Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Boundary Bay Tue?

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Alton » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:19 pm

Epic session at Boundary Bay today. After patiently watching Cash (13.5m), Gabor (flysurfer) and Martin (16m) finish their big kite session without me, it finally ramped up at 12:30pm. Fuck*ng awesome 1.5 hrs session on my 10m with surfboard along with Bill (10m), Steve Grider (11m), Chamers (8m) and Jaryn (10m). SSE to S 20-25 gusting 30+ with clean breaking waves (waist to chest high) and sharp ramps under sunny skies and a huge rainbow. Tons of fun jumping ramps and S-turns in the waves on my surfboard. 6 failed attempts switching my feet in the waves. Because I still can't turn the surfboard I got lots of practice mounting the board (with straps) and waterstarting in challenging conditions. For about 20 minutes at 1:30pm it cranked S 30+ (way overpowered) pushing me way downwind near Centennial. With full de-power on my 10m I quickly got back upwind to 3rd Ave.

Michael (4.7), Francis (5.6) and Richi (4.5) also scored the epic session windsurfing down at Centennial. Francis was so overpowered on his 5.6 hucker he had to totally flatten his sail.

So eager to get a windsurfing session I got off the water at 2pm. Unfortunately, as I was chasing and landing Steve Grider's kite my calf "snapped" - very painful. I'm hoping it's only a bad cramp but my physio-therapist will let me know tomorrow - fingers crossed.

Anyway after 2pm the wind got light so it was back to 12m kites for 6 new arrivals.

BoundaryBay_Tue_Oct_28.gif
BoundaryBay_Tue_Oct_28.gif (22.72 KiB) Viewed 8140 times
Alton

by Faceplant » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:38 pm

Looked awesome on the cam. The bay looked frothy for a while. Glad a bunch of people scored. Kinda brutal how these wind episodes come in and as quick as they are here they are gone. I'm new to the sport but also realize that's the way it is. Wicked, you got the surf board going Alton!
Hope the calf is ok. Mine cramped up real bad during a surf session on the weekend. It hurt for a while, but after lots and lots of water, gatorade, and a bag of salt and vinegar chips it was totally fine! :D
Faceplant

by AdrienGrelon » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:47 pm

Glad a bunch of you scored during the epic power-hour! I've got some stoke-hangover from yesteryday: my head and body both hurt bad, so I wouldn't have made it out even if I didn't have class.

I think Essex came in just after the peak, around 2pm. Apparently it tanked hard after and someone got stuck out there...

Hope it's nothing serious with your calf, Alton.
AdrienGrelon

by C36 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:19 pm

A few shots here of Locust (9 am lull); Ala Spit on Whidbey Island (wouldn't go back there again); no shots of Crescent Beach (nice spot but you can't sail it so wouldn't go back there again - you can't get near the place to sail it unless you are military personnel); and back to Locust (caught second gear cool down at the end of the day after squandering the best three hours touring Whidbey Island :roll: ). Still nice to get out in the warm air, :D

Nice to see Columbia Beach was over head high today!
C36

by Michael » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:35 pm

Epic session at Boundary Bay today.
Yup that 20 minutes reminded me why I love sailing there. Almost forgot how epic it can be, hope we see a day where we got more than 30 minutes of wind soon.
Michael

by Chris Klohn » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:51 pm

Hey Dave,

Were the hourly Oak Harbour winds off the sensor I posted accurate with what was happening on the water down there? Did you drive another 15 minutes to Ebey after the blocked access at Crescent? Just trying to figure out where you sailed at Whidbey today in the wind? Columbia looked sick in the pictures!
Chris Klohn

by C36 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:26 am

Chris Klohn wrote:Hey Dave,

Were the hourly Oak Harbour winds off the sensor I posted accurate with what was happening on the water down there? Did you drive another 15 minutes to Ebey after the blocked access at Crescent? Just trying to figure out where you sailed at Whidbey today in the wind? Columbia looked sick in the pictures!

Short answer: overstated, even for Crescent Beach.

Long answer: Got to Ala Spit about 10:30 and left Oak Harbour around 12:15. The whole time it looked big gear weather to me (5.2/110) - Ala Spit, east of Crescent Beach, park in town west of Crescent Beach. The exception was Crescent Beach which was stronger and more consistent, with nicer wind swell (waist high+) but you can't sail there. Last time down Ebby Landing was lighter than Oak Harbour and side-off on the same direction (with the prospect of sailing alone) and Locust was showing 30-40 (stronger and nicer wave shape), so I pulled the plug and headed north to Locust.

Paul (kite sailor from Bellingham who I meet at Joseph Whidbey State Park before) said he only goes to WI for west at JWSP, and prefers Locust over WI, since access to Crescent Beach was closed. He was the one who mentioned Ala Spit and we decided to give it a try.
C36

by Alton » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:12 pm

AdrienGrelon wrote:Hope it's nothing serious with your calf, Alton.

Faceplant wrote:Hope the calf is ok. Mine cramped up real bad during a surf session on the weekend. It hurt for a while, but after lots and lots of water, gatorade, and a bag of salt and vinegar chips it was totally fine! :D

Good news. Got back from my physiotherapist and it's just strained muscle. Daily stretches, range-of-motion exercises and ibuprofen will do the trick. Hopefully I'll be ready for the next session ... otherwise, I'll be really pissed.
Alton

by C36 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:27 pm

Alton wrote:Good news. Got back from my physiotherapist and it's just strained muscle. Daily stretches, range-of-motion exercises and ibuprofen will do the trick. Hopefully I'll be ready for the next session ... otherwise, I'll be really pissed.

Good news Alton - hope you have a quick and complete recovery!
C36

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR