Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Sunday SE clocking NW

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by filipj » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:45 pm

That was a super fun session on the North side of the terminal. I was on the water just after 1 pm on a 115L and 5.6 Hucker, and later on a 5.4 Revo. Both times overpowered in the gusts. Chop was mostly disorganized with only occasional 2-3 foot ramps. Unfortunately, I couldnt see a freakin thing going into the sun so even my pathetic jumps were mostly accidental affairs . Easy time keeping upwind until about 315pm (sorry Joe) when the wind backed off. Everyone else (I think there were about 5 other windsurfers) seemed to slogging at that point and I called it a day. Good turnout on the south side - I think there must have been 30 kiters.
filipj

by C36 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:01 am

AdrienGrelon wrote:Damn those pics of starboard jumping opportunities are eating away at me now :shock:

Starboard jumping was comparable, less frequent, but more predictable then what I have seen at Columbia Beach (solid opportunities for forwards, backs not so much).

AdrienGrelon wrote:So, what's the deal with NEasterlies here? The first time I launched from a snow-covered beach was at Jericho on a NE, and it was pretty good, albeit f*ckin cold! I'm in the market for starboard jumps these days, and I think Jericho would work out better than Boundary Bay for that on a NE, assuming similar windstrengths in both spots.

Thoughts from the more seasoned? Cheers.

NE is frigid for sure (just check out the pictures of the icicles on M's helmet - they are REAL :o :shock: ). I can't speak to NE on English Bay, but Boundary Bay is usually pretty tough jumping unless you get one of the Magic sessions (tide around 1.6 m deep near the boarder). :D ;) My two cents.
C36

by ShonanDB » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:32 am

Good day overall today at Point Roberts even though I had some equipment challenges. Once the wind picked up and I switched to the 4.7 and 73L everything was working. I liked the location and found it much easier to keep upwind than at the point proper and we found some nice pockets with sweet waves. Was underpowered at the end but still got planing in the gusts after switching back to the 110L. Lucked out with the sunshine and warm conditions and US$0.68 a litre gas. Maybe the last warm day for a while.
ShonanDB

by Alton » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:44 am

joeblo wrote:Hey Alton, I would question the validity of your wind graph. I was at the ferry terminal and there is no way it was as windy as it said. Everyone on the north side of the terminal got off the water by about 4ish as it was too weak. It may have been good before 3:30 when I got on the water, but after 3:30 it was not enough for my 5.6 and 100L board. The graph you posted has it at 2o knots until 5......And Adriene, you didn't miss much at all. Good call to hit the books and save on the gas. Perhaps it was better at the point, but the terminal was weak!

Hey Joe - Blow Me-

I agree that the Blow Me- wind graph for Tsawwassen tends to read high but yesterday it was bang on before 3:30pm.

Before 3:30pm - NW 25 gusting 30. I was occasionally overpowered on my 10m kite. Lots of kiters rigged down to 7m. Darrell, Dave and Richi were powered on 4.5m and 4.7m at Point Roberts. Filip was overpowered on this 5.4 Revo.

After 3:30pm - NW 20 dropping to NW 15. The Blow Me- wind graph overstated the actual as you observed. Kites started coming in and packing up. Last kiter came off the water at 4:30pm. I think Dave, Darrell and Richi sailed until sunset at Point Roberts.

Unfortunately for Tsawwassen there is no alternative wind sensor for a westerly wind (either free or paid).

BlowMe.jpeg
BlowMe.jpeg (77.33 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
Alton

by Richi » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:51 am

Fun session at PR with David and Darrel, glad I pulled the plug on bird watching at Acadia. David gave a great recap on the outing as usual and expected ;) I will add that the nicest surprise was that the waves and swell were dead onshore even though the wind was side on. Not only does this make for great starboard jumping, it also gives you allot of confidence that the waves will push you to shore if the wind dies or in case of gear failure. It definitely made my runs allot longer not worrying about passing the point. Other bonuses were the sweet grass rigging area and the heated washroom/ change room at lighthouse park. Oh yah, 68 cent gas too :P
Richi

by Alton » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:32 am

C36 wrote:
Alton wrote:Glad to hear Darrell, Dave/C36 and Richi scored an amazing session at Point Roberts. I'm kinda jealous.

You've got not reason to be jealous, you are welcome to come join in the fun next time! :D

Dave - thanks for answering all my questions. Your pictures answered more questions like where you parked and confirmed that Graham (missing kiter) is okay. See this post on kiteboardbc. Your OSRs and pictures have inspired me to try Gulf Road next time Point Roberts blows westerly. No longer nervous about getting washed out to into the Strait of Georgia. On my last westerly at PR the nose of my JP 93 got tumbled and damaged in the shore break (south shore).

P.S. Love the sunset pictures of Richi.
Alton

by C36 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:08 pm

Alton wrote:Dave - thanks for answering all my questions. Your pictures answered more questions like where you parked and confirmed that Graham (missing kiter) is okay. See this post on kiteboardbc. Your OSRs and pictures have inspired me to try Gulf Road next time Point Roberts blows westerly. No longer nervous about getting washed out to into the Strait of Georgia. On my last westerly at PR the nose of my JP 93 got tumbled and damaged in the shore break (south shore).

P.S. Love the sunset pictures of Richi.

Your welcome. Glad you liked the sunest shots (some of my favourites too - lighting was awesome for pictures the whole session).

TIDE/SHORE BREAK

It's also important to remember that tide was slack, although we noticed what appeared to be some modest storm serge which took away a few feet of the beach. Tide was about 3 m and at 4 m there wouldn't be much beach left and the rock wall to the south, which was just passable, would likely not be.

Even with the moderate shore break I got my gear washed from my hands once while exiting (as I got distracted by the wayward kiter looking for his gear). Shore break down at Lighthouse Park was dumping harder for sure (even in the diminishing wind).

DISTANCES

I just wanted to confirm a couple of the distances I mentioned in the one OSR:

• Maximum distance we sailed upwind (to the north) was about 600 m or to Bluff Road
  • Distance (north) to boarder is about 2 km
  • Distance (north) to Fred Gingell Park is about 2.6 km
  • Distance (south) to Lighthouse Park (Point Roberts proper) is about 1.2 km

So we sailed about a third of the way up to the boarder or about a quarter of the way up to Fred Gingell (not half way as I said in the OSR). What I thought was 1st Avenue from the water was Bluff Road. Darrell and I thought we had equalled the distance to Lighthouse Park when sailing north, but we only gained about half that distance. :oops:
C36

by C36 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:10 pm

Looks like the island trumped us again! :roll:
More stoke for the fire!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Click here to view the 'scene' and click here to read about it.
C36

by AdrienGrelon » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:15 pm

Those guys don't know how good they've got it...
AdrienGrelon

by Alton » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:19 pm

AdrienGrelon wrote:Those guys don't know how good they've got it...

And another epic day tomorrow

BWD.jpeg
BWD.jpeg (93.53 KiB) Viewed 8886 times
Alton

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR