Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Tuesday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Faceplant » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:55 pm

Considering it was a work day, it turned out very good. Added .1 feet to my maximum height according to woo. Saw dudes I hadn't seen in a while. The waves outside were really good I thought about an hour after SE got organized. Surfed a few waves even though on my Mako, tried for a little cover up, lots of slashes and overall good times. Some of the rain drops felt like they were going to pierce my eyeball! :shock:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 8.22.44 PM.png
troffs
Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 8.22.44 PM.png (1.61 MiB) Viewed 12706 times
Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 8.12.22 PM.png
cash-ola
Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 8.12.22 PM.png (898.2 KiB) Viewed 12706 times
Faceplant

by C36 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:58 pm

Bro! Best part of the session was seeing Michael apex his back loop!

Boat launch was OK - hammer chop inside, nice waves out over the second bank, but they seemed to be boiling on the outgoing tide at the edge of the second bank. I was slightly under gunned with 3.6/74 and found myself winding down in the boiling waves after jumping or riding too deep, coming to a stop and eventually getting rolled off the board. Was a bit better when I slacked off the sail and the rain squall came through, but never really felt settled. Fighting a low-grade flu since Sat and still seems to be robbing some of my energy and heat ~ in hindsight I should have rigged 4.0/92, but decided on smaller when I saw the water and chatted with M (it was windy at first, but got shifty and gusty).

Nice to have a quick chat with Lucas (Faceplant) as I was leaving 3rd (sorry I wasn't likely very chatty).

Swing by Gabriel`s Beach for a look-see and George was just packing up. Some nice looking SUP`n waves in the lee of the break wall, but I was too cold to go out again.

Pre-Session OSR

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

Faceplant wrote:Considering it was a work day, it turned out very good. Added .1 feet to my maximum height according to woo. Saw dudes I hadn't seen in a while. The waves outside were really good I thought about an hour after SE got organized. Surfed a few waves even though on my Mako, tried for a little cover up, lots of slashes and overall good times. Some of the rain drops felt like they were going to pierce my eyeball! :shock:

I usually don't mind bullet rain, but that was crazy!!! I had the same thought (need safety glasses), :D ;)

george wrote:Great day, big steep waves. Darrell with the duck gybes, and high speed passes, looked great. Gabriel riding a wave every time I looked his way. Me, Dave and Ulu might have to step up our game in these conditions, haha. It was challenging, but a lot of fun. Rest up for Friday, and give 'er! See you guys in the waves.
George

Let's hope so! 8-) :D
Last edited by C36 on Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C36

by Michael » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:27 am

C36 wrote:decided on smaller when I saw the water and chatted with M (it was windy at first, but got shifty and gusty).
Sorry Dave, it was a bit frustrating when the wind dropped. First I was over powered on the 3.8 then underpowered. Still an awesome day!
Few backie attempts the first one you saw was not planned the second went sideways! Hit the ramp and it must have been blowing 40 knots, I could feel the wind pushing me backwards and almost landed on top of my gear.
Some BIG :!: waves out there today although they weren't really well organized, got some killer rides and was punished on a few. Got washed bad a few times in the break, felt like real wave sailing out there today.
It would be so nice to be able to sail in conditions like today a few times a week instead of a few times a year.

Attachments
CNL_nicespace.jpeg
#photo 1
CNL_nicespace.jpeg (289.22 KiB) Viewed 12686 times
CNL_Cutback.jpeg
#photo 2
CNL_Cutback.jpeg (414.4 KiB) Viewed 12686 times
CNL_Monster_Outside.jpeg
#photo 3
CNL_Monster_Outside.jpeg (267.03 KiB) Viewed 12686 times
CNL_wave_1.jpeg
#photo 4
CNL_wave_1.jpeg (314.04 KiB) Viewed 12686 times
CNL_wave_2.jpeg
#photo 5
CNL_wave_2.jpeg (345.58 KiB) Viewed 12686 times
CNL_wave_3.jpeg
#photo 6
CNL_wave_3.jpeg (306.86 KiB) Viewed 12686 times
CNL_wave_4.jpeg
#photo 7
CNL_wave_4.jpeg (231.87 KiB) Viewed 12686 times
Michael

by LeopardSkin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:45 am

C36 wrote:...Pre-Session OSR...

Wha????!!!!

Shortest ever C36 OSR!
LeopardSkin

by Alton » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:19 am

Michael wrote:

Ouch! Next attempt Friday? Fingers crossed!!!
Alton

by Roxstock » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:01 am

Locals dominating North Americas scoreboard for March 1st. I missed the best wind but managed to make it in the top 15.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (235.35 KiB) Viewed 12659 times
Roxstock

by Alton » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:13 am

Roxstock wrote:Locals dominating North Americas scoreboard for March 1st. I missed the best wind but managed to make it in the top 15.

Hey Matt P - you got to catch up to Cash and Lucas ;)
Alton

by Alton » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:36 am

BTW - Josh Dyck is from Bellingham
Alton

by C36 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:58 am

C36 wrote:decided on smaller when I saw the water and chatted with M (it was windy at first, but got shifty and gusty).

Michael wrote:Sorry Dave, it was a bit frustrating when the wind dropped. First I was over powered on the 3.8 then underpowered. Still an awesome day!...

No need to be sorry silly. My gear, my decision.

Michael wrote:Few backie attempts the first one you saw was not planned...

That one looked quite good: nice steep wave, nice clean launch and good height with nose reaching a great position at the apex along an elliptical flight path. Looked like you waited a touch too long to push the nose through the eye of the wind so you started to descend in apex position (nose of the board into the wind) and landed butt first. On your way up, start looking over your shoulder so you can see the water (that should help you to judge your height and you can start spotting your landing) - this is what I am working on.

Michael wrote:...second went sideways! Hit the ramp and it must have been blowing 40 knots, I could feel the wind pushing me backwards and almost landed on top of my gear.

This one looks totally different - more like what I have heard Levi Siver describe as "initiating the rotation before leaving the wave" (bad). It's hard to tell how high you are, but in some frames is looks like just off the water - rotation looks flat and round (instead of up, down).

Focus on how that first one felt and repeat it! :D ;)
C36

by Michael » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:12 pm

Alton wrote:more like what I have heard Levi Siver describe as "initiating the rotation before leaving the wave" (bad)

Thanks for the tips Dave. I'm not sure if its all that bad when working with small waves. These freestylers are doing them in similar conditions to what we see at Centennial.
They all seem to be initiating the rotation on the wave, some more than others.

http://www.continentseven.com/backloop-dieter-van-der-eyken/

This clew first one is sick!!
http://www.continentseven.com/backloop-clew-first-kiri-thode-2/

http://www.continentseven.com/backloop-antoine-albert/

This one is most impressive with more of a big wave style but he's super fast!

[url]http://www.continentseven.com/backloop-jose-‘gollito’-estredo/[/url]
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR