Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Maui for Spring Break. Tips Welcome!

Windsurfing shop talk

by vtsarkov » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:22 am

Hello!

I have a trip to Maui planned for Mar 13-23 and windsurfing is high up is on the list of activities. Searching this forum for past Maui reports has been helpful. Would appreciate tips on the questions below or just general advice - still very much in the planning phase.

1. Most importantly - is anybody considering a trip there around the same time?

2. Gear. My first thought was to rent - it would be great to try some new gear. Has anybody brought their own? I'm primarily worried about damage. Flying AC direct from YVR.

3. How were your rental experiences? Second Wind? Maui Windsurf Company? My understanding is that I would keep the gear for the duration of the stay and drive it around in my rental car?

4. Sailing spots: Ho'okipa is off limits (newb). I read about Kanaha and adjacent beaches (Spreckelsville) on the north shore. Are there any other spots on the southern/southwestern coast that are worth checking out?

5. I read that it is recommended to take an intro to wave riding course early on. Any experience with instructors on Maui?

Thanks!
---

-Vadim
vtsarkov

by Michael » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:25 pm

vtsarkov wrote:Most importantly - is anybody considering a trip there around the same time?

Probably can't go this year but there are usually a lot of people going that time of year.

vtsarkov wrote:Gear. My first thought was to rent - it would be great to try some new gear. Has anybody brought their own? I'm primarily worried about damage. Flying AC direct from YVR.

Flying with your own gear is possible depending on your airline, I don't think Air Canada allows boards. I've taken my sails, mast and boom and rented a board but have also rented the full kit.

vtsarkov wrote:How were your rental experiences? Second Wind? Maui Windsurf Company? My understanding is that I would keep the gear for the duration of the stay and drive it around in my rental car?

I have rented from Maui Windsurf ( Goya ), Kanaha Kai ( Straboard/Hot Sails) and Matt Pritchard (Gaastra). I like Kanaha Kai because of the convenience and I own the same gear. They used to have a 20% discount on pre booked gear and you can always swap windsurf gear for a SUP. Rent a windsurf van and you can take your gear everywhere.

vtsarkov wrote:Sailing spots: Ho'okipa is off limits (newb). I read about Kanaha and adjacent beaches (Spreckelsville) on the north shore. Are there any other spots on the southern/southwestern coast that are worth checking out?
First time there go to Kanaha, it has a nice variety of spots all at one beach. Uppers and Lowers, stay away from Weird Wave in the middle of the two. Ask someone to point it out, it can be dangerous.
They also have a life guard there. I've been rescued by the jet ski, broken mast, and they went back out and got my gear!

vtsarkov wrote:I read that it is recommended to take an intro to wave riding course early on. Any experience with instructors on Maui?

Great idea, contact https://pritchardwindsurfing.com/pw2020/ or https://shawnacropas.com another https://hstwindsurfing.com/windsurfing-lessons/

Have fun, I wish I was going too!
Michael

by shmish » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:09 pm

vtsarkov wrote:Hello!

I have a trip to Maui planned for Mar 13-23 and windsurfing is high up is on the list of activities. Searching this forum for past Maui reports has been helpful. Would appreciate tips on the questions below or just general advice - still very much in the planning phase.

That sounds awesome! I would love to hook up with you sometime after you get back and hear how it went, costs, etc. 1.5 years and both our kids will be out of the house (ish) and maybe we can do a trip like this.
shmish

by vtsarkov » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:52 pm

Michael, thank you all the tips!

It seems that you are correct in that AC does not accept WS equipment (boards). So renting is the way to go. I'm going to try Second Wind because they carry Fanatic/Duotone should seem familiar and I'm going to use this as a chance to test drive my next small board.

Doug - absolutely! Will do a detailed trip report at the end.
---

-Vadim
vtsarkov

by Michael » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:17 pm

vtsarkov wrote:Michael, thank you all the tips!

It seems that you are correct in that AC does not accept WS equipment (boards). So renting is the way to go. I'm going to try Second Wind because they carry Fanatic/Duotone should seem familiar and I'm going to use this as a chance to test drive my next small board.

Doug - absolutely! Will do a detailed trip report at the end.

No problem, just make sure you book the board you want as spring break is very busy! The one time I tried to rent gear from Second Wind most of their boards were gone and I couldn't get one in the volume I wanted.
Michael

by Bryanl » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:03 pm

I plan to be there in the Spring - not sure when but I usually try to avoid Spring Break.
Beat rentals are 2nd Wind & Kanaha Kai.
Matt Pritchard also has great rentals & will also give you a course in Wave Sailing.
I highly recommend Matt - His shop is Haiku which is a bit of a hike from town.
You're right - skip Hookipa - likely no one will rent gear to sail there anyway.
Don't bring your own gear for 2 weeks - not worth it - starts to make sense at about 3 weeks
Rent lots of gear - you don't want to miss anything if you have only 2 weeks - may need completely different gear later in the day.
Kanaha is the place to start - try Uppers 1st - more room inside the reef to sail if the waves are big.
Listen to everything about Weird Wave & avoid it - it could easily ruin your trip
Kehei is nice sailing when the wind is the right direction often stronger than Kanaha.
Most of all enjoy Maui - it's a special place
Bryanl

by Mike » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:52 am

Yes to everything the others said. Couple of thoughts to add:

vtsarkov wrote:
My understanding is that I would keep the gear for the duration of the stay and drive it around in my rental car?

I read about Kanaha

I've gone in the fall. I understand the spring is similar in terms of wind reliability. You may get lucky and see alot of days, or not... If you keep your gear for the duration, this might work out, or be expensive for nothing. Last time I was there, 2nd wind allowed a discount for pre-book but you only paid for the days you had gear. Even if it is windy, you may need different sized gear. The trade off is getting the size/board you want for the day if you don't keep it with you... Yes, the uncertainty of the sport.

Have your plan B firmly in mind. SUP is a natural choice (mind you it did not turn out to be of great interest for me, but that's just me). Lots of other options (on and off water), especially if you haven't been there before.

Make Kanaha your first choice if the wind conditions suit. Don't under estimate the power of the wave (as I did). Once overhead, the power really steps up.

The trip is short. Yes, I think it's a good idea you rent gear you are familiar with. All gear is likely good but you're adjusted to certain gear. I found this was most important for the sail. I've used full x ply sails of styles different than mine and found them "dead."

When talking about gear (if you go to 2nd wind) try talking to Kevin Ozee (owner). Others can be helpful but sometimes they kite only and come and go.

I'd like to get out there again but don't feel it's likely this coming spring.

Good luck!
Mike

by Cathulu » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:29 pm

I used to go every year around the summer solstice. I used Kanahai Kai for rentals - they are closest to Kanaha beach. A board and two sails covers most conditions. I could always get that into a compact rental car and still have my wife comfortable in the car lol. If conditions are good find a couple of folks to do a downwinder from Ho’okipa to Kanaha. That is doable for an intermediate level windsurfer.

Kihei is also sailable by the Maui Sunset property and North of that. In Kihei watch out for the reef, you need to know where the reef openings are to get out because you will hit the reef with your fin otherwise. Kihei is best when the trade winds go the wrong way.

Have a great time!
Cathulu

by vtsarkov » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:14 pm

Thank you Bryan, Mike, and "Cathulu".

All tips have been carefully noted. Arranging gear now.

I owe you a trip report and some backloop attempt videos (crashes) :D
---

-Vadim
vtsarkov

Return to Windsurfing