Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Thursday - best session of the year

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Alton » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:17 pm

Kinda up and down at 3rd Ave but timed it well. 12m+surfboard was a handful ... 8m was just right. Suprisingly clean waves by Centennial for an easterly. ESE 18-22 with minimal chop. Only 5 kiters including Shab, Cash and Roxstock. 3 wingers including Michael ... and 1 e-Foiler.

Great way to start 2023 !!!

BoundaryBay_Thu_Jan_5.gif
BoundaryBay_Thu_Jan_5.gif (27.47 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
Alton

by Michael » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:45 am

Alton wrote:Kinda up and down at 3rd Ave but timed it well. 12m+surfboard was a handful ... 8m was just right. Suprisingly clean waves by Centennial for an easterly. ESE 18-22 with minimal chop. Only 5 kiters including Shab, Cash and Roxstock. 3 wingers including Michael ... and 1 e-Foiler.

Great way to start 2023 !!!

I arrived around 2:30, just as it tanked. I spent a lot of time swimming and contemplating that easterlies generally suck in Boundary Bay. Unless it's properly cranking 30 knots and sunny, then they can be fun, but yesterday was not that day. I was desperate to try the W730 again and it wasn't really liking the conditions. Really choppy with onshore unstable wind, the foil just felt unstable. Then the wind switched SSE and cranked 30 knots, that's when the foil turned on! The forecast was predicting this and I thought, OK now it's on!! I blasted outside but was suddenly way overpowered and thought I should head in closer to shore. Good thing I did as the wind only lasted 10 minutes. The next thing I knew I was swimming again, but luckily I was close to shore as it was now dark. For that 10 minutes though, I had a blast on the new foil! I managed to find a few nice waves and scored some rides, that foil is really surfy and cranks turns! I hope we get a decent day soon so I can really see how the foil performs.
Michael

by Slappy » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:37 pm

Surprised nobody was out Wednesday, it was 7 degrees and sunny with 20 knots easterly. Stinky winter daylight high tides though but those don't go away until March.
Slappy

Return to Weather Talk and OSR