Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

MacKinaw Kite Co

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by 8mdude » Tue May 10, 2022 8:19 pm

Has anybody purchased from MacKiteboarding https://www.mackiteboarding.com ? I have purchased a pump recently and paid pump + shipping. Product arrived all right
but on top of it got another invoice from FedEx which seems like more shipping charges -- which is odd.
8mdude

by BigD » Tue May 10, 2022 9:10 pm

I've bought from there before. Always good prices and service. My guess would be brokerage fees and gst/PST charges.
BigD

by Cathulu » Wed May 11, 2022 8:25 pm

Use USPS. If you can’t then use UPS. With UPS you have the option to self clear, and avoid exorbitant fees. Search the Internet for how, CTV did something on it iirc.

I have self cleared with UPS - you have to inform UPS after the parcel is shipped in transit asap with the shipping identification. Then you go to the border receipt location (for me it was at YVR) and pay tax and duties if any with Canadian border services and then receive the goods there.

FedEx as I understand it don’t give the self clear option, FedEx is anti consumer in that respect imho.

If the fees are less than a certain amount then it is not worth your hassle. USPS is best because of arrangements with Canada Post. You will still pay but not exorbitantly…
Cathulu

by bandito » Thu May 12, 2022 9:08 am

Cathulu wrote:Use USPS. If you can’t then use UPS. With UPS you have the option to self clear, and avoid exorbitant fees. Search the Internet for how, CTV did something on it iirc.

I have self cleared with UPS - you have to inform UPS after the parcel is shipped in transit asap with the shipping identification. Then you go to the border receipt location (for me it was at YVR) and pay tax and duties if any with Canadian border services and then receive the goods there.

FedEx as I understand it don’t give the self clear option, FedEx is anti consumer in that respect imho.

If the fees are less than a certain amount then it is not worth your hassle. USPS is best because of arrangements with Canada Post. You will still pay but not exorbitantly…

Thanks for Tip
bandito

by sokol6666 » Thu May 12, 2022 12:42 pm

UPS does all the same way, as FED-EX. Sucks
sokol6666

by Cathulu » Thu May 12, 2022 7:00 pm

Another option is ship to a receiver in the US near the border. Blaine or Point Roberts. Point Roberts has a receiver where you can park in Canada, walk across the border and within a couple of hundred meters pick it up and return without waiting in the car lineup. They charge a couple of bucks to receive it under your name using their US address. So often you get cheap shipping or even free shipping cause you stay within the continental US.

Now that the border is open it is doable again. I have done that many many times and often bicycle over to do it. Usually if under one or two hundred $$ Canada Customs waive you across without stopping for tax or duty, even if you are in the US for only half an hour.

Cheers
Cathulu

by JonathanP » Sat May 14, 2022 9:38 am

I ship to Blaine postal center. Easy pickup on the way from or back to Canada and super simple sign up.
After 24hrs away, able to import up to $200 duty free and after 48hrs up to $800 duty free.
Find one of these in the gorge and save on all the taxes :D !
JonathanP

by rogdolphin » Sun May 15, 2022 8:33 pm

I have bought a few things from US and China, and I have picked them up from the UPS depot in Burnaby, a few days later they send me a Shipping, or a Customs processing "Bill" But that is a Fishing trick by UPS, they are looking for the free 18 - 25$ if you agree to pay them. I have never paid them, and it has never stopped them from delivering me the items that I have ordered, Yes it is a Good Idea to get stuff sent by USPS - Canada Post, who will not do this slimy trick..
rogdolphin

Return to General