago. I remember because I had just been down there for a walk with me kids and was thinking the same thing. The tide will need to be low as there are a lot of rocks near the beach but from looking at Jonathan's picture it could be sweet. I never thought about walking around from Maple beach though, that might be better than that walk down from the parking lot up top.
Michael

by Slappy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:22 pm

C36 wrote:The good new is it looks like there is parking in the Maple Beach area (~1 km closer).

Coming over from Maple Beach you barely have to go upwind so I would think it would be about 4x faster to get there.

But you'll have to go upwind to get back so it's more risky, but at least you don't run the risk of dealing with the border on a gear malfunction.
Slappy

by C36 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:32 pm

Brad R wrote:Dave; if you are going to try this one day from that beach you mentioned let me know if you want a wingman; I'd love to try this place! :D

Michael wrote:I'm in! I think it was Jonathan that brought it up though. I think he actually posted about this spot a year ago. I remember because I had just been down there for a walk with me kids and was thinking the same thing. The tide will need to be low as there are a lot of rocks near the beach but from looking at Jonathan's picture it could be sweet...

I am guessing the Jonathan and DB may both be interest too. :D ;) So let's all keep watch for a decent day and give it shot with those interested and available.

Michael wrote:...I never thought about walking around from Maple beach though, that might be better than that walk down from the parking lot up top.

I was thinking of sailing up from Maple Beach (walk was just back to the gear you dropped off at the south end of Bay View Drive from the parking on Roosevelt Way). I am still wondering what would be the best plan of attack: (1) walk down from the Lily Point parking lot (you could guess sail size from the lookout above); or launch from Maple Beach and sail upwind 2 km.

A few more interesting pictures of Lilly Point and Point Roberts:

Lily Point aerial 1
Lily Point aerial 2
rocks at low tide
close-up of the rocks
close-up of the rocks 2
close-up of the rocks 3
Lily Point East Spit exposed on a low tide

aerial of Lighthouse Park
Last edited by C36 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by ShonanDB » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:01 pm

I sailed alone one day last Spring off Lighthouse Park on a SSE 18 - 20+ day and found that I could sail parallel to the beach and sailed over past the Marina to the Crystal Beach location but I didn't see anything setting up there. I didn't go all the way over to Lily Point as the Bluff was affecting the wind when I got close. I noticed some areas where large rollers were coming through and other areas where it was pretty flat. Once in a while a decent set would come through 90 degrees to the shore which I found strange at the time but it must have wrapped around the point and headed west. The biggest rollers I found that day were about chest high but they were on the west side of Lighthouse Park in the deep water. Out front of the Marina was interesting as there were some steep faces caused by the waves reflecting back off the man made pier set up to protect the Marina.
Looking at those pics that Dave just posted, especially #2, the point and surrounding area could be magical on a SE, S, NE, or SW day over 20 knots! I'm definitely keen to do whatever it takes to get in there when the conditions cooperate. Count me in..
ShonanDB

by AdrienGrelon » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:27 pm

ShonanDB wrote:Count me in..

+1
AdrienGrelon

by C36 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:52 am

ShonanDB wrote:I sailed alone one day last Spring off Lighthouse Park on a SSE 18 - 20+ day and found that I could sail parallel to the beach and sailed over past the Marina to the Crystal Beach location but I didn't see anything setting up there. I didn't go all the way over to Lily Point as the Bluff was affecting the wind when I got close. I noticed some areas where large rollers were coming through and other areas where it was pretty flat. Once in a while a decent set would come through 90 degrees to the shore which I found strange at the time but it must have wrapped around the point and headed west. The biggest rollers I found that day were about chest high but they were on the west side of Lighthouse Park in the deep water. Out front of the Marina was interesting as there were some steep faces caused by the waves reflecting back off the man made pier set up to protect the Marina...

The 'bluff affect' on the wind may result in a different (larger) sail size required at the Lily Point cove then at Maple Beach and/or Lighthouse Park (that also seemed to be the case on the ENE on Nov 11). :? Could always apply the 'Columbia Beach' solution (rig for the inside and deal with being overpowered on the outside). Likely the case on a S, but might get lucky and get a 'cape affect' wind compression on SE. :D

ShonanDB wrote:...
Looking at those pics that Dave just posted, especially #2, the point and surrounding area could be magical on a SE, S, NE, or SW day over 20 knots! I'm definitely keen to do whatever it takes to get in there when the conditions cooperate. Count me in..

:lol: I figured as much. ;)

AdrienGrelon wrote:+1

Nice to see. :D I sensed you might chime in too. ;)

A third option came to mind, a shuttle, leave a car at Maple Beach and drive back to Lily Point Park, walk down the hill, sail the Lily Point cove, then do a downwinder to Maple Beach, if conditions suited. This might be the best way to make sure you get to sail the cove and test the 'bluff affect' at the same time.

Although it seems to make sense, I continue to be drawn to the Maple Beach launch. Thoughts?
C36

by Richi » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:17 am

How do you get an invite to this party, it seems like it's the one not to miss this season. I may be down there in a few days, so I may do some scouting.

I haven't been up to Lily point yet, but I noticed on this picture that there is a clear line going to the desired beach. Any chance there is a shortcut?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (212.64 KiB) Viewed 14468 times
Richi

by Slappy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:20 am

Another shot worth posting:
LillyPointCannery.JPG
LillyPointCannery.JPG (103.53 KiB) Viewed 14470 times

vs. now you can still see many of the pilings, and you can imagine where there might still be submerged pilings:
LilyPointNow.JPG
LilyPointNow.JPG (120.74 KiB) Viewed 14470 times

That picture from the spit looking back at Lilly Point is pretty crazy how far out you can walk on a really low tide, I image it might get some nice wave action on the right tide. Watch out for kelp out there though.
Slappy

by Faceplant » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:26 am

Excellent info. Thanks for sharing everyone! I kite, and surf. Looks like a good place to hike into with both setups next time it sets up.
Faceplant

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR