Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Tuesday Westerly

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Slappy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:57 am

john m wrote:You know Iona is a sewage treatment plant,I worked building the pipe in the 80’s,stinky at low tide.

It's not really the sewage that is the issue at Iona, the four sewage tailing ponds probably don't leak much of anything in to the bay.

The real problem are the two duck ponds, they drain directly in to the bay and are pretty nasty (but not raw sewage nasty). This makes the back of the bay somewhere you should really avoid.

I used to kite at Iona and it can be really nice but I walk about 500m NW before launching to avoid the toxic sludge in the back of the bay. I've been yelled at by a park ranger a couple times though so I haven't been there in a while. They have one small paper no kiterboarding sign pinned up inside the message board, very hard to notice.

Iona.jpg
Iona.jpg (120.5 KiB) Viewed 1957 times

I only have one mediocre SE session on video of Iona.

A few times I've been out there on a 7m and the wind has really picked up to like 35g45. Due to it's exposure to the Straight once it starts howling there it gets pretty full on and it's a bit scary. Not an issue for pole boarders though.

There does tend to be some water logged logs resting on the bottom of the bay so watch out for your fins.
Slappy

by Jens » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:26 pm

john m wrote:You know Iona is a sewage treatment plant,I worked building the pipe in the 80’s,stinky at low tide.

Maybe that’s why the have a water hose to clean yourself after. I checked they water quality seems to have a better track record than English bay

gabrielb wrote:Acadia is your best bet, when on, Aside turns on as well:
surf 2.JPG

Wow, those ambleside waves look amazing!! guess it has to be a bit more SW for it to work there.

Yea been wondering about wreck too or tower beach between Acadia and wreck. Now with the border opening, gulf road in PR is a spot I;ve been meaning to try as well

Slappy wrote:There does tend to be some water logged logs resting on the bottom of the bay so watch out for your fins.

Thanks for the update info. Might be an idea to scope it out on a low tide day to see where those are located
Jens

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR