Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

"Outflowing" at Squamish?

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Alton » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:34 pm

Yet another fantastic day at Squamish. Late start at 1pm with steady SW 18 filled in everywhere. Wanted to try out my medium twin tip (North Dragon 135x40) with 10m North. No problem going upwind just a little bumpy in the chop.

At 2pm wind dropped to SW 15 but still very steady. Just barely keeping upwind I switched to the large twin tip (Fanatic Easy Rider 144x40.5) and went upwind with ease.

After 2 hours of kiting, switched to windsurfing on 5.2/93L. Excellent timing as wind cranked up to SW 20+ isolated to the river. Fun watching Adrien and Mike work on freestyle. Other windsurfers included Simon, Filip, Alex and about 6 more.

Squamish_Tue_Jul_1.gif
Squamish_Tue_Jul_1.gif (25.84 KiB) Viewed 6082 times
Alton

by AdrienGrelon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:49 pm

Yup, awesome two days, despite blowing my boom out on a spin loop crash yesterday.

Nailed my first "textbook" starboard spin loop today in very shallow and completely flat water, with a fast exit/waterstart up in both straps and the sail still dry! Ecstatic about that, and looking forwards - pun intended - to taking the move to big chop and Boundary Bay come winter!

Also getting ever closer to claiming Vulcans. I've been able to move forwards a few feet in switch stance after the slide and hand change several times, but only to sink a rail or the nose, so I can't claim that move just yet.

:D
AdrienGrelon

by Mike » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:41 am

In spite of inflow forecasts on Tuesday, I had doubts, but was proved wrong about the wind. Sailed 5.3 - generally solid in river but generally a bit lighter leaving the river. Although not always able to get a lot of speed leaving the river, one of my few spock attempts for the day was the closest I've got - sail flipped, grabbed but couldn't quite keep my balance to claim it (a few more knots wind might have done it). At least I'm not getting slammed by the sail so much now. Sore left shoulder (& abit on top of shoulder) from too much overstreching, twisting and hard pressing down. Next time will have to COMMIT to more flaka work for port side to give the shoulder more rest time. Adrien's spin loop work was looking good and thought I'd try a couple - no one probably knew what it was but me :) It's been around 4 years since I last worked early progressions of these at Centennial. I need to go back to some progression exercises so I know what to do when the time comes to "pull the trigger". Nice to see the good turn out for windsurfers! Looking forward to more.
Mike

by Jennifer » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:59 pm

Adrian - try jibing without taking your feet out of the footstraps, then put yourself in the Vulcan ending position and work on the exit until you nailed it. Then once you land the Vulcan you already have the muscle memory exit it and you can (finally) claim it!

It's the low wind switch stance sailing that really helped me sail away from my first Vulcans.
Jennifer

by AdrienGrelon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:29 am

Jennifer wrote:Adrian - try jibing without taking your feet out of the footstraps, then put yourself in the Vulcan ending position and work on the exit until you nailed it. Then once you land the Vulcan you already have the muscle memory exit it and you can (finally) claim it!

It's the low wind switch stance sailing that really helped me sail away from my first Vulcans.

I was actually thinking of trying this! Thanks for confirming my beliefs that it could be a good training tool.
AdrienGrelon

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR