Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Sunday SE clocking NW

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Alton » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:57 pm

As G-Spot/BWD forecasted the Tsawwassen Ferry terminal delivered NW 20-25 gusting 30 super flat water under blue sunny sky. Scored almost 3 hrs from starting at 1:30 occasionally overpowered on my 10m + surfboard - many kiters on 7m. Super fun working on toeside turns and foot work on surfboard - almost got one but still not there. About 30 kiters including AJ, Chuck, Lucas/Faceplant, Mark/Roxsocks, Jeff, Denman, Aileen, Jerry, Clay, Cash, Laura, Rob D, Kirsten, Colin ...

About 5 windsurfers on the north side of the ferry terminal including Filip, Norvin, Bryan, Joeblo(?). I assume my 4.7/93L windsurfer would have worked.

Glad to hear Darrell, Dave/C36 and Richi scored an amazing session at Point Roberts. I'm kinda jealous.

BlowMe.jpeg
BlowMe.jpeg (77.33 KiB) Viewed 9141 times
Alton

by Faceplant » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:15 pm

Best day on the water in a long time. Boosted some serious air on my 12M. Went to the second floor a couple of times! Was fairly overpowered during the peak. Geared down to the 9M which I haven't pumped in a long time. Man I miss the quick turning smaller kites. Good to see lots of people out.
What about the dude that got blown down wind towards Point Roberts? Anyone see him? I'm wondering if it was the guy with the 13.5M Naish Cult (light green). sorry didn't catch his name.
Faceplant

by Alton » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:21 pm

Faceplant wrote:What about the dude that got blown down wind towards Point Roberts? Anyone see him? I'm wondering if it was the guy with the 13.5M Naish Cult (light green). sorry didn't catch his name.

I believe Chuck (kiting) towed him back and Darrell (windsurfing at Point Roberts) picked up his kite.
Alton

by Alton » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Darrell, Dave, Richi - a few questions about Point Roberts:

1. Did Darrell return the kite he retrieved back to the kiter?

2. Did you guys launch from the end of Gulf Road?

3. How did you manage to get out pass the shore break on the westerly?

4. Was it easy to sail both north and south of Gulf Road?

5. Did you guys (or can you guys) stay north of the light house? That way you can avoid the danger of drift into the Strait of Georgia in case of a breakdown. In other words, is launching from Gulf Road entirely safe on a westerly?

PointRoberts.jpeg
PointRoberts.jpeg (158.1 KiB) Viewed 9113 times
Alton

by AdrienGrelon » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:14 pm

Michael wrote:PS I just ordered a clew view for my Gopro after you inspired me with your rocking vid last week.

Nice! I think the mast mount and clew mount work best for showing off rotations and jumps, and the head mount is better for gybes/waves. That Hateras video was awesome, that dude is ripping. Our revenge better be sweet indeed - I'm looking at Tuesday (hopefully buying booties tomorrow in anticipation).

joeblo wrote:Where did everyone go today?

I went to check out Acadia, mainly out of convenience. There was a big crew of birdwatchers there, including Greg, Caroline, Richi (at first), Francois, Bryan, Massimo and more... I had a feeling the wind had too much north in it to really push into English Bay, and that's exactly what happened. Some big kites out at Spanish Banks, but it really didn't look great.

Point Roberts was definitely the place to be today by the sounds of it (in anticipation of photo confirmation by Dave/C36 ;) ).
AdrienGrelon

by 8mdude » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:12 pm

Awesome day again this time at Ferry Terminal with 8 square meter kite for 3 1/2 hours.
8mdude

by joeblo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:22 pm

Hey Alton, I would question the validity of your wind graph. I was at the ferry terminal and there is no way it was as windy as it said. Everyone on the north side of the terminal got off the water by about 4ish as it was too weak. It may have been good before 3:30 when I got on the water, but after 3:30 it was not enough for my 5.6 and 100L board. The graph you posted has it at 2o knots until 5......And Adriene, you didn't miss much at all. Good call to hit the books and save on the gas. Perhaps it was better at the point, but the terminal was weak!
joeblo

by Faceplant » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:46 pm

joeblo wrote: 3:30 when I got on the water, .... Perhaps it was better at the point, but the terminal was weak!

Should've got there earlier. Far from weak.
Faceplant

by C36 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:15 pm

AdrienGrelon wrote:Point Roberts was definitely the place to be today by the sounds of it (in anticipation of photo confirmation by Dave/C36 ;) ).

Click here to see some pictures of Fred Gingell Park look 'see'.
OSR from Fred Gingell.

Click here to see some pictures from '' at Point Roberts.

Pre-Launch OSR
Mid-Session OSR
Post-Session OSR (1 of 2)
Post-Session OSR (2 of 2)

Alton wrote:Darrell, Dave, Richi - a few questions about Point Roberts:
1. Did Darrell return the kite he retrieved back to the kiter?

Yes at the end of the session. Good Karma for Darrell. :D ;)

Alton wrote:2. Did you guys launch from the end of Gulf Road?

Yes. 8-)

Alton wrote:3. How did you manage to get out pass the shore break on the westerly?

Shore break was easy-pesy at first and then ramped up as the wind ramped up. Still manageable, but less wind then the day the wind was rocking the van at Point Bob when we rigged 3.6's. :shock:

Alton wrote:4. Was it easy to sail both north and south of Gulf Road?

Early on we sailed well above (right of Gulf Road). Later we were limited to left of Gulf Road and just about did a 'down winder' to Point Bob. :lol: ;)

Alton wrote:5. Did you guys (or can you guys) stay north of the light house? That way you can avoid the danger of drift into the Strait of Georgia in case of a breakdown. In other words, is launching from Gulf Road entirely safe on a westerly?

Yes. I glanced over my shoulder after gybing a few times and I was even with the point (even after going well out off the beach).

:idea: Other details are provided in the OSR's above. :D ;)

Alton wrote:Glad to hear Darrell, Dave/C36 and Richi scored an amazing session at Point Roberts. I'm kinda jealous.

You've got not reason to be jealous, you are welcome to come join in the fun next time! :D

AdrienGrelon wrote:Dave, you're killing me here... I should've just done the right thing and headed south at 12pm, but after the successes of Thursday I wasn't feeling like gambling too much. Did not believe for one bit that you guys would be rigging down to mid 4s, and I didn't wanna travel too far for what I thought would be a day of cruising on the XL.. very jealous.

Big thank you for the one-time limited gas offer, but with the sun coming down in an hour I'm off to the library to work on an assignment, and gonna have to let the offer expire. :D Once again you're in the right place at the right time!! Make the most of it aka. loop, loop, loop!

Your most welcome! I kept watching the beach expecting to see you roll up! :lol:

Michael wrote:If it's any conciliation Adrien I've been stuck at home working watching the trees sway to 30 knots of wind. Not to worry my friend our revenge will be sweet! :twisted: :twisted:

THANKS for helping with the 'mission' in your hood today by taking the time to give me directions to Fred Gingell Park! You presence was missed on the water my friend! :D
Last edited by C36 on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:17 am, edited 9 times in total.
C36

by AdrienGrelon » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:44 pm

Damn those pics of starboard jumping opportunities are eating away at me now :shock:

So, what's the deal with NEasterlies here? The first time I launched from a snow-covered beach was at Jericho on a NE, and it was pretty good, albeit f*ckin cold! I'm in the market for starboard jumps these days, and I think Jericho would work out better than Boundary Bay for that on a NE, assuming similar windstrengths in both spots.

Thoughts from the more seasoned? Cheers.
AdrienGrelon

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR