Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Whidbey Pics

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:54 pm

Thanks to Dave I finally looked through the Whidbey footage and grabbed these stills. This was the wave of the day. It was really steep and when I dropped down you can see my nose went right under but I managed to make it out though.

WhidbeyWaveoftheday.jpg
#photo
WhidbeyWaveoftheday.jpg (516.42 KiB) Viewed 15345 times

NoseDive.jpg
#photo
NoseDive.jpg (569.55 KiB) Viewed 15345 times

Whitewater.jpg
#photo
Whitewater.jpg (534.76 KiB) Viewed 15345 times

Madeit.jpg
#photo
Madeit.jpg (629.48 KiB) Viewed 15345 times
Last edited by Michael on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

by AdrienGrelon » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:27 pm

Yeaaah buddy! That drop in shot is siiiicccckk.
AdrienGrelon

by Mike » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:40 am

Sweet!! Now I want to break my 100% skunkage rate for that spot.
Mike

by C36 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:44 am

:D :D :D
C36

by Tony360 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:27 am

Wow, beauty shots! The Gopro does not do it justice size wise, I would guess that wave was at least head high on the face. You really get a great sense of the speed from the first shot. And good save on that bottom turn after pearling the nose.

What is the most consistent time of year for NW wind on Whidbey? I think I should take a weekend trip with the family.
Tony360

by Michael » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:47 am

Tony360 wrote:Wow, beauty shots! The Gopro does not do it justice size wise, I would guess that wave was at least head high on the face. You really get a great sense of the speed from the first shot. And good save on that bottom turn after pearling the nose.

What is the most consistent time of year for NW wind on Whidbey? I think I should take a weekend trip with the family.

Thanks Tony, you're right the gopro just doesn't do the waves justice, if you look at the photos on the photo album page and click on the original size tab you get a better sense but it still not great. The nice thing is it's usually sunny on a Westerly and it makes for some great lighting. I'm not sure when is the most consistent time to go as Mike mentioned he has a 100% skunk rate. This spring has brought in a few nice days though. I think the kiters have more fun there as they can play in the break better but I wouldn't want to be on the outside there with a strapless board. The waves are big and really unorganized, it's hard to navigate out there. It can be a frustrating place to sail especially windsurfing. Looking through my footage in about half an hour of sailing I got 3 short wave rides, the rest of the time I'm trying to get upwind and battle the outside. It's funny though even those few wave rides make me want to go back. :D

Thanks to everyone else for their comments, I'm looking forward to getting back there with you guys. This time Dave we need to try sailing down wind more and check things out near the point. Hopefully we can get some better wave rides down there.
Michael

by C36 » Fri May 01, 2015 4:28 am

Michael wrote:...This time Dave we need to try sailing down wind more and check things out near the point. Hopefully we can get some better wave rides down there.

Deal. :D ;)
C36

by ShonanDB » Fri May 01, 2015 10:10 am

Great pics Michael! It's great to read your notes/comments about the day as each person has a very different experience in the same conditions on the same day. I find myself spending 90% of the time trying to stay upwind and trying to find that perfect wave/face and only catching a few good rides/turns where someone else says that they had a great day and getting 2-3 hours of uninterrupted TOW.
When it's "your turn" and everything clicks, you remember that day for a long time and you can't wait to go back. I remember sailing down on the Oregon Coast years ago on a big day with a group of friends and everyone was getting rolled in the surf and breaking equipment. On that day I got out first try and couldn't do anything wrong. My luck changed the next day though.....

Dawn patrol Sat morning?
ShonanDB

Return to Windsurfing