Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Locust Saturday?

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Chuck » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:58 pm

OSR@72nd/Bbay
Saw the Locust sensor tank as I was packing up and swung by 72nd to check it out...maybe 5knots gusting slightly above that but certainly not the 16 reported@YVR
Looks like a skunkfest allround.
Chuck

by Alton » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:32 pm

2 local kiters scored 1.5 hrs on 9m from 10:30am-11:30am. AJ and I arrived too late at 12pm. As suspected the Locust sensor is not sending direction - only wind strength. For now, it's best to use the Bellingham Airport for direction which only updates every hour.

Locust_Sat_Oct_25.gif
Locust_Sat_Oct_25.gif (18.5 KiB) Viewed 4826 times

With plenty of time to kill I picked up a new set of Slingshot glass thrusters (to replace the el-cheapo plastic stock fins) for only $30. Next we went to check out Marine Park (Post Point) with Adrien, Joaquin and C36.
Alton

by Slappy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:03 pm

One thing you might want to consider for your sb is:

http://www.makanifins.com/collections/k ... urfing-fin

I have the quad version on mine and it makes life in the weeds more manageable (still not 100% weed free though). They aren't cheap but hey, it's a good Canadian company!
Slappy

by Alton » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:24 pm

The plan is to convert the $30 thrusters into weed fins.
Alton

by C36 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:03 pm

Chuck wrote:[googlemap]
http://goo.gl/maps/NEaIp[/googlemap]

I think this would be the spot to hit for windsurfing tomorrow. It's right in the middle of the strongest forecast wind on TJ's zoom and while I've never sailed from here, I have checked it out and it is much better set up for windsurfing than Locust; tide is not an issue, the parking is RIGHT there, zero carry and you launch pretty much into the swell line.

I'm thinking of packing all the toys and, given the actuals mid-morning, checking this spot out first. Long overdue for some Pole skipping and a true windsport :P

A few pictures of Marine Park - Fairhaven here.

• deep water right off the beach (so launch would be possible regardless of tide height): yup
  • grass rigging area: yup
  • washrooms: yup
  • zero carry: yup
  • launch pretty much into the swell line: yup
  • village of Fairhaven (food and beverages) is within walking distance: yup

But there is also
  • tide exposure (flooding tide yesterday was showing a strong push to the south
  • possible wind shadow and side-off during SE from the point to the south)
  • modest beach length and hazards to the south (railway ballast) and north (rock shoreline and dry dock) could make this place tricky if the wind was variable in a strong tide
  • dry dock to the south cause a strange reflective swell if there was a westerly direction to the swell (SW through NW)
  • place also has a very urban feel to it

Bottom line: I think the only reason I would return to this spot was if there was no wind and/or no water at Locust Beach.
C36

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR