Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Nimpkish Lake

Windsurfing shop talk

by 8mdude » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:49 pm

Not a bad weekend at Nimpkish Lake. RV camping was free -- oh yay!. But the launch from the Windy Waters campsite was very very tricky since there was a wind shadow. First day -- swim out and swim back in about 200m each way. 2nd day I decided to go where the kiters launch since they had more wind exposure. So that's where the real fun began -- 3.7m / 75 L board with 25-27 knots NW.
8mdude

by Ryan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:26 pm

Sounds good AJ. How was the weather? Sunny or cloudy? I'm trying to figure out if Nimpkish can be windy with a good onshore flow at Port McNeil, but cloudy in Woss. Ideally one wants sunny in Woss.
Ryan

by 8mdude » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:52 pm

Ryan wrote:Sounds good AJ. How was the weather? Sunny or cloudy? I'm trying to figure out if Nimpkish can be windy with a good onshore flow at Port McNeil, but cloudy in Woss. Ideally one wants sunny in Woss.

It was sunny both Saturday and Sunday. NW wind is generated by cool Port McNeil and hot Woss.
8mdude

by Ryan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:47 pm

Thanks, so not great for this weekend going by the rules of thumb, but could happen as always.
Ryan

by AlexJ » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:23 pm

I’m in Port McNeill for the week - any hope for Nimpkish lake over the next few days?

Having never been this way before, wondering if this:

http://www.lepore.ca/Nimpkish/nimpkish.html

Is still legit info?

Any advice appreciated!
AlexJ

by 8mdude » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:41 pm

AlexJ wrote:I’m in Port McNeill for the week - any hope for Nimpkish lake over the next few days?

Having never been this way before, wondering if this:

http://www.lepore.ca/Nimpkish/nimpkish.html

Is still legit info?

Any advice appreciated!

The kite beach at the north side isn’t accessible as the gate to it is closed. However the kite beach at the south part of the lake near Anutz lake is pretty accurate as described in the site above
8mdude

by Slappy » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:51 pm

How are the bugs?
Slappy

by Cathulu » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:40 am

So you hiked up to kite beach on the trail? I have seen kiters do that as road access to kite beach was not available even years ago when i last went (about 10 years ago). I think it is about 20 min hike or even longer? The sole kiter then used a temporary anchor to help her self launch iirc.

When I was at Nimpkish you could wait for a gust to take your windsurfer out and getting back in was usually not a problem. So you could minimize swimming by timing if the winds are kind.

As before how are the noseeums and other bugs? We also had a cougar around which I never saw but others did.

Used to be a community of folks that showed up every year to help take care of the campsite including a guy from Saskatchewan... friendly folks.
Cathulu

by 8mdude » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:24 pm

Slappy wrote:How are the bugs?

Still is pretty cool at night so bugs not an issue. Don’t know about July or August

What bugs me though that short circuited my plan to work remotely is there’s no cellular coverage
Last edited by 8mdude on Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
8mdude

by 8mdude » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:28 pm

Cathulu wrote:So you hiked up to kite beach on the trail? I have seen kiters do that as road access to kite beach was not available even years ago when i last went (about 10 years ago). I think it is about 20 min hike or even longer? The sole kiter then used a temporary anchor to help her self launch iirc.

When I was at Nimpkish you could wait for a gust to take your windsurfer out and getting back in was usually not a problem. So you could minimize swimming by timing if the winds are kind.

As before how are the noseeums and other bugs? We also had a cougar around which I never saw but others did.

Used to be a community of folks that showed up every year to help take care of the campsite including a guy from Saskatchewan... friendly folks.

I heard about the hike up but didn’t try as 20 mins is too long

As windsurfer you could still go in and out if you have floaty board to get through the lulls of the wind shadow. My board is 75L so no good for them
8mdude

Return to Windsurfing